3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Serrated Broadheads??  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Stalker58

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Serrated Broadheads??
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 06:01:00 AM »
I'm with ChuckC. A smooth blade cuts raw meat much better than serrated blade.
Ever see a butcher use a serrated knife?

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 06:06:00 AM »
NO - it is on both sides.  I used a 1/2 wide or so metal checkering file and just get the one side started carefully then turn over and repeat in the same grooves.  Rather small nasty sharp serrations created.  Small enough that you just sharpen as usual ignoring them and the blade can be honed and stropped to your fine polished edge with a dozen or so nasty grabbers at the trailing edge of both blades that will not sneak past any artery even if you pass through bone on the way and dull the honed edge.

Not that a smooth edge doesn't cut well or that there is really any debate beyond preference as to your choice but comparing a single pass through the boiler room to a butcher is not apples to even limes.  A butcher is making pretty cuts and has the option of running the knife past multiple times - a broadhead is a one shot deal with the goal of maximum damage.  Having the small serrations offers some potential lethality of grab vs. slide past on even the arteries that are barely being touched.  With the rubber band trick it really becomes quite apparent.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
Unless a person has killed more than a few critters with both serrated and smooth edged heads they can only speculate on the difference in effectiveness of the two edges.

As I said earlier I started using serrated heads 50 years ago before they were available commercially. I filed my own serrations on my heads and they were very effective.

If the shot is right through the old livin room as John Grumley used to say, the type of edge on a broadhead doesn't matter as much as a marginal hit where every severed artery is important. In a case like that my vote goes to the serrated head.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Unless a person has killed more than a few critters with both serrated and smooth edged heads they can only speculate on the difference in effectiveness of the two edges.

As I said earlier I started using serrated heads 50 years ago before they were available commercially. I filed my own serrations on my heads and they were very effective.

If the shot is right through the old livin room as John Grumley used to say, the type of edge on a broadhead doesn't matter as much as a marginal hit where every severed artery is important. In a case like that my vote goes to the serrated head.
Which would you give the edge to, a wide straight edge like a Treesharks or a narrower head with serrations like a Magnus Buzzcut?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
 Which would you give the edge to, a wide straight edge like a Treesharks or a narrower head with serrations like a Magnus Buzzcut?  
I've always liked a big two blade head. In the 50's I used the Goshawk broadhead then when the Pearson Dead Head came out I went to that. I used the Simmons head for awhile and for the last several years I've used the Ace Super Express. I've used other heads in between but always went back to the big two blades...not because they were better necessarily, I just liked the looks of the big two blade and the hole they punched.

If someone came out with a big two blade with a serrated edge, I'd love it.

As has been stated before ," there isn't anything sliding past the serrated blade."
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
I have always thought the best edge for a broadhead was one that was file sharpened but that could still shave hair.   BILL

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
Ditto on what Ron has said and with same time experience. I started with Eskimos though and stuck with them for years. I chainsaw filed four serrations on the extreme back of the blade and stropped to razor sharp the entire blade. I have never questioned the effectiveness of that setup and agree that when its in the boiler room with smooth or serrated the animal is usually down quick. Funny thing though is that sometimes you hit back too far, foreward too far, down too low or up too high. As much as we like if we hunt enough we will get some marginal shots for various reasons.
Touching an artery with a serrated head could possibly make the difference between a wounded animal and a dead one. JMHO.
All this said this year I am hunting with the new Grizzly three blade and they are not serrated. LO

God bless, Steve

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
I like filed "sticky sharp" heads much like James Kerr referred to.  Not really serrated although I imagine it would look so under magnification.

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use a Buzzcut or some other serrated head though.  In fact I hunted with Buzzcuts a little in the past when we still carried them but never happened to kill anything with one.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
The Magnus 150gr Buzzcut looks pretty good to me.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
The Buzzcut looks like my Eskimos that I serrate except for the venting. I even sharpen the back edge like that and tanto the point.
God bless, Steve

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
I've never tried a serrated edge?  Hey Bill, buy me a pack and I'll get back to you!    :laughing:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
I did this today with a Needle file I bought at the hardware store

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
Looks good Ron!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
I did it to a Simmons too  

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
I like the looks of that Simmons.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by jkm97:
I like the looks of that Simmons.
X 2!
James Kerr

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
A serrated edge cuts tissue and arterys better, that's why steak knives are serrated. Granted a sharp straight edge cuts good but I think there's an advantage with serrations when you get a marginal hit you need all of the cutting advantage you can get and "no artery is going to slid past a serrated edge."

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 03:19:00 AM »
Hello Ron

Very interesting point of vue but how you sharpen

that serrated part ?

thank you

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 04:47:00 AM »
I use a tapered diamond rod to sharpen serrations. I would think a round file such as a chainsaw file in the proper size would work well too.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »
If you make small serrations you can sharpen the head as usual - like it were just a straight edge.  The part that matters id the tips of the serrations - they do all the dirty work.  No need to worry about the valleys.  Use your file, lansky type system or whatever and just sharpen right through them like you always did.  Good to go.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©