3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with narrowing choices down-hunting recurve  (Read 244 times)

Offline philos

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with narrowing choices down-hunting recurve
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
Or help with providing choices

I am hoping to make a purchase soon but am a bit perplexed on some issues.  I was about to buy a Samick Sage but honestly I want a 1 piece bow (simple personal preference).  I am hoping to get some guidance to help with the bow choice particulars.

What I want is a 1 piece recurve in the 40# range.  I like the thought of a shorter bow but I realize I may be asking for trouble (stacking) and I would guess a shorter bow might not be as "forgiving".  I also have short fat fingers so I am hoping the grip would be a good fit.  

I like a satin or very low to no-gloss finish on a bow also. This is not super critical just a preference for the bow finish.

To give my intended usage details and vitals:

I intend this to be a hunting bow primarily and I intend to use a 2 blade broad-head for big game.  I would like a small quiver to attach to the bow also.  Probably shoot carbon or aluminum with 5 inch feathers.

My draw is around 26 inches and I am right eye dominant and will be a right hand shooter.  

Since this will be my first trad in a LONG time I want to try and do it right and have this serve my purposes for a few years.  I love the look of the various trad bows but I don't really intend to collect bows and I am hoping this will be a "do it all" bow for me.

Lastly (sadly) price matters.  If I am to do this sooner rather later I need to keep the price of bow alone under $300.00 to allow extra funds for accessories.

I appreciate any and all feed back and suggestions.

Thank you!

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with narrowing choices down-hunting recurve
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
Just saw a Lost Creek 58" 38@28" longbow for $300.00.Sponser Class.

Offline philos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Thanks very much Kip but I am hoping for a recurve

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Philos, your best strategy, by far ,is to either join or visit by permission a local archery club on a traditional shoot night or weekend and see what other folks are shooting. Most Trad hunters are very willing to talk about their bows , why they shoot what they shoot and even let you shoot a few arrows into a bale with their bow to see how it feels. Some folks swear by 48" bows and others want 66" and everything in between. Be thinking about what and where you'll be doing most of your hunting, as a short, light bow can be a nice thing when youre doing a lot of walking to hunt in a tree stand, a longer bow, especially a heavier recurve with a lot of mass in the riser, may be easier to develop confidence in. If you're not dead set on a new bow, you can buy a whole bunch of really good used bows for $300. A good rule of thumb is that 30 minutes more practice each week will be far more advantageous than spending $30 more on equipment.  If you're not familiar with the make or the model, just ask..odds are you'll find lots of folks here who have shot that model.

Good luck!
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
Doesn't Samick make a Red Stag 1pc or something else like that?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
I shoot a 26" draw as well and believe you will find a 58" or longer bow plenty comfortable and stable to shoot.  That leaves you many options.  A 1964-67 model Bear Grizzly is a GREAT shooting bow and the later models aren't bad either.  There are also plenty of Pearson, Hoyt, Damon Howatt and other on the used market for well below your price.  Do try to save some extra for arrows.  Good arrows well matched to the bow are more important than the bow itself.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
He brings up a good point, no reason you can't find a used Grizzly, Kodiak Mag or something similar that will give you all the performance you need on a budget.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
I'm with the guys above.  There are plenty of vintage bows out there for sale with your specs and price range. The used bow market is down somewhat and a good time to buy.

Find a good used Bear, Howatt, Wing, etc. and keep in mind the fact that they will still perform with many of today's custom bows and maybe even look better.  

Also, when the trading or selling bug bites, you will most likely get your money back.
Lon Scott

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
Used Bear Grizzly.
I'd consider your draw weight though.  40# @ 28 and your at about 35# @26.  Some states have a minimal draw weight....
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline seabound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
I'm in agreeance with what has already been said. A friend bought a Samick, I tired it, didn't care for it. You'd better off buying a used custom.
The only physical manifestation of Zen is archery

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
Don't forget about the Bear Kodiak Hunter. Smooth drawing to about 28", readily available and very affordable. A classic.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©