3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how much sinew?  (Read 551 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
how much sinew?
« on: September 28, 2007, 06:15:00 AM »
I have a hickory self bow thats 66" long with 2" wide limbs that I would like to back with sinew. What kind of sinew is best and approximately how much would it take? Should I use wider backstrap or narrower leg? Deer or elk? Thanks
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how much sinew?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
Elk sinew is wonderful stuff. I prefer Elk to all sinew. Hickory really shouldn't need sinew for protection but you can add it for a performance boost. Problem is that Hickory will suck up the moisture from the sinew application and will harbor it for a long time if it's not driven back out. This will sometime lead to a performance loss instead of gain due to the moisture content of the wood. Also, sinew won't do much in the performance department for such a long bow. Sinews properties work much better in the short bow department. Try sinew on a 60-62" bow.

Answer to the question: I'd use about four sinews stripped down very thin. This will look like an enormous pile when you are done stripping. You will think it will never fit it all on the bow. When you think it's too much keep adding. Sinew will draw up and look very thin once cured. Ferret and a few others have sinew-alongs on their web sites. You should be extreemly prepared before touching the glue. The last thing you want to do is have to strip more sinew in the middle of the project. Good luck. CK

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 06:41:00 AM »
Just for the "how to"
 http://bowyersworkshop.com/sinew.html

But a hickory bow that wide and long probably doesn't gain much for all the work you put into the sinew job. If you are looking for protection use rawhide, much simpler process.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 06:45:00 AM »
Thanks CK. Do you mean 4 backstrap or 4 leg sinew?
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »
Leg.

Just looked at your profile. We're born on the same day but 7 years appart. Christmas baby. I did it in 67'. CK

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »
Sweet. Hows the birthday parties and presents been? I think I just got a Christmas present wrapped in birthday paper.  "[dntthnk]"

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
Like CK said, hickory is very hygroscopic. It takes on moisture and is slow to release it. I made a sinew backed hickory bow a few years ago((my interpretation of Jay Massey's Medicine Bow) and depending on the humidity, the weight change can be from 45# to 70#. I added 3 courses of sinew to this bow and waited at least 1 month between each course.The bow still shoots well and has held it's reflex but gets mushy when humid.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Eric Garza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
I'd agree with the folks above.  There isn't much to gain in terms of performance here from sinew, all you'd gain is insurance against breakage and there are other, much less time intensive ways to get this.

-Eric
-Eric Garza
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Only when the last tree has been cut, the last river poisoned, and the last meadow paved will Man realize that he cannot eat money...

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
A big overbuilt bow like that will take a BUNCH of sinew.  A BUNCH of sinew is very heavy.  Very heavy, long limbs are very slow.  Save the work for a better candidate.  A 60" hickory with 2" limb, short handle and fades, holmegard like  tips...now that is your candidate.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Thats the direction I was working John but the bowyers bible recommended a design like this and it is a bible. I think I got it now. Thanks John.
Brian

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©