3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rattling/calling from the ground?  (Read 242 times)

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
Rattling/calling from the ground?
« on: October 08, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
I'd be interested in hearing about your experience, positive  and negative if you have used this technique.

Also, if you have been successful any pointers would be appreciated.
TOBY

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Rattling/calling from the ground?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
While I haven't killed anything yet, I used a fawn in distress call and had a doe come charging in and busted me about 3 wks ago. If done right and used during the right time, these techniques work.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
Toby,
  I've tried it for years and had deer respond but no shots were forthcoming. The deer approach locked in on your position and looking hard for the 'deer' they heard. Also, they have a tendency to circle downwind if they can't see the deer they expect to see. Others have used a decoy in conjunction with calling, I understand, with success but haven't used one myself. It's very exciting when it works!
                      Good hunting,
                           Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
I'm going to try a kind of an elk calling tactic in reverse. I am going to do a rattling sequence and then move about 50 yards downwind, hoping they will circle and have there attention focused on the spot I' called from, a decoy would be great.
TOBY

Offline mellonhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
I have rattled in quite a few whitetails on the ground.  One trick I have learned is when I find a spot I want to rattle from I turn around and rattle the other direction.  I then turn around as soon as I'm done rattling.  I think this makes a bulk of the noise bounce off my torso and actually makes it sound to the deer like I'm 20 yards further away.  Since I have started doing this I have had more buck work past me trying to find the source of the calling.  Before I used this method they always seemed to stop 25-30 yards out looking for me.  

Toby

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
I have been rattling for years.  I have had some good success with it.  But remember you have to hit it at that right magical time.  I have had buddies that have scared deer off rattling to early in the season.  I usually do not try rattling till around Veterans day.  For some reason that seems to be about the right time.  Good luck.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »
I have had many mixed reactions using calls on the ground. Some have been pretty scary. Remember, when you rattle, your position is locked on by interested bucks. I wouldn't move once you rattle. Some bucks show up in seconds! I have had them show up, puffed up, drooling, and red eyed ready for action. Tough to get that shot though when they are all wound up and looking for you.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »
I get 20 plus deer in this way every year, some time bucks are so rutted and focused, they don't care about you drawing, other times they will pin you ASAP.  Best is to use tree behind you, open in front.  I use scent wafers around me and in a strategic spot out front (upwind).  rattle(min or two) hard every 15-20 min and sit, they will find you. be aware and good luck.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
The best buck I ever shot was drawn in by ground grunt/rattle method. I was in a horse pasture wearing full camo w/ head cover. Alot of scenerios came into play. It was late morning and a rain storm had just ended. The pasture was on a large hillside. I headed up the south side to take advantage of the prevailing wind. As I came over the crest there was a brushy patch against the woodline where I imediately jumped a buck tending a doe. They were on alert star'ing staight at me. I tried to draw real slow but the buck fled off first like a bat out of hell with the doe close behind. Thinking I had blown my best chance I proceeded on over the crest and down the north slope. At about two thirds the way down and not seeing a thing I decided to try a little grunt/rattlebag action.I set up on one knee in a patch of 3-4' tall grass. I started with some agressive rattling followed by a couple of pronounced grunts. Imediately I hear crashing within the woodline. I follow up with one more loud grunt. Suddenly about 25 yds from me I see the barbwire fence lift up and a set of horns come trough. Unable to take a shot due to he is still in the heavy brush engulfing the fence I let out one light toned grunt. He spints 10 yds out into the open field closing gap between he and I. As he stands broadside looking back and forth for his suspected adversary I drew and took a minimal yardage shot. The arrow struck a little futher back than I like. He bucked and charged off leaping the fence into the woodline. I couldnt find a drop of blood. As I pushed into the wooded area I found him downhill about 30 yds away with a small amount of blood on his nose.
I think alot of things came into play for my end result. After a heavy rain, a buck tending a doe in the same area, wind direction, being full camo in good cover, and the toning down of the grunts as he closed in. I have had calling backfire on me from the ground as well as from a treestand. I will continue to call/rattle no matter what the outcome. I will only learn to get better at it from trying.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
Toby and Mellonhead have good ideas, you must remember they can lock in on your position from a good distance away to within 2-3 yds, so they are coming in expecting to see another animal that is also looking for them, put out a decoy, that's a lot of fun, make sure you bring your camera !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©