3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions on Limb Cores, Veneers, and Performance/Feel  (Read 357 times)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions on Limb Cores, Veneers, and Performance/Feel
« on: October 08, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
So, I'm kicking around the idea of ordering a recurve, and I was wondering how much, if any, difference can be found in various limb cores and whether it makes any difference at all which veneers one chooses when it comes to the bow's performance and feel.  Most of my reading indicates that design has more to do with the shooting qualities of a recurve than materials.  I was debating whether to get a simple actionwood bow (not even sure what actionwood is made from these days), which is much cheaper, or whether to get a fancy bow with bamboo cores and veneers.  Most opinions I have read seem to favor bamboo as a limb core, for various reasons.  It would be cheaper to get the nicer bow with elm cores, which I like the looks of anyway, but I figure that if I'm spending the money I might as well get the bamboo.  So, is it going to make any difference in the way the bow feels, smoothness of draw, etc., and in the actual speed I will get from the bow if I opt for one core over the others?  Also, if I get bamboo, does the veneer choice have any effect at all on the performance and feel of the bow?  I know this is going to fall into the realm of opinion, but I would still like to hear some of those opinions before I decide.  Thanks, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions on Limb Cores, Veneers, and Performance/Feel
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
Since 88% of the performance of a bow comes from the glass on either side of the core, the actual core contribution is not all that much (2%).  I wouldn't use Balsa or Aspen for a core, but quantifiable, measurable differences between other woods is pretty much a moot point.  

I mostly use cheap pine lams for my prototype bow  designs, and there is no noticeable performance enhancement when I build the finished bow with Red Elm or any other wood.  IMHO sexy woods in a bow are only going to cost more, not score more points or bring home more game.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
I'm an insensitive cuss, but I can't for the life of me feel the difference between boo,elm maple, walnut or anything.

I built 4 bows the same about 5 years ago with walnut , a-boo, maple, and red elm edge grain cores and black glass to test different core material. There was slight difference in draw weights, and I didn't have time to fully test with exactly the same gpp, but the weight/speed ratio was real close on all 4....

I think the bow design will dictate the speed(mostly)

Ask your bowyer his opinion since he has built that design.

Your mileage may vary!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
It will be a Wes Wallace bow; the one I have now is a Mentor with red elm limbs, and I like it.  Wes says that one can see a slight difference at a chrono with bamboo in his recurves, but it would take a chrono to see the difference.  I'm just wondering if the actionwood is going to feel "stiffer" and maybe give a bit more handshock because of its mass compared to bamboo.  Bamboo bows I've shot did seem very smooth, but this is so subjective that it's really hard to say if they are smoother or if it's just a belief.  I do plan to go up five pounds on my draw weight for this bow, so I'd like a smoother feeling bow if it's possible to get it.  I do know that some bows feel harder to pull at the same peak weight, though.  I make parts for compound bows, and I know that the draw cycle can be played with to feel harder or softer at the same peak weight, just as the draw stroke can be made longer or shorter by deflexing or reflexing the riser.  With a compound, it's a given that no matter what the peak weight is on two bows which pull the same amount, the bow that shoots faster AMO is going to require more energy to pull and will feel harder to pull.  It can't be any other way, given that stored energy is created by exerted energy, unless there is an huge difference in dynamic efficiency between bows, which there is not in modern compounds.  Recurves are bit more subjective, though.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
I have a great northern critter gitter that Jerry told me has a red actionwood core.  He said that it was essentially laminated maple.  I have read other bowyers say they like actionwood because of it's consistency.  Might be the reason why Schafer uses it as their standard limb core for their silver tips.  All I know is my critter gitter spits out an arrow like nothing I have ever shot. I love it!  Check it out.

"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
I definately feel that bamboo has a smoother feel on the draw, performance-wise, I'm not sure. It certainly is a good, lightweight core but it's hard to beat good old maple.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
Limb core material actually plays a larger part than most would think in the performance of a bow. Limb design is of course number one but the core material does make a difference. As far as veneers, most are only .020" thick or less so unless we get really nitpicky about it veneers don't make much difference if any on some designs.
James Kerr

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
I can't tell the difference between bamboo and elm and yew as core woods (and grass). So the choice is really up to the bowyer. I don't know any of them claiming to build 'leading edge low-performance' bows.    :bigsmyl:

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
I have shot some actionwood bows that felt really "thumpy" on the shot compared to other woods, but those were older bows and the strings may have had as much to do with that feel as the limbs did.  The vast majority of people seem to prefer bamboo, if they have a choice, according to everything I read.  I assume there is a reason for this.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
I prefer bamboo core with no veneers for a smooth bow . The well respected bowyer who built all of my bows says bamboo is a tad smoother and maple a tad faster in his bows .
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
I have had bows with pretty much any core material that you can imagine and I like them all...there are other more important things to think about when ordering a bow...and the right string can vastly change the performance of any bow...I just got a BXY-X string made for this old bow which many would say should not be shot with any string...seems to me it is about as nice a bow to shoot as any I have ever owned...54 year old maple cores and zebrawood veneers with glass that is supposed to blow up when you look at it sideways

DDave

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Hmm, not sure what to think.  The cost difference between a plain actionwood bow and a fancy, veneered bamboo bow is substantial, and I wouldn't worry nearly as much about the actionwood in the woods.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
The performance of a bow is in the design. The materials have very little to do with it.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©