3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I have nothing against treestands....  (Read 405 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have nothing against treestands....
« on: October 09, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
....and have several hung on my lease.  But I haven't been in one yet this year.  I have hunted 4 times since October 1st, ground hunted every sit. And I have enjoyed myself literally every moment out there. Treestands are becoming uncomfortable to me, I find it a contest with myself to stay out. I just may be a permanent ground pounder.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I have nothing against treestands....
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    The majority of my hunting the last 5 years has been done on the ground and I believe it has made me a much better "hunter".  I too enjoy my time on the ground.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
I just built me a torges seat and for the first time in prob 20 years have started ground hunting.  My 13 year old helped me build a natural blind to sit in and we had a great time!  I just sat it last night...no deer but had some squirrels tempting me bad at 10 feet!  I have sat on the ground a few times now and am loving it as well Roger.  I see many more ground sits in my future and love the torges seat.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
Roger,
I haven't been in one yet either, but I've been hunting with Morgan(13 year old daughter for Tradgangers fyi) every sit I've made.  We had a doe and fawn close last Sunday night to a blind that we just built in the rain the day before. We found a nice spot behind the house a couple of hundred yards that had a couple of large juniper bushes already creating a natural blind. I dug a couple of holes for our legs to sit in so our profile is right on the ground and Morgan gathered some straight sticks (used zip ties to create a sparse frame) and ferns and we brushed in the blind the rest of the way.  The doe was at 25 yards and didn't see us (but winded us).  

I probably won't bring a tree stand to camp this year. Just a Double Bull blind to set on the food plot for turkeys and my chair and folding saw/clippers for sitting on the ground.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
I have hunted the ground for 35 years. Treestands are still a novelty for me and I look forward to my laid back whitetail hunts in a treestand.  I love the views and it is cool to have deer or other critters right below you.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
I think a tree stand gives a guy a great advantage and love mine, and will use it in places.

But it's gotten to the point as a DIY public land hunter, trees = more hunters.

Guy has to get more savvy and hunt from the ground in treeless places.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
I much prefer a ground blind and think he shot angle is much better from the ground, but will hunt elevated if that is what the situation dictates.

Bisch

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
98% of the time my boots are on the ground. The other 2% may find me in a tree if I have to hunt in gun season with my bow, just feels a little safer up there and am usually in really thick stuff.

Good Hunting,
                                                                   Craig

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Being on the ground allows you to hunt so many places that deer love to be but don't have huntable trees. Opens up a whole new world.

I personally still spend 99% of my time in trees but I see these areas for ground hunting only all over the place. I'm saving them for the time when I no longer lije tree stands....lol gives me something to look forward to a few years from now, just like fly fishing and ice fishing.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
I'm on the ground too. The older I get the less comfortable I am at heights, so, I just set up on the ground or slip around at mid-day if its safe. I recently was talking with a work acquaintance who suggested I come hunt some public land with him. He seemed excited about it until I told him I preferred to stay on the ground. He said in an almost derisive tone, "you can't kill a deer on the ground with a bow?" Just use on of my loc ons. I insisted that I have done it and it was not just dumb luck, but now he seems much less interested. Could it be that tree standers don't like ground pounders? Do they think we are just stinking up the woods and wasting time? Guess I'm going to have to prove it now.
Member NCBA

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
Roger......I've hunted primarily from the ground the past 5 years......a good chair is a must.....for me ....I need lower back support ! Jim Jones (firefly bows) turned me on to these.....they don't look like much and are a tad pricey..50.00(USA made).. the quality is fantastic....unfortunately the colors are for campers not hunters........I was lucky to find a green one and painted the legs flat black.......at 2.5 pounds....these chairs are the ground pounders solution to a light,comfortable,compact chair......the back folds down backwards and chair rolls up in seconds....toss it over your shoulder like a back quiver....get the taller model so you're not squatting and have bow clearance....best chair for hunting I've found!      http://www.camptime.com/roll-a-chair.htm
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 01:33:00 AM »
Yep, on the ground all the time!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 01:39:00 AM »
Safer and more fun on the ground. Glad to hear you are enjoying your hunts.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 05:16:00 AM »
I WANT to be on the ground as the older me is having  trouble getting up there, but it ALMOST feels like an unfair advantage to be above the activity. Better view of the incoming and PERHAPS more movement on my part acceptable. Going to ladder stands makes the getting up part easier.
But the excitement of being at eye level and getting it done would be enough to make me a convert, I'm sure. Will soon be a necessity for me, I feel.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 05:51:00 AM »
I am built funny I am fairly average in hieght but have short legs ( 25" inseam)This gives me a high center of gravity even in my younger thinner days. I have never been comfortable in a tree stand. strictly a ground hunter

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 06:02:00 AM »
I hear ya Roger. Might go airborne this weekend tho.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 06:21:00 AM »
I have nothing against hunting on the ground but for some reason I prefer hunting from above,,   :D  

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by jacobsladder:
Roger......I've hunted primarily from the ground the past 5 years......a good chair is a must.....for me ....I need lower back support ! Jim Jones (firefly bows) turned me on to these.....they don't look like much and are a tad pricey..50.00(USA made).. the quality is fantastic....unfortunately the colors are for campers not hunters........I was lucky to find a green one and painted the legs flat black.......at 2.5 pounds....these chairs are the ground pounders solution to a light,comfortable,compact chair......the back folds down backwards and chair rolls up in seconds....toss it over your shoulder like a back quiver....get the taller model so you're not squatting and have bow clearance....best chair for hunting I've found!       http://www.camptime.com/roll-a-chair.htm  
Nice stool, thank you!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »
Roger, Let me/us know if you find the smoking deal on that chair. I need something soon.  I hope they are tall enough for my leggy self.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
JMG, I would love to go to work with you sometime. Always wanted to climb those bridges. I think it would be cool to work there.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©