3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Huntmore Chair; I'm going to Ground this Year.  (Read 730 times)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on the Huntmore Chair; I'm going to Ground this Year.
« on: October 09, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
Never used or seen one in person.  I'm going to climb down and hunt from the ground this year, and I have severe back problems, so I must have something with a back rest on it.  I have read good reports on this chair, but wondered what other members thought about it, and whether there were other options out there for less money?
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on the Huntmore Chair; I'm going to Ground this Year.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
love, love, love.

hunted about 50/50 ground/tree last year, and it may be all ground this year.

i hunt out of good sized commercial ground blinds, and i can sit in this chair for hours without getting uncomfortable (2 back surgeries). it's super quiet and well-built.

there have been some similar options produced since this chair got popular, but i don't see how the cheaper ones could even come close. the thing is ruggedly built, out of GOOD materials. that's why it's expensive.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
Double Bull makes a good chair with a backrest. Never used the Huntmore, but the DB makes for a comfortable sit, and it is a lot less money.
 http://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos-Double-Bull-QS-Magnum-Tri-Stool/744976.uts
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
I have had one for years. Its a love/hate relationship. I don't like carrying it (12#) and I think its a pain to setup and take down. BUT...the thing is sure great to sit in and hunt out of. I am always looking for something as comfortable but lighter and easier to put up and down...still looking..

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
sorry but the 12# weight is eactly why I opted out.  I just can't see a stool weighing as much as my complete treestand does.  With all the modern technology in aluminum I can't believe someone has not been able to come up with an adjustable and stable swivel stool that weighs less than 5 pounds.  Until they do I will stick with my Waldrops and Hammock seat.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
I have found mine to be very un-comfortable.  Maybe my butt is just not shaped for this chair.  As far as I am concerned, I would not spend that kind of money again.  Just my experience.
PBS Associate Member
Lone Star Bow Hunters Association

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
Wow, twelve pounds?!!!!  Did not know that.  My loc-ons weigh quite a bit less than that.  That's a problem, for sure.  I might have to look into the Double Bull chair.  There is some chair that's always in Trad Bowhunter mag, plastic with a round seat, adjustable legs, etc.  Anyone familiar with that chair?

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
i guess i'm the exception in the crowd. i don't have to pack in a long ways where i hunt, and i'm not carrying a tree stand if i'm hunting from the ground, so the weight's not really an issue.

i also don't break the thing down before i carry it in. i just fold the legs in, and carry it already set up. not a problem at all. i have the larger size of the two offered, and it's extremely comfortable.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
I looked at one several years ago, and at that time, I'm pretty sure that the manufacturer told me that including the carry bag, they weighed 9lbs?

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Just went to download a pdf file on it, and it says the chair weighs 10.5 pounds........pretty hefty.

Online George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
I have a number of seats for ground hunting including the Huntmore and the new one from Millennium, the G100.

Try the Millennium.  More comfortable.  Easier to put together and carry, and weighs about 3 pounds less.  You can order direct from Millennium if you can't find it at your local sporting goods store, and get it delivered for $200.00.

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
I've got two Huntmores; the 19" and the 16" and I don't think you can beat them. They will last forever, are quiet and comfortable. The money I spent on cheap chairs that broke after a season easily exceeded what I paid for one Huntmore.

Folks complain about their weight and cost all the time but I look at it this way. These same folks don't think twice about dropping 4 bills for a Lone Wolf climbing stand or packing it in somewhere to use. Well, the Huntmore is MY treestand for the ground.

Darren

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
Never tried the Huntmore but X2 on the Millenium G100.  Very comfortable, easy to set-up and silent swivel.  I'm not a small guy so I often look at weight ratings to get an idea how solid something is built and the Millenium G100 supports up to 400 lbs..  I also plan to use mine as my camp chair.

Online kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by johnnyk71:
i guess i'm the exception in the crowd. i don't have to pack in a long ways where i hunt, and i'm not carrying a tree stand if i'm hunting from the ground, so the weight's not really an issue.

i also don't break the thing down before i carry it in. i just fold the legs in, and carry it already set up. not a problem at all. i have the larger size of the two offered, and it's extremely comfortable.
Yes, it does weigh 12#s, but if you want a well built metal chair, it isn't going to be a   featherwietht. I also don't break it down all the way. I really like mine.
Ken Thornhill

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
[/QUOTE]Yes, it does weigh 12#s, but if you want a well built metal chair, it isn't going to be a   featherwietht. I also don't break it down all the way. I really like mine. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Seems like Millenium figured out how to do it for almost 5 pounds less.  I can see even further weight reductions on it.

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by dhaverstick:
I've got two Huntmores; the 19" and the 16" and I don't think you can beat them. They will last forever, are quiet and comfortable. The money I spent on cheap chairs that broke after a season easily exceeded what I paid for one Huntmore.

Folks complain about their weight and cost all the time but I look at it this way. These same folks don't think twice about dropping 4 bills for a Lone Wolf climbing stand or packing it in somewhere to use. Well, the Huntmore is MY treestand for the ground.

Darren
Actually it is not the price for me - its the weight.  And when you hike in like I do and often move each day you start weighing everything as every ounce on your back counts.  I suppose if I owned my own land and I hunted on flat land I wouldn't mind as much.

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
I've not had to spend a dime on another piece of junk chair since I bought a HuntMore. That includes the Double Bull Magnum (2) that my teenage son broke. None of those cheapies compare for comfort and none last. The HM is the only chair I can sit ALL day in. It is not that heavy...I pack it all over the country with a recurve size Double Bull.

The HuntMore is one of the few things worth it's price. It will last a lifetime and it works great.

I've probably spent double on all the cheap junk chairs I bought over the years. It took me a LONG time to pony up for the HM and when I did I realized the big mistake I had been making all along. Wish I had bought one sooner.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
I looked at one several years ago, and at that time, I'm pretty sure that the manufacturer told me that including the carry bag, they weighed 9lbs?

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
you know it really is not that hard to do a Google search and check. The small huntmore weighs 10.5# and a large is 12 pounds.

Some obviously like it. ... personally for me, and how I hunt, it's to heavy...period.  it has NOTHING to do with cost or how many seats I do or dont break (I've never broke one yet)..... it weighs too dang much to tote around in the woods.

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
Sounds like the Millenium is very close to the same price, though.  I will be hunting on private land, no more than a mile walk in, and I will already have the ground blinds built when I go, so I don't need to pack all the other stuff, like netting, saws, etc.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©