3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching tape - why are my feathers moving?  (Read 650 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching tape - why are my feathers moving?
« on: October 09, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
I have been using some fletching tape for a little while now and i noticed that some of my feathers are moving around my shaft.  They were all fletched dead on with my jo jan mono fletch, now they are not evenly spaced out.  

Am i doing something wrong?  

Anyone ever experienced this?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching tape - why are my feathers moving?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Are you using your thumb to press the fletching down to the shaft after it is out of the jig?

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Are you placing a dab of glue on each end of the fletch? The only time I have ever noticed this with tape is when I have done Aluminum and did not clean the shaft very well. Now when I do Alum. I dip and crest.No issues

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
man i have the same problems, i have used tape for a number of years now.
 i have tried ever way of prepping shafts, applying tape, whatever.
 they always seem to slide around the shaft, glue or no glue on the tips. crest or no crest it doesnt seem to matter.
 i know some folks love tape but i have mixed emotions about it.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
Use acetone to clean shafts before fletching.  Take your thumbnail and run it down the quill from tip to base using good pressure after they come out of the jig; I do this a couple of times.  Put a drop of glue on tip and base of each feather (a tiny drop).  I have arrows that have been fletched for years with tape without ever moving.  It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  P.S.:  I also press down on the clamp for a sec when I apply the feather in the jig, and I don't put the quill quite flush with the edge of the clamp when I place it in there.  Maybe 1/16 out from the edge of clamp.  I got better results this way, as sometimes I wouldn't get consistent helical or fletching would fail to get all the way down on the shaft in places with the quill seated flush with the edge of the clamp.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Are you using Bhoning brand tape?
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Paul_R:
Are you using Bhoning brand tape?
yes,  I am using wraps as well.  So there shouldn't be an issue there.  

I have never had great success with using tape.  Some stays, some doesn't.  The ONLY reason i use it is because of the speed.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
Are you using your thumb to press the fletching down to the shaft after it is out of the jig?

DDave
I usually just push down and hold he jig up against the shaft for a few seconds.  I have tried pushing the quill down with my thumb and had a few slide on me so i quit that.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
I have used Bohning fletch tape for 20 years. I always put at least one drop of fletch tite on each end of feather. But some times I run a thin bead of fletch tite glue all the way down the Quill, all my hunting arrows are done this way. I have lost arrows in the woods/swamp and found them a year or more later. The feathers will be mostly gone but the quill and Fletch tape will still be intact..

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
Yup... and Welcome to the great divide of tape lovers vs. not so much.  

It is one of the oddest and yet most cordial debates on this site.

I have been fletching arrows for 20 years - wood, aluminum, and carbon.  I have tried it...had the same issue...tried many of the fixes - they weren't... and decided to move on, because glue just works.  

I use gorilla super glue and the time difference between tape and super glue is minimal and I don't have problems w/glue.  

Actually if you take into account the cutting of the tape and the peeling of the tape it may be the same amount of time or at least very close.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by lt-m-grow:
Yup... and Welcome to the great divide of tape lovers vs. not so much.  

It is one of the oddest and yet most cordial debates on this site.

I have been fletching arrows for 20 years - wood, aluminum, and carbon.  I have tried it...had the same issue...tried many of the fixes - they weren't... and decided to move on, because glue just works.  

I use gorilla super glue and the time difference between tape and super glue is minimal and I don't have problems w/glue.  

Actually if you take into account the cutting of the tape and the peeling of the tape it may be the same amount of time or at least very close.
I think the time saved is really between the time you finish the fletching job and start shooting.  I have some new arrows to do this evening so I will give it another shot.  I have some arrows that turn out perfect, others look like i fletched them while intoxicated.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
I'm personally not a fan.  I've tried everything to keep them in place. The strength of the quill over powers the strength of the glue.  The other bad part is, the residue left behind when you need to pull one off and re fletch is kind of gummy and difficult to clean off. I'll stick to good ol fletch tite.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
Use Duco.  Fret less.
Silence is golden.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
Same problem here. Add a back quiver and 90* temps and they really slide around....... went back to glue many yeas ago now...........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
I had issues with tape so stopped using it. In hot weather the taped feather lay down a little or moved slightly regardless of glue on the ends.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by sweeney3:
Use Duco.  Fret less.
Be careful using Duco on wraps.  It will not hold on some wraps.  

I am a glue guy.  Never used tape, but I know that trying to get the tape on, backing off with my fat fingers will likely not work very good.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
I recently started using the tape and I noticed the same thing but only when I apply pressure. I put super glue on both ends of the feather and have not seen any bad results. I do like the easy application of the tape.

I have never used Gorilla Super Glue on feathers and carbon arrows before, I may give that a try. Although I can honestly say that I have never had any issues with Fletch Tite Platinum. I simply ran out of Fletch Tite and had some fletching tape that a buddy gave me so I tried it.

There's nothing worse than having a feather fly off the shaft while shooting. I really enjoy threads like this, there's always something else to learn.  :thumbsup:

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
I started using tape last year.  My feathers were not quite seated on the shaft after application.  I press the quill down with my thumb also.  Gentle pressure, nothing excessive.  I had one or two pop loose after shooting through my layered target.

I now apply a drop of Duco to the leading and trailing portion of the feather.

I just shot through a deer Tuesday night with a taped, fletched, arrow.  Complete pass through, got my arrow back in one piece.  I washed, dryed and steamed the feathers back to good condition.  Still attached...

I was having issues using glue.  They seemed to let loose in the cold Illinois temps.  I'm sold on the tape until I see otherwise.

-Jeremy

P.S.  My arrows are finished with polyurethane also.  Not sure if that makes a difference.
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
I gave up on the tape also. It might take a little longer but my feathers stay where I where want them with Fletch-Tite.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
I no longer fletch my own arrows...my arrow supplier is so good with tape that he guarantees his fletching will stay put and he has never had a return...I imagine he has some things he does differently that he learned by trial and error...sometimes people will share their secrets like that and sometimes not...part of the price we pay for freedom of choice

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©