3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New John Schulz bows  (Read 4544 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New John Schulz bows
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Those are very impressive.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Wow...those are gorgeous!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline tomwatson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
Any word on John's speaking engagements?
“To chase game with the ghosts of other hunters from other times-that's all he really asks." - The Restless Spirit.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
Time to bring this back to the top.  These bows are going to auction very soon.  I sure won't be able to afford one, but it will be fun to watch them go!
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
December is almost over.  Anyone heard anything about when they will go up for auction?

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
Someone on another site mentioned that they spoke to John recently and he said he had a couple more of the bows to complete. Should be soon.

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
So John is waiting until all 12 bows are finished before selling any?  I'm very interested to see how much these bows sell for...

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
Site lists first bow (which is actually #2) goes up for auction on January 5th!!!!!!

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
I've got this one ounce pristine 150 year old gold coin, whatever the coin dealer says it is worth, that will be my max bid.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
Get several appraisals pavan. My bet is your coin is worth quite a bit.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
Yes, for sure, and people scoff at those little plastic cases in the bottom of my one gallon change jar.

Offline SquareHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Does anybody have any opinion, or experience, on how these last bows will shoot?  I have shot a number of Hill style bows before.  They were nice bows, but I didn't care for the hand shock.  With this being sting follow bows, I wonder how much hand shock one will feel.  Would appreciate any opinions.  I am looking at one of the lighter bows, such as the 48#

Thanks,

Chris

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
Like the other all bamboo bows, they will be slower than what most are used to, but just a little.  Even though hand thump is minimal, to get the most out of the bow, I think, they would shoot best with some form of a Hill type form. You can have the 48, my Hill form draw would make that bow come in too light for me.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
honestly I don't know how much I'd abuse these bows....I'd use one a little maybe, but I wouldn't turn this into a daily shooter imho.  

not that these bows are not capable, but you are NEVER going to be able to replace it, EVER!  

You're investing in a piece of history that likely will never be seen again by Johns hands!  there are others who make these style of bows I'd look at if I was interested in buying a daily shooter.

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by SquareHead:
Does anybody have any opinion, or experience, on how these last bows will shoot?  I have shot a number of Hill style bows before.  They were nice bows, but I didn't care for the hand shock.  With this being sting follow bows, I wonder how much hand shock one will feel.  Would appreciate any opinions.  I am looking at one of the lighter bows, such as the 48#

Thanks,

Chris
It appears that they are the same design as the Miller Split Bamboo which John Shulz schooled David Miller. The bow is blue printed from the original design used by Hill's early split bamboo bows.  I own two of David's bows.  They are different from the glass bows in that the brace height is  about 5.5" with mild string follow. They are smooth with no felt hand shock and cast an arrow as about as well as s glassed bow. They are beautiful bows and meant to be shot. IMO

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by SquareHead:
Does anybody have any opinion, or experience, on how these last bows will shoot?  

don't know 'bout dat, but i doubt any of 'em will be a dog when it comes to performance

I have shot a number of Hill style bows before.  They were nice bows, but I didn't care for the hand shock.  With this being sting follow bows, I wonder how much hand shock one will feel.  

string follow longbows of proper length will typically be smoother on both the draw and release.  imo, "hand shock" has more to do with the shooter and how the bow is gripped.  if you do the howard hill full death grip and heel the handle, you'll get some amount of shock from any american flat longbow.  but if you allow the the web of yer bow hand and just the meat of yer thumb to make handle contact, with that bow hand angled slightly outward, there will be little to no shock from any stick bow.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
Well Gang, not to boast, in the year 2000, I used a 63"67@25" all natural John made for me to win the Primitive Division of the "Howard Hill World Longbow Recurve Championship"
The event was billed "The Final Chapter"  I still have that bow! It is a sweet shooting no handshock, great cast, very accurate shooting bow! The wood arrows were spined 65-70 pounds, weighing in at 545 grains, with 145 grain tips upfront, they were painted white, with white fletching red nocks, with one narrow red pinstripe on the shafts! Sixteen of the twent eight targets  my arrow was the only one in the target! The top five guys I shot with kept saying, "your tearing em up!" Referring to the way Howard would tear a five pound butter box to tiny pieces, practicing at forty yards, shooting into his sandbank! It was a great adventure, traveling to Wilsonville , Alabama, and coming home the winner!
I used that bow to take a very nice eight point buck in my hometown, Goffstown, N.H. Before I retired it!  It has a place of Honor in my home! Enjoy, anyone who gets one of these bows, is going to get a great piece of John and the history of archery!   Jacques

« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
I think string follows feel smoother on the draw  because they have less resistance at the beginning of the draw where the muscles are the weakest and they pick up the difference at the end of the draw,(it has to come in somewhere), where the drawing muscles are the strongest.  I shot a longbow once that had so much handshock that my eye ball popped out of the socket and my right ear folded over. Just kidding, I have shot recurves that have more hand rattling than the longbows that I have now.  I do wonder, besides the historic value and shooting feel of these, if they will really shoot as good as my mild R/D bows or my Morningstar. It could get to be a lot of money spent if they don't. It is important for me to have some forgiveness in draw length variables from varied shooting positions, it is something that I always question and never come up with a definitive answer as too which bow is better as they are so close to each other.

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Something of note: Howard set all his records with selfbows and split bamboo! After he started using glass on his bows he never set a new record! Interesting to say the least! Jacques

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2015, 03:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jacquesbonin:
Something of note: Howard set all his records with selfbows and split bamboo! After he started using glass on his bows he never set a new record! Interesting to say the least! Jacques
i think he just got too old and less interested in target shooting.   :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©