3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New John Schulz bows  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: New John Schulz bows
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
I own several all wood Schulz and Miller bows and have shot them for about 4-5 yrs. I like the bows, but it is important to remember, they are more like a self-bow than a laminated glass bow. If you have shot a nice self bow, then you know what to expect.

In comparing the glass and the wood, the glass will probably last longer, will shoot faster, and will be more tolerant to handling. You can't string a self bow or one of these and leave it strung, because you leave yours strung on a bow rack for days on end. You can't let others shoot it, when they draw 28.5" or more when it was made for a 28" draw. You can't flex the bow backwards to take out the string follow, because you think it looks odd.

If you are fortunate to own one, treat it with respect and it will serve you well. I like to think of them as a bow with a memory.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
Starting bid $3500
   :scared:    :dunno:    
Good luck to those who can play that game...!

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
Just went on e bay to see johns parting shot  .  Wow ! I guess I'm out.  With those prices. I think the bows will be around for awhile. . I'm sure glad I have Dave miller spilt bamboo !!!
Dan Breen

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
:scared:   I had thought that I might be able to place a bid and say that I was in the lead for awhile.  At that price, I won't be able to say that....

Offline SquareHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
Well, it was fun to dream about owning one for a while...

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
I am all for Capitalism and I hope they make as much money as possible, but it just saddens me a bit to know at that price, none of these bows will see a day in the field hunting.  They are investments and will most likely be wall hangers. Like watching a beautiful horse that was born to run stuck in a cage. No ones fault, it just is what it is.  Heck, If I paid that much for a bow, it would be on the wall and only the wall for sure.  Mr. Schulz's place in Archery History is cemented and these bows look to be tremendous reminders of the kind of skill he brought to the craft.  Besides that, they're just pretty to look at! (as I wipe drool from my chin.)
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
The first one may go for as much $4500.  I don't have a $4500 wall to hang it on.  For that kind of money, I will not be playing.  I am quite honestly disappointed, the Hill legacy does not hang on walls.  It is in the hands of adventurous folks using their bows and arrows in the outdoors, individualists that are not part of the wealthy elite club.

Offline jmahma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »
How about a drawing so some of us middle class folks could at least have a shot at owning one.
(may-ma)

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
Howard Hill Archery has a new model coming out that more of us can afford and last time I checked, they are a TG sponsor. A starting bid of $3500 is too greedy for me, I will not be bidding on any them no matter what they go for.  When a line gets crossed there is no back tracking for me, as far as I am concerned the line has been crossed.  No sweat in any case I think that I would like to get that new model bow that Craig has in the works anyway.

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
Wow, $3500 starting price is pretty surprising, 2x to 3x more than I would have thought. Makes me wonder what a bow made personally by Howard Hill would list at.

Offline Longbow1415

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
My best friend took John's bow building class in '88. One of the first things John told him upon completion of the course..?... Dont ever sell your bows cheap!
68" 65@28 John Schulz American Longbow - "Tidy"
68" 60@28 John Schulz American Longbow Trophy Hunter
68" 59@28 John Schulz American Longbow - "The Favourite"
66" [email protected] John Schulz American Longbow - "The Short String"

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
Interesting to say the least!  I don't think we are dealing with greed here.  I think we are dealing the a master bowyer coming to the end of his career and trying to go out with 12 last pieces of art.  The last 12 pieces of functional art that he will always to remembered fondly by.     :notworthy:  but everyone has a ceiling to what they can personally pay for a bow.  Then again maybe there is 12 millionaires out there looking for a new bow!  The free market will sort it out.

Lets keep comments positive and just see how this all plays out; lots of things can change in a auction and nothing is final till its SOLD!

Just my opinion; I respect yours too!

:pray:
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
Way out of my league. I can respect the admiration but I can't justify paying that much for a tool that I can pay significantly lower to purchase a tool that is more than equal to the task. That being said more power for whomever buys one. To pay that much only to be a collection item is just not my cup of tea.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline huntsfairchase

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
Heck, they aren't priced that much more than a new Habu or a tricked out Silvertip? And there will only be 12 of these in existence.

I was guessing/hoping they would've gone in the 1500-2000 range. Shows how much I know about collector bow values.      :knothead:     ...

In the meanwhile I'll consider myself fortunate to own a John Schulz "Granpa" from the 90's. Occasionally it's future value causes me hesitation to hunt with it, but that's what they were built for. And I will continue to do just that with it until the day it decides to give up the ghost...

I too hope this thread stays positive and supportive of John's Parting shot bows. Worth every penny in my book.
"Each one must find within his heart,
a quiet place where he may go.
To find himself and for a space,
drink deeply where still waters flow."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
The first one may go for as much $4500.  I don't have a $4500 wall to hang it on.  For that kind of money, I will not be playing.  I am quite honestly disappointed, the Hill legacy does not hang on walls.  It is in the hands of adventurous folks using their bows and arrows in the outdoors, individualists that are not part of the wealthy elite club.
This about sums it up for me.

Well said.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
Thank you Mr.Schulz for all you have done for us. Hope you get a LOT MORE then you are wanting. BEST OF LUCK, You have earned it!!  ..OE

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
:archer:

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
The heirs of Cy Johnson, sold a bow Howard made for Cy back in the 1930's on Eb.. for $8,000. It was typical of Hill's bows but had 2 1/2" backset, probably kicked terribly, in VG condition according to the owner. The sale was in Dec./Jan 2011. I am not trying suggest these bows would appreciate in a similar manner.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
I hope John gets considerably more than the starting price for these bows.  He has been a great ambassador for Traditional Archery and has spent a lifetime of giving selflessly of himself.  I've met John several times and have attended his seminars and shooting clinics, all of which he presented for FREE.  What a great way to retire by offering a limited addition of collector bows.  I think it's outstanding that he came out of retirement to offers these.  I also cannot consider one because of price, but do not begrudge John or the lucky buyers.  They'll be worth every dollar that they sell for.  He deserves our appreciation for all he's done for us, and I offer him my utmost!  God bless John Schulz!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
Guess I will just have to shoot my Berrys and Hills with the rest of the enlisted swine.
I hope that John Schulz gets a whole bunch for these bows; he has done a lot for our sport over the years.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©