3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sleepless in east texas-GOT ONE!!!  (Read 575 times)

Offline hickry

• Trad Bowhunter
sleepless in east texas-GOT ONE!!!
« on: September 28, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
opener's tomorrow.  this happens every year... insomnia sets in, have problems focusing on work, and i'm so nervous i feel like throwing up.  i say that i hunt to relax... but i'm not so sure that "relaxing" is the best term to use right now.  this'll be my first year hunting with trad-bow... makes it that much worse.  anybody else get like this???

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sleepless in east texas-GOT ONE!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Hey there Hickory. I'm just norht of you in a small town called Point. I'm going to hunt the Tawakoni public land, scouted it 3 times this week, just got in from this morning, finally found some somewhat promising spots, gonna hunt from the ground. This will be my first time bowhunting, and first time hunting in a very long while. It is very overgrown right now, so I won't stalk like I was planning on. I will still hunt. Good luck to you tomorrow hope you get one and have a good time. Loosen up a little it's just deer hunting. I might even get a hog, must be hundreds on that land.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
feel'in ya bro.  been sleepless in S.TX for the past two nights. can't wait till tomorrow morning!
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
I will be in S. Texas tonight myself for the opener tomorrow.  Not nervouos...just very very happy that the opener is finally here.  I just wish it was a little cooler.  May the Hunting Gods bless everyone in Texas this weekend.
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
I'll be with you fella's!

I've been out in the yard shooting my sinew bow "Lumpy" and some cane arrows. I'm looking good and the first dry doe that crosses me is getting it. Good luck to you guys! CK

Offline hickry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
jmar... "it's just deer hunting"... that's true.  i feel really blessed to live in a place where i can get so uptight a/o something like deer hunting.  good luck w/ the hogs too... to me, they're just as fun... if not more (especially to hear them coming thru the woods squealing, fighting...such a blast).
good luck aggie and stripstrike... and take pictures!!!

Offline hickry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
littlefeather... hope to be with you next year!!!  i've got a bunch of hickory drying that's just waiting to be broken... i mean a bow.  i may be looking for help w/ those cane arrows!!

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
I sure do get restless before a hunt!  I pack into the wilderness and get dog-tired, but the first night is always sleepless for me. Listening to bugling elk all night doesn’t help matters.  Good luck tomorrow! Our deer season starts on Monday in Illinois.
Mike

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
Just wondering, if I do get a deer. How do you take care of it after it is down when is this hot. It's been in the mid 90's. Do you just cut it all up immediately and age it in the frig? Haven't been hunting in a LONG time, and never when it is this HOT. It is strange being out in the woods when it is so dark. I went scouting this morning, got out there about 5:45.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
jmar:

We skin, quarter and get them in an icechest ASAP.  Never a problem.  Good luck!
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28

Offline DTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
Cut it up quickly and put on ice.  I leave it on ice for a week changing the ice daily.  Taking my two little girls and hitting the woods tomorrow.  Hog or deer whichever I get a shot at first.  GOD Bless your hunts.

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
I wish that moon was`nt so full right now. My trail cameras show most movement starting just after dark thirty.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
That moon helps me get into the woods early in the morning. I'm ready to get a deer tomoorow. Good luck to all, and smart hunting.

Offline RedTx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »
Good luck to all you fellas.  I got to what till Monday.  Of course im off all next week so I dont got much to gripe about.

Offline fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 01:10:00 AM »
same here in PA.  Its one oclock and I am up already.....

Offline sabas silva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 02:54:00 AM »
Working this weekend, but leaving Sunday for Oklahoma opener, plan to hunt at least 3 days.
Good luck to all of you, this is what we have been waiting for.

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
hey hickry, you hunting in the tyler area or where? I live in canton, but im in tyler monday, wednesday, and friday every week to go to college. Radiology program is keeping me hoppin. Dern good deer and pig hunting in the tyler area.

Offline hickry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
Shot a doe saturday am about 9:45.  Couldn't believe it!  I've never had things go right on opening day... NEVER.  She and a larger doe walked right under my stand and she turned quartering at about 5 yards.  She went down in sight...
First trad-deer on my first trad hunt!

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Congrats on your first Trad deer.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Congrats Hickry! Thats great! You have any pics?

I had Does walk right under me. Each doe had at least one fawn so I let em all walk. I did have a spike walking a bee line straight for me when to my surprise two large dogs came running through and got hot on his heals. I ended up seeing the dogs again later and lip squeeked one right in to 10 yards. I drew back and then let down. I couldn't bear the thought of killing someones pet even if they did ruin my evening hunt. Congrats again! CK

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©