3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Clearing shooting lanes for tree stands  (Read 258 times)

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
Clearing shooting lanes for tree stands
« on: October 11, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
Hey guys. This may have been brought up before but I thought I'd share a little helpful tip for clearing out limbs from your shooting lanes.

I was watching one of the hunting shows the other day and a commercial came on for an extendable pole saw with a detachable saw for other uses. They made it out like it was the best thing since the invention of the bow and arrow.

I always keep my old Gerber folding limb saw and a roll of electrical tape (duct tape works too but it takes up more space) in my little pack. When I need to remove some limbs for a shooting lane I find a nice small diameter but long sapling and cut it down. Then I top it off and tape the saw off to the pole. It works best to tape the saw to the butt (stump) end of the pole so there is less bend up top when cutting. You can make them as long or short as you need them. When you are done just cut the tape loose and stick it in your pack and leave the pole in the woods to rot. Less to pack in...less to pack out...perfect length every time being as you cut it for your specific needs...and a whole lot cheaper.

I had to do this today. I couldn't get a shot at a dandy 8 this morning because of some limbs in the way. If he does the same thing in the morning hopefully I'll have a shot.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Clearing shooting lanes for tree stands
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
I have started limiting my shooting lanes to about 20 yards. If stuff is in my way, the deer is outside my effective range. I like this idea of cutting the saw handle in the woods, as I just don't like carrying a lot of heavy or cumbersome gear into the woods. The less I carry in, the less I am likely to  leave it there.
Sam

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
Good advice there too Sam. That acts as kind of a range finder. Also gives a little more cover so maybe you don't get busted before they are in range. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
The Hooyman saw is folds up and fits in my fanny pack.  Much more convienent than electrical tape.   One of the great things about it is that you can set in your stand and prune with out reaching and eliminating the chance of a fall.   It also keeps you from touching anything that will leave scent.   Much simpler and quicker than messing with tape.   And like I said fits right in the fanny.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
Yeah that's the one Coach. To each their own. I don't really see how it could fold up to be the size of a Skoal can like the tape is. And I can think of a hundred other uses for tape if one were in a pinch....none for an extending pole. Especially when I have my hand saw and can cut to length any pole I may happen to need.

I haven't researched them any so I may be judging too harshly. What's the length when fully extended?

I guess I'm just more of a necessity is the mother of invention type person rather than spending money on something that seems simpler and more versatile to DIY.

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
I actually used to do the electrical tape thing.  I even would use the twine I carried in my backpack and tie my saw to a limb.   Shag I guarantee you if you try a hooyman you will love it.  They are simply awesome.   One great feature that I did not mention is the silence in using one.   When finished just unextend and put back in fanny.   Instead of figuring out what to do with all the sticky tape wrapped around my saw.   They compact down to 12 inches and easily fit in the fanny.   Besides I could never find  something the size of a skoal can in my fanny.  Hard to judge something you have not used.   I have done both ways.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
Looks like the length is 10' and the price ranges between 60-90 bucks. I can see the benefit of having one in your pack the first time you climb a tree just to cut errant PITA limbs out of the way when you get up. After that I'd just use my method to do away with the limbs I couldn't reach.

But it wouldn't have done me a bit of good today. The pole I cut was at least 15' and I still don't think I got everything I needed to get.

Plus I think I paid like 20 bucks for the saw about fifteen years ago and I've never had a limb I couldn't reach because I cut the pole to suit my needs at that time.

Offline lefty4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
I have my pack saw in a pouch with about a 20" piece of folded surgical tubing. I "tie" the opened saw at two points to the end of whatever length stick I need and trim away. It is a pretty solid attachment and has served me well for over 20 years.
I had a really good group going... until I shot the second arrow.

My best bows are the ones someone else didn't want.

"Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be."  Waylon Jennings

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
Great Northern sells straps that'll do the same thing as the electrical tape. Been using them for years.

Offline Westkyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
These are some great tips! Before season when hanging stands i use an extendable frog gig with saw and pruner attached to the end. Not much i can't reach with it but its not as compact as i like when seasons in and I'm trying to keep noise to a minimum.

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
Seems like some of the velcro "wire ties" that you can buy to straighten up the jumbled wires of computer, entertainment system, etc might work well in that capacity. Might take up even less space / be lighter weight.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
Good tip. I've done the same thing many times.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©