3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you keep mosquitoes away while hunting?  (Read 644 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you keep mosquitoes away while hunting?
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
I agree (wholeheartedly). And for just light breezes, I just move it to a different place on my stand for the best effect.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by 8th Dwarf:
Swat them!

Too Short
Yeah...just what a bowhunter needs to do swat bugs and give up his position to all the animals.  :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 03:05:00 AM »
That's what I was thinking too Terry. I went and bought a thermacell, they work pretty good I'll admit. They smoke slightly though, but they work.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
Just aim a little lower from where the wings join the body...
But seriously...Deet works great, but I really hate having such a harsh chemical on my skin.  I'm sure we'll discover it causes cancer someday.  I've had good luck with Permethrin on my clothing/gear (let it dry before putting clothes on).  It's slightly less effective than Deet on mosquitos, but even better on biting flies/gnats.  And, it lasts up to 2 weeks with one treatment.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by heydeerman:
I use a Shannons bug suit.
I picked one of those up before going moose hunting in Ontario last year. Money very well spent.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by jmar595:
That's what I was thinking too Terry. I went and bought a thermacell, they work pretty good I'll admit. They smoke slightly though, but they work.
But with the smoke you get a great wind direction indicator.  Two products in one.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Another vote for thermacell.  It takes about 5 minutes for it to kick in but after that you'll not have any mosquitos around.  You can get a morning hunt, a evening hunt and another morning hunt out of one full cartridge.  They also make an attachment that clips to the outside of the screen that holds a wick that you can put scent on.  I use both the repellent and the wick at the same time a have deer come in down wind all the time.  You can't go wrong with the thermacell.  A very good buy at about $20.    BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
At the advice of my fellow tradgangers I bought a thermacell.  I've been out 4 times this year already including one afternoon when it was 93 degrees and hunted till dark.  These things work great!!!!!  NO mosquitos!!!   I wish I woulda bought one sooner.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
I have used Thermacells since they came out. I spot and stalk hogs with them 12 months a year...even if the wind is blowing, I use them. I never get bitten by bugs.

If the wind is blowing, the skeeters lay down anyway, and if it stops, the TC unit does its job and keeps them away from me.

I haven't sprayed anythign but Permanone for ticks in 6 or more years and do not miss DEET one bit...from the way it hurt the finish on bows to the way it made my stomach grow immensely large, I hated it and think the guy who invented TC should be given the Nobel Prize.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
from the way it hurt the finish on bows  to the way it made my stomach grow immensely large.. DEET?????

I knew meat & taters and gravy would make a stomach grow immensly large, but deet?

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
well, as you know I eat like a bird, so it had to be the DEET, CJ
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©