3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your heart is set on a trophy but then you see  (Read 962 times)

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your heart is set on a trophy but then you see
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
I'ed take the shot...after all, its vension we're after.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
Ahh the sound of the string...
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
That dude definitely needs to be removed from the gene pool!! Sneak on in there and drop the string on him Randy!!

Steve

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
Curious? Randy what do you hope to learn by asking?

Thanks!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
Definitely would shoot

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
A trophy is feeding family and friends.... Yes I would  ;)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
I'd take it. A bird in the hand..
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
Shoot it!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
Too ugly for me.    :eek:  
To funny pat.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
That may be an antlered doe with all that funkiness. I wouldn't shoot it if I were Randy Burtis cause Id know Id kill a bigger one in a day or two but me? I would.
You show unwarranted faith in me my friend.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
So the story behind this stag buck is not as exciting as I wished. Some of you know I guide hunters from time time. I found this while guiding last week while guiding some hunters. For the record though. I would have dropped the string in a second of I could have.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
Curious? Randy what do you hope to learn by asking?

Thanks!

God bless,Mudd
Not really looking for anything. Just sharing a fun outdoor experience buddy.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »
Maybe..........
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
Yes...I love defects  :)   My two best bucks are seven pointers (eastern flatlander 7s). Each would have "scored" about 140 or so but both were mature wide-bodies that will forever be my faves! Pretty cool man!
Mike Davenport

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »
I would be traveling to hunt those so No, I wouldn't shoot it. I eat a lot of wild game and the meat is always nice, but I don't have to kill something to have a good time.
If legal, I'd rather shoot a doe or enjoy watching and hoping for more opportunities.
At home I still choose the does over small bucks mostly...on an invite and they give the all clear..well it's there land and if they don't mind i'll shoot the best available..maybe.

I don't feel that killing an animal makes me a successful hunter. I had an opportunity at a very tasty looking elk calf on my very first elk hunt (unguided on public land). I chose not to take it but wouldn't fault those who would.

Why would anyone think that taking an animal with traditional gear is any tougher other than the range limits? even in my compound days, I never shot a deer past 20 yards.It's not that I wouldn't have shot one past 20 yards, I just never had one that didn't give me the 20 and in that I actually took home.

Personal reflections only. I would congratulate anyone who felt they were successful.
Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
Thanks Randy!

It has made for an interesting read for sure.

The question it brought to my mind was how close did you need to get in order to get the photo?

I admire the skill required to stalk any animal close enough to get pictures of them in their beds.

I also appreciate all the responses of those that took their time to post.(thanks folks)

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
I would be traveling to hunt those so No, I wouldn't shoot it. I eat a lot of wild game and the meat is always nice, but I don't have to kill something to have a good time.
If legal, I'd rather shoot a doe or enjoy watching and hoping for more opportunities.
At home I still choose the does over small bucks mostly...on an invite and they give the all clear..well it's there land and if they don't mind i'll shoot the best available..maybe.

I don't feel that killing an animal makes me a successful hunter. I had an opportunity at a very tasty looking elk calf on my very first elk hunt (unguided on public land). I chose not to take it but wouldn't fault those who would.

Why would anyone think that taking an animal with traditional gear is any tougher other than the range limits? even in my compound days, I never shot a deer past 20 yards.It's not that I wouldn't have shot one past 20 yards, I just never had one that didn't give me the 20 and in that I actually took home.

Personal reflections only. I would congratulate anyone who felt they were successful.
Bigjim
Jim - I agree that hunting with traditional gear is NOT any more difficult than more modern gear. I'll even go a step further and saying many cases it's easier. My mule deer doe last year is a good example. On my knees, bow dang near horizontal, under some over hanging pine boughs...no way could that have worked with a compound.

So it isn't the gear...BUT don't forget many traditional guys saddle themselves with other challenge making choices. Hunting off the ground, not wearing camo, homemade arrows and other gear...many of these things enhance our enjoyment, and also make it a bit tougher. I do think that any legal and ethical kill with a traditional bow is a great trophy.

To answer the question...I probably wouldn't have shot that deer on day 1...but day 5? Yep.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
Oh yeah!!!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 08:00:00 AM »
Define "trophy". Many hunters confuse the terms "mature" and "trophy". However, a "trophy buck" isn't necessarily a "mature buck" and a "mature buck" isn't necessarily a "trophy buck".

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
Maybe I'm just so knew to the traditional side (4years) but I find traditional archery to be much more difficult for several reasons.
First let me say I was an indoor competitive archer for 7+ years ranked 10th in nation in my division at 16years old and have hunted with compound for 12years before giving it up completely to hunt/shoot traditional equipment.

Hunting with a compound I found I never had to wait for the right time to draw, i could draw at any opportunity and hold said bow 2+ min until the shot materialized. While I was proficient to say the least out to 60+ yards I never shot a deer over 25 that being said I can say a deer has a much better chance of jumping my 161fps arrow out of my BW over the 257fps of my ex-compound. Meaning I never really waited for relaxed deer It could be stomping the ground starring at me and my arrow would be true to its mark.
I have found personally again that having draw stops, peep sights and sights to put you in proper alignment with given targets to be much much easyer then shooting a bow with non of that. Even with my experience competitively I found myself over drawing, lacking consistent anchor points and poor finger realese and it has taken a long time to get where I am now and some days I'm still not there (meaning where I'd like to be).
I think it's great that some find trad equipment to be easy, maybe some day I'll be there I think for most of us though it's the challenge that brought us in this direction and personally when I feel it to be the same as a compound was for me I will add another element to up my difficulty more. I have a tendency to equat higher difficulty with higher reward/satisfaction.
Please don't take this negatively it's not meant with any
Harsh under tones these are just MHO and ment no disregard to yours. These are just some of the reasons I FEEL trad to be more difficult. I welcome all ideas and feelings and would love discussing them under a new topic (cause I don't wanna hijack this one) I love this site and everything I have gained from it.

Your fellow traditionalist Greg
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©