3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KILLERS at kennym's  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: KILLERS at kennym's
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
Great Shot Tracy. Looks like a  very healthy Deer!

Congratulations   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
Great job Tracy! So glad to see you out doing what you do. Congrats!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Congrats again my friend!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Nice buck K.S. Trapper!! healthy looks guys congrats
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Nice!  I've enjoyed your pictures and story!  Lots of meat on that buck.  Congratulations and good luck with your bucks back home!  

Bernie

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
Nice shooting Tracy.    :thumbsup:

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
Nice shootin!! Some dang fine eatin right there!!!

Steve

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
Tracy, thanks for the heads up on those hornets.  Man that is a big nest of them.  Great shot on the buck.  Thanks for the stories.  Glad you had a good hunt.

Kenny, do you and Darrell want me to bring you my bee suit to get rid of those hornets?  :laughing:    :laughing:    

I may want to hunt there.

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
Congrats on a very nice buck. I think I saw him last year wearing buttons.
Life at it's Longest is Short

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2014, 11:20:00 PM »
My hunting bud is a hard act to follow in a lot of ways. He always makes me feel like I'm a slacker when I hunt with him.
This hunt I got a double whammy what with Curt Cabrera in camp.

I'd arrived a few hours ahead of the guys but Kenny was waiting for me and we rendezvoused at the cabin.
It's a sweet set up and I appreciate it more each year as my old body creaks, groans and just plain hurts from years of physically abusing it, which I prefer to call living.

I settled into my usual room with a lot of help from my buddy Kenny. A finer host you'll never find. Soon the guys rolled in and we gathered around the kitchen table for a quick council of war. Then Kenny loaded them up for a quick refresher for Tracy and Curt's first look at the properties.

I already had a game plan. Given the pain in my knees which even pain meds barely touched I planned to rely on the advice of our gracious host and his considerable knowledge of both the properties and deer hunting in general.

At this point I have to post a disclaimer. Although I took many pictures during the hunt I discovered toward the end of our stay that ALL of my photos had been deleted from my camera. To say I was disappointed is certainly understatement.

I'll describe my hunt to the best of my ability but will leave the bulk of the telling to my able companions.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
Charlie did you ever try that SD card in another camera or your computer? It takes a lot to erase a card several steps before it's erased check it to make sure. I forgot I was going to check it with my camera before we left but got to busy packing sorry buddy.

My setup was my Mohawk bow at #54, surewood arrows tipped with 200gr  Ace broadheads.  After I found the buck I went and climbed back In the treestand hoping for a doe but it started raining again and didn't hardly stop for the next three days. I went and picked up Curt and the game cart and we took some picks. He's got better ones on his camera

And hauled him out, well Curt hauled him out and broke in Kenny's new gambrel back at the cabin. I skipped that night hunt and cut up my deer and got him on ice, the guys had some action in the rain no less but they can tell you about it.

Man did it rain for the next two days so we spent a lot of time in the cabin and visiting with Kenny in his shop. Thanks for looking!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Congrats! Nice buck!

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
K.S.-great shot on a nice buck! Congrats!

Kenny     :thumbsup:    :clapper:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
Tracy,

Nice job. Looks like you had some fun!

CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
More picks from this week, plenty of turkeys this year

Such big oak trees in this area!

I hunt pretty low, still get some dizzy spells since my last brain surgery

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
Awesome, congrats!!!!!    :archer:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
I have seen those oaks before. truly beautiful trees  If they could tell stories? Great shot on your buck
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
Too cool!  I can't wait to hear more!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
I tried all that stuff Tracy. All that came up was a couple of videos that I apparently didn't think was working. Video of the ground under my stand, the sky  and some out of focus limbs is all I had.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
I was ready for that first morning in the stand. More than ready really. I'd been waiting for 5 years to see this farm planted in corn and now I'd gotten my wish.

The only problem with it all was that I'd hoped that the corn would come out just before or even during our hunt. The wet weather kept that from happening.

I was confidant anyway. After all, I'd killed several deer on this farm. All had been very close to the stand I headed for that foggy Saturday morning.
There had been modifications to the farm by way of bulldozer work and the gap between corn fields hadn't been there in hunts past. But it seemed perfect in it's placement. kenney liked it enough to have placed a ladder stand right in the middle of the gap and along the predominantly downwind side.

As the sun shone it's muted light on the the woods and fields that morning I was quick to see the myriad hoof prints in the soft earth passing my ambush.

Heck, I'd walked the edge of the corn in and would later find that it was the main path to my stand for what seemed to be every deer on the place.
It was probably too late, but I would change my approach to my stand to avoid walking where the deer did.

I'd move down a corn row a few rows in from the field edge that showed no tracks. I had a wind advantage that way as well and by using the red lens on my head lamp I felt like I was being quite sneaky.

Be that as it may, I saw only 3 does that first morning and only two more after that. In total i hunted the stand 3 times before finding greener pastures.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©