3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How young?  (Read 403 times)

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
How young?
« on: October 12, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »
The "youth bow" topic reminded me that I've been debating whether or not to try and find a bow for my daughter.
She's 2 years old, but at this age it couldn't be much more than a pound or two of draw weight. She loves it when I shoot. She repeats "shoot, shoot" over and over again when she wants to go shooting. She pulles my arrows, then hands them to me one by one.
Hmmm, maybe I don't want her to have her own bow yet...

Anyways, how young did you let your kids shoot their first bow? Can you start too young? Will they have a hard time breaking their bad habits? Should I wait until she's old enough, and steady enough of mind to listen to instruction on form? Or do you just let them do what's natural like throwing a ball, then when they're old enough, show them how to through the ball properly?

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How young?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
My rule of thumb for teaching to shoot anything is, when they're old enough to understand and obey the safety rules, they're old enough to start with the basics and have fun. Just my $.02.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
I started my neighbors daughter to shoot at 4 yrs. old.It was a fiberglass bow I believe it was a 10# bow,made her up some 1516 arrows with pink and purple feathers.I just let her fling some arrows at a big cardboard box.The arrows would just bounce off my target but stuck easily in cardboard box.It wasn't until she was about 6 or 7 yrs. old I tried to teach her alittle more about shooting.It took awhile to figure out her eye dominance.She writes left handed but is right eye dominant.At least the fiberglass bow was RH/LH.I kept the bow and arrows at my house and only let her shoot when I was outside shooting.I feel when they are young you have to make it fun at first,like I would blow up some balloons for her to pop.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »
Have started my grandson Wyatt,he is 2.Yes we help him a lot but he is cutting loose some arrows.We have a pic of his first day shooting on the Nocking Point Facebook page.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
My two kids started at around 5. My grandchildren started at different ages because I didn't start them one at a time but basically 4 was the youngest.

Too young but interested.

'Bout the right age to learn, 5.

A grandson at 4. He struggled at this age but kept it up. At 10 he is probably the best shot of 5 grandchildren and the best shot on flying targets.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
Both my boys got their first bow at age 3.  It was a PVC bow with 1/4" wood dowels that had a piece of soft foam glued to the end.  Nothing in the basement was safe or off limits, just let them have fun.  That has grown into chipmunk, squirrel and rabbit hunting.  They are now 11 & 9 and have no desire to try with a .410 which brings a smile to my face.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
My son started with a toy bow an "Nerf" arrows at 2.  He broke it (drew it too far--always been a big kid) within 2 weeks, so I got a him a little selfbow from a friend.  He shot his first tournament a few weeks before he turned 3.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
My favorite picture is of my grandson shooting in m y basement wearing a pamper.

At age two you will probably have to help with the draw and everything but you'll know right away if she likes it.

I would not worry about shooting form or anything as long as it is safe.  Hitting the target isn't  important either.

"Shooting" with daddy is what is important.

It is difficult getting a light enough bow for the little one , I made the ones for  my grandkids.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm going to test the waters with her. Obviously at this point I'll be helping her to even use it, so safety lessons aren't really a concern for me yet.
I guess my biggest hang up was bad form or not knowing her eye dominance, but I don't think she's going to get so good at this age that changing her handedness in a year or two will be all that detrimental to her abilities.
Worst case, she doesn't get it, or isn't interested, and I put it away for a year or two.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
Kevin got a late start. He was 8 years old.

This was because I had given up bowhunting for about 10 years. When I started getting back into it, he was right there with me.

Tyler started a 3 years old, and probly would have started sooner, if I had found a kids bow for him.

I honestly cannot remember when I started... All I can say is that I cannot remember NOT haveing & shooting a bow.

As for the "supervision" thing... You should never leave your child un-supervised. PERIOD!!! Not in the kitchen! The bathtub! The pool! To play in the road!!! Shooting is no differant. Folks twisted up about "rules" are usualy the folks who have "supervision" issues anyway. Kids learn safety by example. Start them young,teach them right! Trust me, They will "copy" EVERYTHING you do!!!!!

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!   :bigsmyl:      :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
At age two my kids had some wooden toy bows with suction cup arrows so for me age two is perfect for a bow.  They just really hold them at that age and play with them. I would help them shoot an arrow sometimes and they had a thrill.  Usually they just played with them thou.

At age four they received real recurves and they could shoot at a target

Now at ages 6 & 7 one has a beautiful recurve from Mad Dog archery and one made by a friend.

At age two they just like playing with the bow and getting a shot off from time to time.  In their minds I think they are shooting just like dad!

My youngest turned 6 last week and we went shooting:

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
Sorry about the multiple post, I thought I was editing...

Offline Westkyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
I started my three year old this summer. He got a toy bow at two then a pvc bow this summer. He shot two 3d courses with me and friends this summer as well. He's very careful and does better than i expected with safety. He shoots pretty good at ten yards too for a tot.lol It amazes my neighbors when he shoots the foam filled jugs i made him for targets. I honestly don't know if you can start them to young as long as they have the desire. Even if its a few shots at a time.

Offline Darrell M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »

I think all kids are different. But both my boys started at around two years of age and haven't put the bows down since. They both started with this "samick angel" bow (that I don't think you can buy anymore). But they also used a 1/2" cpvc bow with a small rope string that works great.
This is Clay just a few weeks ago. He turned 2 this July

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©