3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: does american tv need an adventure bowhunting show?  (Read 708 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
does american tv need an adventure bowhunting show?
« on: October 13, 2014, 03:51:00 AM »
would there be much interest in a show over there that was about adventure bowhunting? Picture a video about my backpack tahr and chamios hunts in new zealand. I would like to do some filming on my next hunt there. It would be cool make a living from the outdoor passion. I imagine audiences like overseas hunting content?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: does american tv need an adventure bowhunting show?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 04:45:00 AM »
Sure. Are you thinking something along the lines of a Survivorman, filming yourself? I'd say start with a blog and a youtube account. That's something you can set up quickly. If you have entertaining and exciting footage, you'll develop an audience fairly quickly. You also can be in charge of the image you want to present.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 05:03:00 AM »
survivorman has come to mind. I have thought of doing just as you said. Thanks.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
Good luck.  I'd watch it.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
If watch it.

I still watch the art young Alaska adventures all the time
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
Self filmed would be cool, or you could do like Fred Bear and have a cameraman with you, so you can film, then hand off the camera when you're ready to make the final stalk and take the shot.

I think the latter will give you better opportunity to actually succeed in your hunts.
I remember the one thing about watching Tred Barta years ago was that I was turned off by the fact that he never actually killed anything on the episodes I watched. It just felt like a guy chasing animals around for half an hour, and I didn't really have much respect for him as a hunter. Of course, I understand that "chasing animals" is 90% of what hunting is, but when you have all year to put together your best footage, I would think that you would actually have some harvested animals to show for it.
I do think though, that the typical hunting show now, is kind of a long obnoxious commercial just showcasing products and kill shots. It would be nice to see all that goes into actually hunting, but it would be nice to have a happy ending as well.

Anyways, I think there would definitely be interest. We certainly do NEED a decent hunting show. I'm just not sure if there would be enough interest to convince a TV channel that it will make them enough money to warrant a time slot.

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
I'd be in, but I'll bet it is real hard to make any money. I would bet you would have a very sizable investment to ever get your first airing!

Good luck with it though!

Bisch

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
There's a show on called "solo hunter" pretty entertaining. Self filmed self guided. They do some cool stuff, new zeland, Africa, etc. I'd definately watch it if there was someone carrying trad archery equipment.

Offline Hobies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
does american tv need an adventure bowhunting show?

yes, imo it does. will it get one? no, not ever. (on the bigger networks anyways)

i make and sell tv shows for these network execs. the last thing they know anything about is hunting. most of them think hunting is barbaric. i could go into this more but that sums it up.

with that said, i encourage you to make your own youtube channel and make your own episodes. post them up here and i will for sure watch! good luck!

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
I would say do it as an adventure for sure.  Not just the "I am out on my stand or we hiked 12 miles to get here and now filming the shot."  I think a lot of people only see the shot and that so called poor animal dieing.  Instead why not filmed the majority of the hike or the trip over.  Sleepless nights in cold temps or bug infested swamps.  Like stated above "Survivor Man" without the concern of finding help.  

Make people see why a you call it a trophy animal.  Show them all the hard work and different tactics in the show without trying to sell something but to make bow hunters better.  Big networks may not take it, but if its good enough there might be some interested.  I know "The Blaze TV"  took a lot of show that were so called politically incorrect and air them on their station now.  You just never know.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
I'd watch, but if there was money, good money in it, it's already be on the air...JMHO
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
I'd be tuned in for sure!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
maybe just a youtube channel to start off with. I too don't like the subliminal advertising but i guess that's how they make alot of their money and for that you can't blame them. I'd like to make something that encompasses the whole hunt, With respect for the animals and environment, none of that fist pump high five crap. Maybe i should just do it to share what i'm passionate in for my own pleasure and not to make a living.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Personally, I'd love to see it.  
That being said, I am very disillusioned with bowhunting related tv shows.  From my understanding, you simply need to come up with the money to have your show on the air.  If you are super rich and can fund it on your own, fine.  But most need to line up sponsors to come up with the cash to pay to have it aired.  The Outhouse channel, and those of its ilk, don't care in the least how good the show is.  If the money is there it will be aired.  The more money, the better the time slots.  Come up with enough money and your show will be on as often as you want to pay for it.  

The typical sponsor supports anything that can sell their product.  Content of the show doesn't matter as long as it supports their own agenda.  I don't watch much of the stuff on the satellite channels, but those I've seen are pretty poor quality and don't seem to care much about supporting high quality content.  I have no idea why that is, but I sure hope that you can change that trend.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
watch a lot of Meat Eater, tailor it to trad hunting, and you've got the silver bullet, kemosabe.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
I'd watch it
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
One thing you'll run into Clint is the need to get a permit and fee when you're filming commercially on federally managed public lands.  Its a killer as the lands I'm familiar with its $200 a day.

And I'm with Johnny; although I don't watch much outdoor tv that meateater guy is ok in my book.  Most if not all of the shows of his that I've seen that he has done in Alaska I happened to have hunted the same areas before, and they are as tough as he shows them to be and they are tough.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
What Whip said X2.

Couldn't be stated any clearer and unfortunately...it is the whole truth.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
Start filming and pushing quality content to a youtube channel and you could probably grow a huge audience and pick up sponsors.  But as soon as you pick up sponsors then the show becomes about promoting their product and then we would all stop watching.     :banghead:
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 01:09:00 AM »
unfortunately i have to agree tsalt. That seems to be the way of the industry. Oh well, back to the welding and fabrication i guess.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©