3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1/2 hour early or right at sunrise?  (Read 737 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
1/2 hour early or right at sunrise?
« on: October 13, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
I have always been a guy that gets into a morning stand 1/2 hour before shooting light so things can settle down.  I know I make a little more noise doing this but I feel like I am not hurried when I leave early.  This weekend, I would like to try a new spot but I know it is very thick and do not know where the trail is 100% so I am thinking about leaving the truck right at the crack of daylight so I can get in without making a lot of noise.  Would you go early and hope for the best or go late and be able to find your tree?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1/2 hour early or right at sunrise?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
My choice is to go in with just enough light to be sneaky and not use a flash.
CHuckC

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
If you don't know the way and it's tough to get in, go as quietly (stalking) first light.  1/2 hour before is still late going in before light.  One hour before is better.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
Is two even better ?
ChuckC

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
If I'm hunting a food source in the morning I get in an hour before legal shooting time. If it's a travel route I get in a little later.

I also use my trail cams to help me out with this.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Stumbling around in the dark does more harm than good.  If you can't sneak in silently,  wait for pink light.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
one hour ahead is best. I always say I don't plan to shoot the ones there who are there in the dark. I want to shoot the ones there at 1st light. Yes I will bump deer in the dark But I never bump deer at first lilght
Make a life, not a living

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
If I know right where I'm going and im expecting action or its a hot spot I go in around A half hour early. Being at my stand site.
If it's a new spot and I only been there once or something I go in just as I can see Around barley with no light. It much easier to see The land for what it is and pic the right tree. Idk how many times I have gone in fresh and picked a poor spot or tree because I didn't know where to set up. If I would have waited till I could have seen better I would have picked right spot.

Now this is getting to the area not the walk in. So you have to time it. Idk how far you have to walk as I hunt public land.
Another thing is we almost never see deer right off the bat in the morning. It's alwYs a little later. Only time I have deer right at day break is the rut and rifle season because guys are bumping them walking in.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
I think you should go in early still. The problem is you aren't using the right flashlight. Get a new lithium battery light that has a very low setting on it. You can see that noisy stick and avoid it and the low setting isn't bright enough to ruin your night vision.

Check this thread out.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=131998;p=1
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
What time you go in should be determined by where the deer are pre-dawn.  I normally walk in just as it is getting light.  I make less noise and don't have to be shining a light everywhere.  I rarely bump a deer as most of my deer are still out in corn and soybean fields off my property feeding.  In my younger days I was one of those who would climb into a stand one hour before sunrise.  Not necessary where I now hunt.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
Depends on the circumstances.  Behind my house if I bump them in the dark I won't see anything that morning so I go in at first light hunting all the way.  If I see something I have an opportunity to put a stalk on them.  There are disadvantages to that as well.  In daylight a deer bedded uphill can see me come in and bolt.  But I've tried it both ways here and found first light is the better option.

Everywhere else I go in before light.  I use a red or green light and it doesn't disturb the deer.  I've walked up on deer in the dark using them, and a skunk once as well.   :scared:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
I've done it both ways for a lot of years, well, not so much in the past 20, and haven't found it makes a difference, but I definitely spook fewer deer going in at first light.  I hunt big woods and usually my stands are quite far in so I can start walking in the dark, but it's gray light by the time I'm a couple hundred yards from my stand.

Keep shooting hours in mind, too.  For example, in my state, they're one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.  If you're sitting in your stand with a strung bow before or after those times, you're hunting illegally.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
On public land, I try to get ahead of the crowd. A half hour before sunrise has always worked for me. However, the older I get, the tougher its gets to get out of bed on cold, windy days.  Good luck and be safe.   :campfire:

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
I'm a 1/2 hour early person as well, sometimes a little earlier depends on the stand.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
I walk in, in the dark, and on evening stand I walk out in the dark. I do comply with the 1/2 hr rules here in WI.

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
I normally get to my spot a half hour to an hour before sun up. I don't ever see deer at sun up it is usually much later but I enjoy watching the woods come alive when the sun rises.
'Nothing's forgotten... nothing's ever forgotten' - Robin of Sherwood

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
My stands are all on private property and set up permanent. I go to the stand in the morning 1hr before actual sunrise time, which is about 30 minutes before first light.

Bisch

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
I use a light, and I don't think it affects the hunting. I try to get to my stand about 1 hour before first light.
Sam

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
I am an early guy, as well.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
I hunt when I can. I  will go in before light if possible but if i can only get to the woods after it starts getting light out, I still go.

I have seen deer both ways. If you are unfamiliar with where you are heading, I would wait for a  little light. You can track up an area pretty good laying scent down looking for the perfect spot. Everything seems to look different in the dark.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©