3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which weight asbell  (Read 384 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Which weight asbell
« on: October 13, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
So my 6 year old carbon suit hunting cloths are finally hitting the crapper.  I picked up a Bass Pro catalog and just laughed at the prices of some camos in their.  I am going to switch to plaid for my hunting from now on.  I live in central Fl so most of the time the weather is just down right hot.  As of today highs are still in the 90's.  I picked up some cheap plaid cotton shirts at Wal-Mart that I will be using with this warm weather still.  I know majority of people on here says cotton kills, but seriously I am not that concerned in Fl with 90 degree temps.  On the other hand when we do get a good winter down here it does get very cold by my standards.  I have been out in low 30's and high 20's factor that in with humidity I think its very cold.  I have seen snow flurries twice where I live but it's by no way the standards.  So with that said which thickness should I look into for Asbell wool I was thinking light/medium but really haven't a clue.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which weight asbell
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
I use Asbell light weight stuff for early season here in Wyoming, which probably equates to brutal winter in Florida. Elk hunting in September, our average low is mid 20s, and I'm comfortable with light Asbell wool with t shirt and a light flannel or cotton shirt underneath. By the time the sun is up and warming to the 50s on a typical day, the Asbell wool comes off. On cooler days or with misty rain or light snow, the lightweight stuff is still sufficient.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
Thanks brother, that's what I thought.  If its good enough for you there for sure would be good here.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
All of my Asbell wool is heavy or extra heavy weight.  I wear it pretty much anytime the temps are less than 60 or so.  Only my underlayers change accordingly.  Most times I carry my wool strapped to my pack until I reach my stand site.

Western states with the lower humidity are far different than here in Wisconsin.  Also, sitting on a stand versus hard hiking and climbing hills are whole different considerations.  If you are looking for something that will handle humid temps in the 30's or so I would go heavy and layer underneath as needed.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
I use the heavy. But also the wind blows right through it. So if it's cool n windy when your out. Go with the heavy
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
i use the light weight zip up hoodie with a midweight base layer . just add some windshear wool underneath if its really cold.
 it was 33* here sunday morning and i was quite comfortable on stand.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
People think of wool for warmth.  But, a nice wool shirt, without a tight weave, can be cool in the summer on a hot day.  It will breath better than a cotton shirt.

The Bedouins have used wool for centuries in the hot desert to keep the sun off and allow the wind to flow through.

That said, it's not always easy to find the right wool for summer because most is maid for cold.  But, I use Pentelton Wool shirts, extra large, no undershirt.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
Looked them up, they are expensive too.  Would be nice, but amazon is $80 for a shirt.  Good will here in FL really doesn't carry much wool.  Like you said most of the time it's for warmth

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
What Whip said
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
Teresa has Evening Stand Green in light/medium weight. I have one, and it is PERFECT for not freezing but cool days. I think it would be perfect for Florida.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
I think that cotton is just right for your neck of the woods, I don't start wearing wool till it get's in the low teens. A good old $20 Columbia fleece would probably be all you ever need :-)

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
Different folks require different clothes based on a lot of factors.

Some guys like heat, some like cold.

Last evening it was reainy and around 40-45.

I wore my Minus 33 merino medium weight underwear with my medium wt. Asbell Anorak over it and my light weight early season suit, then my heavy weight Asbell zip jacket over that. It was just right.

Then again I am 5'7", 140 #, no body fat,and always tend to get cold easily while sitting motionless on stand. Nothing ruins a hunt like a bad case of the shivers.

I wear all that and more then slip into my HBS when it really gets cold here.

In Florida, when pig hunting and stand sitting in 30 degrees, I wear a light weight hunting suit over a tee and a Pendelton shirt, then top it with insulated bibs and insulated jacket.

Florida is seldom like that, but when it is, it wouldn't hurt to have the heavy weight stuff like Whip says.

Just my $.02
Irv Eichorst

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
I got a light/medium weight zip up Asbell to try this early season. It's been great do far. It was 29 the other morning and I wore a long sleeve T, a cotton button down shirt and the Asbell wool and stayed perfectly comfortable.

On Saturday, it was foggy and drizzling rain all morning, 55 degrees. I wore a thin button down shirt and the Asbell wool. I stayed perfectly comfortable then too.

I usually do run kinda hot though. I'm 5'8" and 150...in good shape. But I can be sweating while my wife and daughter have a jacket on.

Light/medium weight has been working great for me do far.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 06:21:00 AM »
It's interesting reading the perspective on cold from different areas of the country.

My son spent almost a year in Arizona, he's home now doing some construction work. He used to be one of the toughest cold weather guys I knew. Now he's freezing while I wear a cotton sweatshirt.

I HATE to be cold, and have a bad habit of over-dressing. Layering thinner wool helps me with that. Layering very thin sweaters along with an Asbell blanket weight garment will get me through some crummy weather
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©