3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts and Opinions on MAHASKA Longbows....  (Read 263 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts and Opinions on MAHASKA Longbows....
« on: October 13, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
Hey all,

I'd like to get some info on Mahaska bows, particularly the longbows.
If you have any experience with them, even the Recurves, how about sharing your knowledge?  How do they shoot compared to other longbows and recurves that you have owned and shot over the years?

Of course if you have pics...PLEASE post them!  I'd like to see how they look as there aren't many pics on his website at all.

Any info would be great.

Thanks for the time.

Nalajr

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts and Opinions on MAHASKA Longbows....
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
I have never shot one, though I've looked at them (starting with old Traditional Bowhunter ads, too) and talked to Kent about them. I just did a search on Pow Wow - "Mahaska bows" - and there is quite a lot of good feedback from many very experienced archers to be found.
Certainly worth considering in the price range; the posts from folks mostly echo that, and offer some very good thoughts about other options and considerations.
Are there some specific traits you're looking for in a bow, preference for length, grip, etc.?

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 05:43:00 PM »
I had one of the recurves early on in my re-entry into trad.  Craftsmanship was solid and very nice, beautiful woods, and I liked how he shaped his limb tips/tip overlays..overall the bow was made very much in his own style.  As far as how the recurve shot, not sure if it had to do with the higher middle draw weight...think it was 59@28, but it was a loud bow to my ear with just an average thickness string and whiskers.  Being a very slender riser bow with relatively wide thick core limbs it also had a very healthy 'bump' on the shot.  I think it would have benefitted greatly from a skinny string with wool wraps as well as a much heavier arrow than what I was using (9gpp).  The pricing is very competitive, so that's a plus along with the nice craftsmanship.  I'd prolly give one another try and just use a skinny string and 10,11+ gpp arrows.  Speed wasn't bad.  I'd like to try one of the longbows sometime if I spy a used lefty.  Solid, pretty, and a good value is my overall impression.  From what I hear Kent is a good guy too.  The longbows seem to get favorable reviews, perhaps more so than the recurves?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
I saw a recurve at Denton Hill a few years ago and a guy grabbed it just before me. He took it over to the try out area and I could not believe how quite and fast it was. He bought it right away and I never got to shoot it .
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
I have had 3 of the longbows, all were good solid shooters. 2 I sold because I dropped down in poundage, the other one was 46# and I should have never sold it. All mine were 66"long and had real nice woods. All were whisper silent!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©