3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool Socks  (Read 1070 times)

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool Socks
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
Smartwool - they have different weights, I tried the Hunter Socks last time and they felt nice. I think there is even a thicker pair than these

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
smartwool
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline T.A.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
Another vote for Smartwool!!
Terry

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
Smartwool for me.  Any quality Merino wool is better than 98% of anything else out there!  Quality wool is the bomb!

Kris

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Alpaca wool socks are awesome. Like Big Jim said they are pricey. They are softer and more comfortable than sheep wool. Worth the extra $ for me to have my puppies happy  :)

Offline Tom P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
I use the one's sold by Bass Pro under the Redhead label they come with a life time warranty also.
Psalms 42:1 As the deer panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, Oh God.

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
I'm still wearing my Cabelas wool socks and they are over 10 yrs old.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline hoo-ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
I like the smartwool.  I may have to try the Sam's club also.  Josh

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 08:00:00 AM »
Smartwool  or Omniwool socks are great.  You can buy a three pack of omniwool for the same price as one pair of smartwool.

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
Of all the wool/woolblend hunting socks I have used I like the Cabela's heavy weight (white foot, gray top w/ stripes the best. They are warm and BOMBPROOF. Just don't wash them in anything but cold water and no dryer.

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
Smartwool.  I too have some 10 years old and going strong. I would think they are still the same high quality
Another vote for Smartwool.   The elastic never wears out, they are extremely durable, come in various weights so I can choose correctly depending on weather and my activity level.   Just an awesome product that has outperformed very other merino wool sock I've tried (Bean, Redhead, etc...)

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Smartwool first......Wigwam Wool heavy hiker next....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by LC:
Most will laugh but Sams club sells a Omni wool socks in pack of three that are awesome!
unless I'm in my running shoes these are the ONLY socks I wear. Very durable and warm (price is right too    :D )

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
I don't wear heavyweight socks much but I found a great buy on some Pendleton lightweight merino wools at an outlet store the other day for $3.75 a pair. I bought four pairs and probalby should have bought more. They're nice and long and work great with my cowboy boots or my Rocky snake boots that I bowhunt in this time of year.

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
Carhartt Extreme arctic cold weather socks are by far the warmest socks I have ever owned. Pricey as with most Carhartt stuff.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
Well I'll have to disagree to some posts here.  I spend most days in heavy weight socks.  up until I changed jobs a few years back, I was outside as much as inside during the winter and wet over half the time, or either hunting or standing in a barely above freezing river somewhere chasing salmon/trout/grayling in the 'summer'.

That said.....

smartwool is a great, very warm sock.  I wear the mountianeering (red), which are the heaviest they have.  It's warm very very warm!  if your feet sweat, spray them with deodorant first.

my socks wouldn't get close to 10 years before I could see the mesh the wool is woven on, the pile was gone or severely reduced.    Every fall I buy 4 or 5 pairs for hunting season most years so I have half a dresser full of them.  I'm not trying to talk you out of them, just that YMMV depending how often you wear them, how well they wear.  My older pairs I wear around the house/shop etc.  But that pile on smart wools will fall apart.

I currently work in a power plant these days.  Another local T-ganger put me onto Darn Tuffs.  They are too warm as well for me to wear in a heated plant and I unfortunately lost my cold weather acclimation as well grrrr, something about being wet and outside through the peak cold of winter vs staying inside working by hot boilers changes things haha.  When I do wear them here my feet rot!   They're just too warm!  I do wear them turkey hunting down south in the spring and are my go to's when it does get warmer up her during the summers while I'm out chasing fish.  

If you go with darn tuffs I like the heavier kind of dark green model.  buy one size larger than you think you need.  If, I should say WHEN, they shrink, if you're snug to begin with, they'll be too tight for a cold weather sock!!!!  Every pair I have  shrunk just enough.   I picked up some lighter pairs for wearing during earlier season hunts and was glad I did...my sheep boots shrunk and I wasn't able to wear my typical heavy socks (smart wool).  The pairs that shrunk didn't  shrink much as I cant tell which is which visibly.  But my feet will freeze in a heated building, which is the dead give away!

Darn tuffs have a lifetime warranty as well!  Just heed the size warning!!!  If you don't your feet WILL freeze!

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
Fox River Socks made in the USA at Osage Iowa best socks i have ever bought .

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
smartwool expedition
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
Smartwool here also.
T ZZZZ

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter