3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pick a spot D@#¥!+  (Read 420 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pick a spot D@#¥!+
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
Okay, my shooting has been really good! Been drilling everything inside of 20 yrds. Checked my trail cam this weekend and I've got several does coming in around 7:00 every night. So I go out this afternoon around 2:00 and get in my tree stand and get set up.( been raining all weekend and finally stoped today) . It was a long 5 hr sit but my hopes were high with the cold front and everything. Lo and behold at 7:00 on the dot I see a deer moving in the brush and as it gets closer I realize it's an 8 point buck with around a 16" spread. Comes straight in and gives me a slightly quartered to shot at 13 yrds and I'm 13 ft up. He doesn't have a clue I'm there. Well, you've probably guessed the rest by now! So here's a word of advice, pick a spot dangit!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Re: Pick a spot D@#¥!+
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
Oops! I hate it when that happens! I really believe that stuff like this happens when it is not your turn. When it is your turn, everything will work out!

Better luck next time.

Bisch

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:37:00 AM »
If it had to happen, I am glad it happened on a quartering to shot. Better luck next time. Picking a spot can be the toughest part.

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
Happened to me last night with a coyote! I hit full draw and was burning a hole in his chest, then he turned his head right before I released and guess were my eyes went to. Yep right to his face! My arrow went right over the bridge of his nose!!! Coyote on the ground with my recurve doesn't happen everyday! Still fun for me
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
Remember, picking a spot has two components. First, pick a a good spot to set up your stand. Obviously, you got that part squared away. Now, you need to work on picking that spot ON THE DEER and putting an arrow in it. Does it sound like I'm preaching to the choir? That same thing has happened to just about all of us. I sure hope you get another crack at a nice buck.
Sam

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
Yep, I have found at the moment of truth I blackout as well. I truly believe in when you practice, practice, practice your mind takes over during this blackout and the shot will be true.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
Sorry for ya.  Pick a spot, bend at the waist and aim low.  You'll get him next time.

BTW.. Where in East Texas are ya?  I'm out by Lake Sam Rayburn.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Interestingly in a discussion with Rod Jenkins last week he said one of the biggest problems is picking a spot to early.   You see the spot, everything looks good and the arrow is on its way.  Problem is that you forgot good form: did not hit anchor, forgot pulling through the shot ect. ect.  He encourages to come to full draw anchor then look for a spot and aim with whatever style you use. Release!

I'm a believer in his methodology.  I can go out and shoot great 90% of the time just concentrating on the spot and letting it go.  Problem is with the other 10%.  I don't want that 10% to rear up at the wrong tome.  A bad shot on my 3D is not a big deal.  But do it in the field and you fail to hit or even worse wound and loose a deer.
T ZZZZ

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »

"The problem is, that you forgot good form, you did not hit full draw and also forgot to pull through the release.  Rod encourages coming to full draw, anchor, look for a spot and then aim with whatever style you use."

Well said by Rod...works for me.  We've all let an errant arrow fly.  It rarely gets to the right spot by accident!

Kris

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
:banghead:
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
Thx for the encouragement and good advice everyone. Bisch, I like your outlook and the way you approach things! D. Key, I live just outside of Gladewater.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
I would bet that if we all had video of our screw ups that the "pick a spot" part of the equation would be a lot further down the list of possible  causes.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
I don't actually pick a spot. I visualize my arrow passing thru the deer at the exact spot, sort of like seeing the shot before it happens.
N/A

Offline hoo-ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
I hate it when that happens.  Your arrows always seem to go where your looking instead of where you thought you were aiming.  Josh

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
I did basically the same thing 2 nights ago!!!!
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©