3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunt Wild Things Week 1  (Read 519 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunt Wild Things Week 1
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
Weds evening walk in the swamp. Todd ahead of me.

An owl overhead. I used the flash. His eyes glowed red.

The next day walking a fire road I look over and see this guy.

Here his mouth is open and he's hissing "This is my space!"

Later in the day as I just stepped into my climbing stand I hear movement to my left. I look and the cane is moving all around about 30 yards away. It starts moving closer to me. I'm standing on an inward leaning Ol' Man climber and had just stepped into it to start my climb. My bow is on the ground and tied to the tether. I steady my feet and while still facing the tree I get my bow in hand and draw an arrow from my back quiver. I get it nocked as they near. I have to raise the bow to get it to the left side of the tree trunk that's a foot and a half in front of me. I see a little porker appear that's tan and spotted black. It turns broadside to me and I twist as much as possible for a lefty to shoot to his left while balanced on a leaning climber base. I draw and lose the arrow. It flies true and I hear flesh slice and a squeal from the small hog. It tears back through the cane as the others scatter. Cane is moving all around. I hear it blindly crashing through the cane as it tries to keep up with the rest of the bunch. The sound disappears in the distance.

I get unhooked from the stand and tree and jump down. I find good blood and go get Todd. When we finally start tracking the blood is very good but hard to follow in the cane. We eventually find the arrow about 30 yards from the shot. It's soaked. But once the arrow comes out, the blood nearly dries up. We search for nearly two hours. We go get help and come back just before dark. Still nothing. We return in the morning to the last marked blood and about 20 feet beyond the previous night's blood we find this. This is about 60 yards from the shot.

NO more is found by five searchers and Harry. The cane was so thick we may have walked by it and never saw it. A heart wrenching failure to what seemed like in-the-bag success.

Here's a view from the tree I eventually did climb. The hog was just past the downed log when I shot. It was about 10-12 yards away. (edit - had the wrong pic linked)

More pics later.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunt Wild Things Week 1
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
:coffee:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
View from the same tree towards the feeder and ground blind.

Sorghum field

Todd's hog

Random pics

That's all I have really.

Todd and Jack might want to jump in.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
Oh, and most importantly, I left my deposit for my next trip to Andrew's spot of heaven. You won't find a better host, advisor, friend, or gentleman than Andrew. What a place to live and enjoy. An oasis for the outdoorsman.

I did cast a line or two into Andrew's pond. There's a bowfin in there I'd love to land. Bass galore. I didn't get any pics. I think Todd did. Maybe he can post'em up.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Congrats to Todd on a great looking pig!  Man I hate snakes!     :scared:

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
Great story, Bud!  You need to come on down for the December trip and show us how it's done.  Less chance of snakes then    :biglaugh:   !
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
That "mouthy" guy in your photo was bow backing on the "hoof", should shot him!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
Beautiful pig sorry about the loss that always stings pretty bad it happens though. Up here it's golden rod and crp fields that will swallow a deer with a great blood trail.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Nice pig...Im going to Andrews place in January..cant wait

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Congrats!  Love that place and True Blue is a fine feller. Im not ashamed to say Ive got hair envy of the dude.

It looks like that pig is missing its tail. Is there a story behind that?   :jumper:

Offline subsonic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
Bud- That reads as if it were a police report.  No mention of Dark Shark or Green Hat sightings...  Wild Turkey was everywhere.

Here are some pics:

Hog Sign

One of my favorite places:

Savannah Rivah

Todd's Hog

I like Flowers:

Casse Couilles!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
:clapper:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
Nice   :clapper:

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Oh, and most importantly, I left my deposit for my next trip to Andrew's spot of heaven. You won't find a better host, advisor, friend, or gentleman than Andrew. What a place to live and enjoy. An oasis for the outdoorsman.
Great pics and congrats! Could not agree more about Andrew and Wild Things!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Excellent story and photos gentleman! Thanks for sharing.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »
Nice work, thanks for sharing.   :thumbsup:

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
WOW! That spot with the blind was 100% lush and green two weeks ago! That whole dirt/mid clearing happened since then. Wow.

Great story Bud, love seeing the pictures you take there. Really sorry your hog isn't in the freezer, but glad you guys got into them. I'll get you that recipe before your next trip.
Thom

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 05:43:00 PM »
Wonderful pics looks identical to our swamps. Maybe they all do.

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
way to go Bud......I would rather hunt pigs than anything else now.....great photos and great story....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline subsonic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:

I did cast a line or two into Andrew's pond. There's a bowfin in there I'd love to land. Bass galore. I didn't get any pics. I think Todd did. Maybe he can post'em up.
Left my deposit as well.  The relaxation is well worth it!  Andrew is a great host!  It was a great hunt.  I have not laughed so hard in a long time...
Casse Couilles!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©