3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer numbers in your area.........??  (Read 1169 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Deer numbers in your area.........??
« on: October 14, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
Just thinking about the number of deer I see, not only hunting but driving around. According to the State DEC here in New York, I live in an area that has .5 bucks and 2.5-3 deer per sq. mile. That's not a lot of deer. What are the numbers where you live/hunt. I guess that's why I never see a buck......I'm looking for a whole one....lol!   :dunno:   Let's hear what you have!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer numbers in your area.........??
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
I hear ha.  It's not very high here in pa either. I will go weeks sometimes or more without seeing a deer I have gone entire seasons before during bow and only
Seen like a dozen. Now I hunt all public land also. It has seemed to be a little better for us the past two seasons though. About 4 years ago man was it rough. It's bad when the first day of pa rifle and you have doe and buck combined and barley hear any shooting. I am defiantly jealous of some of the other hunter on this site and the places they live or have to hunt.
 I had always got frustrated trying all kinds of stuff after seeing posts about this and that. But finally came to the realization that I'm actually a pretty good hunter and it all has to do with where I live and the massive amount of hunting pressure and low deer populations. So I don't beat myself up and more and have actually stopped trying so dang hard. And enjoy myself in the woods a little more. I'm also under the mind frame that I am there to kill stuff not just sit and take in the scenery. Don't get me wrong it's all part of it but my priority is to put game down.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
lots and lots and lots. LOL. I have no idea as to the actual #'s but our unit and the one next to me increase bag this year to 4 does and 1 either sex tag.  while most of the state was reduced to just one deer with just a few exceptions were 2 is the limit.
Make a life, not a living

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
The state reports that our county has 2.69 bucks per sq mile. Our neiboring county has 3.66 bucks per sq mile. Again, there focus is on bucks and not total deer. We have crazy number of does and I think we should curve their numbers for the overall health of the heard. I have seen the number of antlered bucks going down in our area due to Hunter education and attitude of the hunters. They still prefer to shoot a buck of any size.
Ron, I would hope that the bucks that you have in your area would be better quality.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
Night Stalker, you would think so but that is not the case. Do to lack of deer numbers any buck seen is a buck taken most times. Poaching is a real problem also.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
I wonder what a ".5" buck looks like?  :dunno:

... mike ...  :D
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
Ron-there are about 28 deer per square mile here in Michigan, in the county I live. I see them all the time because I live in the country! Not sure of the buck to doe ratio, but I'm sure it's out of whack, as in most places here in Michigan. I see some nice bucks here every now and then! There are a lot of coyotes here too! I hear them every night! Thanks.

Kenny     :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Before the days got short(daylight) and I was getting home right at dusk I had counted a group of 16 in the top field.

They disappeared  from a lot of the surrounding bean fields and are in the woods cleaning up the White Oak acorns. After last winter, it is amazing the number of deer being seen.

Good Hunting,
                                                                     Craig

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
I heard recently that the mule deer population here in Colorado is down 30% in the last ten years...I believe the mountain lion numbers are up...anyone else hear that ?

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
Ive sat 6 sets here in michigan and have seen 1 4pt and. this past weekend it was 38 in the morning frosty and i saw 0 snd this is hunting on a bean/corn field
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
I live in Wyoming. 'Nuff said.
In our town, the police are authorized to kill 75 to 100 deer in the city limits to keep the population somewhat in check.
I have an aspen in my front yard that is the third one we put there in 7 years. All have been destroyed by bucks rubbing them. This morning, I found the same scenario repeating itself. We frequently have deer that I have to shoo out of my yard, and that often bed in the yard.
Yesterday, out stumping and messing around, I probably saw 50 deer in an hour, and I was not trying to be any kind of stealthy.
We have a mix of whitetail and mule deer, but many more whitetails than mulies.
Big buck whitetails aren't very abundant. I have killed a few that just miss P and Y, but have yet to put a tag on a real stud. I have hunted one for the last two years that should exceed P and Y by a good bit, but he, like most big deer, didn't get there by being stupid.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
The new place I have to hunt now is ridiculous, in 2 days of hunting we seen 28 deer between 2 fields, the property has 7 fields...

However it looks like I need to move to Wyoming lol
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by mcgroundstalker:
I wonder what a ".5" buck looks like?   :dunno:  

... mike ...   :D  
IDK... I bet he is tender.

Ron, I'm very lucky with the deer, hog and turkey population. I have no clue on the number per square mile but usually there's around 3-10 deer per stand unless the hogs come by.

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Ron, What part of N.Y. is Tribes Hill in? That is a pitifully low almost unhuntable number of deer.

I'm in eastern Pa, near Allentown and numbers where I hunt are way down down from 10 yrs. ago due to the almost unlimited number of doe tags issued in this zone (5C) However there are still a lot of deer,although mostly on private land where the majority of hunters can't get to them.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
Far too many!!!

Generally,if stand hunting, I have had a shot opporunity virtually each hunt. Many hunts offer more than one opportunity....generally pass up a buck every 2nd to 3rd hunt. Generally takes this inept deer hunert 30+ hunts/yr or three years to have a shot opportunity at a bonifide book buck.

Note: one banner day during the early rut, I had 30 deer pass within bow range by 9:00 am.

Have been restricted to ground hunting since 2008. Opportunities for me, due in part to my  incompetence and hunting public ground, have been limited me to one shot opportunity in approximately four hunts.

The deer numbers are far to high in my zone. I have had collisions with nine deer in the last 25 years. So far,and only good fortune.

While primarily a turkey hunter, I would like to see the population, while good, still triple. These criiters have continuously maintained the upper hand in handling me. When I harvest one, I feel the accomplishment was more luck of the roll of the dice. Unfortunately, I sometimes times believe that i am trying to roll a seven when using a single dice.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
Deer numbers r pretty high in the area of Kentucky I hunt. A hunter in my zone can only harvest 1 buck...but an unlimited number of antlerless deer. I usually see deer on every trip to the farm.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
Ron I hunt letchworth 8m stats for 2013 are 3.9 bucks taken per sq mile and 9.1 deer taken per sq mile.

Still have plenty of day where we may only see one or zero all day and hunting pressure is pretty crazy but we welcome you to our neck of the woods!!!

Just go to letchworths website and print out a permit for archery and come on down, I'm there most weekends and could point you in some ok directions if ya wanted.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
Numbers are good in all places I been hunting.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
Been hunting here in the san gabriel mts. for 50 years.Use to be lots of deer but now you would be lucky to see one.Mr. OBAMA just declared the mts. to be a national monumet.What is that going to do to my hunting?
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
Dale in Pa......I'm in the middle of the state in the Mohawk Valley.............just south of the Adirondack Park....The tpo of region 4 bottom of region 5........Kopper1013.....I have hunted Letchworth Park several times, saw a few deer but with the antler Res. never saw a legal buck, just spikes and does. And as you know seeing a few and getting a shot are worlds apart. Plus it's like 3 1/2 hours from home!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©