3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer numbers in your area.........??  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer numbers in your area.........??
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
We got hit with EHD in Michigan two years ago. The herd has bounced back pretty good in the Southern half. I'm in SW Michigan and saw 15 deer from my stand last week. 3 of these were bucks. Two 6pts. and one 4pt.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
Not near as many as there used to be, but I'm not complaining. Good healthy balance I would say. I see deer year round pretty much. I don't know what the stats are Ron, but there are enough here for me.I never try to kill more than two deer a season, and I haven't tried to kill a doe in 6 or 7 years. That will change this year if I can be so lucky.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
Ken, I'm sorry you have no deer at all on your mountain. LOL   :laughing:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
Yea, Ken and Handsome Ron are in a tough area for deer, but you go an hour south, and it's a whole lot better!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
Takes a bit more than an hour for me. But I agree south and east is a big improvement. I have been hunting a bit in the bow only zone near Albany and my sightings have gone up......shot remain the same.......lol! The bow zone only is about an hour away. Due south would be Scoharie County, about the same numbers as here......at one time it was fantastic, now not so much. An hour north put me in the Adirondacks and that just get worse if that's even possible.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Knawbone:
Ken, I'm sorry you have no deer at all on your mountain. LOL    :laughing:  
I think Ken has a better chance of finding the honest lawyer yup there lol.

He killed the only buck last year    :laughing:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
The parts of Texas and Oklahoma I typically are both having sever droughts and all wilkdlife numbers are down.  Oaks have not produced an acorn crop and the lake levels are below 20%  I am so looking forward to spending Nov 10-15 in Ohio!!!!
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »
I live in Central Florida.  What's this deer you speak of?  I know we have dogs with antlers running around the woods and if you see one your extremely lucky, especially on public land.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Online Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
WI really varies depending upon where you live. Overall buck harvest numbers from last year list anywhere from less than 1 to 6.3 per square mile. The area where I live is mostly forested, some farmland, and it's at 1.6. it seems to have gotten worse the last few years with coyotes and wolf populations.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Paul/KS:
For the last couple of years the numbers have been low in the part of NE Kansas where I live.
This observation is based on time in the field, on the road at various times and also talking with other hunters. We had a couple of dry years and that seems to have had an effect on the population around here.
Same here.  Still have some deer, but a far cry from what it used to be.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Coyotes are bad around here I can't imagine dealing with wolves also!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2014, 05:01:00 AM »
Zone 11 in Mass we are loaded up I have many pics and videos of deer standing all around the house and I'm not really considered to live in the sticks.

I think the numbers are coming up, and I think it has alot to do with Mass opening the coyote season 1 day before deer season now instead of in February which they did for years,,,  fawn bleats bring in coyotes and they quickly get shot leaving many fawns to survive .
"Us vs Them"

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »
Deer in zone 8 are on the decline due to the coyote population. You best recover deer the day it is shot. Coyotes in many areas are running in packs.

Worked on the Vineyard last year and they are claiming something like 27 deer per square mile. I believe Nantucket is up there too. Both islands are mostly scrub oak. Asked a bowhunter on the ferry years ago how they hunt deer in the scrub oak. He told me they set up right by runs on stepladders.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
Ron, I live in Saratoga County here in New York.  Not too sure what the deer numbers are however, we do have a lot more does than bucks.  My guess is that we probably have the same buck ratio as your area.  I've seen an average of three doe every morning or afternoon I hunt but so far I've seen one small 6 pointer.

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
We have bunches,but you won't find too many P&Y.We have a city hunt every year and this year you're allow 7 just in the city,the first one has to be a doe and only 2 bucks can be taken in the city and the season opened 2 weeks before the regular season and those don't count against your tags..I'm not even really sure on a regular license with all the extra tags, cause I really don't gun hunt.
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Odd, I'm noticing a trend that the more rural the area the less deer we are seeing    :confused:

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hermon:

Originally posted by Paul/KS:
For the last couple of years the numbers have been low in the part of NE Kansas where I live.
This observation is based on time in the field, on the road at various times and also talking with other hunters. We had a couple of dry years and that seems to have had an effect on the population around here.
Same here.  Still have some deer, but a far cry from what it used to be. [/b]
I can tell no difference in our spots from years past, plenty of deer turkeys and other game. If anything the numbers are up tons of does with triplets on all of our spots this year. I'm pretty close to both you guys and found plenty of dead deer during the blue tounge outbreak so I don't know what the difference is.

We run a bunch of cams, lots of night scouting but dang I can't drive around anywere from Topeka to KC and not see bunches of deer everywhere like normal in the fields. I saw bucks all summer out in the middle of the day eating soybeans once they came on.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
I know you have a ton of deer down your way Tracy and I see them along that corridor as well. But get north of the Kaw and up my way and things have been slim for a while now. Mike Horton started noticing it a couple years ago too.
Weird...   :confused:

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
Still lots of deer in East Mississippi, but not nearly as many as there were 10-15 years ago.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Deer numbers are down drastically in this particular area of S. Il.

I use to come up here as a non-res. and hunt for about a month each yr. and the area was loaded with deer. I'd see them all times of day in the fields along the roads in yards everywhere. So I decided to move up here. First yr I got here EHD hit hard and numbers have been dropping every yr since for many reasons.

One morning several yrs ago I had 55 deer come by my stand all coming from the same direction..didn't count the ones coming back. Now I'm lucky to see one per hunt..have seen deer 3 times from my stand this season and hunted almost every day since the first.

Other areas of Il. population is still good..spotty in lots of areas.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©