3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who shoots split?  (Read 948 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
who shoots split?
« on: October 14, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
I got a tuesday two'fer for you guys.

1. If you shoot split why? Are there any advantages on paper to shooting split?

2. Do any of you who shoot split shoot Hill style with the arrow nock over the string nock? If so why?

I have just been wondering these things....   ;)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: who shoots split?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 01:11:00 PM »
I shoot split because I always have and it's comfortable.  On paper it's better because if I tried to shoot 3under I'd have to learn how and re-tune bows and arrows.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
I shoot split. I don't paper tune. I use two tied on nocking points. It simply works for me.

On some of my Hills I do shoot one tied on nock. I shoot over the nocking point. I have read and been told the arrow can slide down upon release if nocked below. Can't prove it, but when I do shoot Hills and nock over only, it works for me. I get less if not zero porpoising with nocking over and double nocking. If I see porpoising, I know I need a string nock adjustment.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
I shoot split. Always have and always will as it works with no problems for me. I use one nock and nock my arrow below. My second finger holds the arrow against the nock and there is no slippage.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
I anchor with my center finger on my top jaw between my eye tooth and the next one back , split finger so basically if I would shoot three under with my index finger in the corner of my mouth the nock of the arrow would be close to the same position. Also if I try to raise three under and gun barrel my glasses get in the way. I also use two nocking pts. on my string cause I worry that my arrow will slide up and fall off. It's cold here in Wisconsin and I don't always hold my bow. Learned the "Hard way" when I used to use one nock pt. below for a fast second arrow and dropped a few. You need to do what works for you but with in eye on the archers of old for they had some good ideas for their style of hunting.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
I shoot split.  I have never been comfortable shooting three-under, though I have tried it.  If I were to go shoot targets and needed to use a gapping system in order to compete, I would shoot 3-under, but I do just fine without a conscious aiming system out to 25 yards, and it's much simpler.  I started shooting trad to get away from all the target shooting, so this works for me.  There is no doubt that 3-under is the way to go if you want to compete and shoot good scores.  I just don't do that anymore.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
I shoot split finger because it is just more comfortable as well. I do not paper tune. Since I make my own arrows it is easier for me to tune/match my arrows to the bow I'm shooting.

I always nock my arrow above the string nock because that was the way I was taught.

I keep everything consistent, comfortable, and enjoyable to shoot. I find this a huge advantage.
'Nothing's forgotten... nothing's ever forgotten' - Robin of Sherwood

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
I shoot split finger I do tie on nocks over and under.
Never shoot through paper. I've messed around with 3 under I can shoot that way but split is just for me
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
I shoot split because that's the way I was taught 40 + years ago.  I like the control I get having a finger on each side of the arrow.  I also have wrapped nocks on both sides of the arrow when hunting; added security when things can go wrong.    

I've used 3 under and it works fine (it can be extremely accurate) although there can be nuances with tuning and sound off the arrow rest.  When done right, it is awesome.  My brother shoots three under miserably, he rarely has good arrow flight and his bow is always loud...I can't offer him advice.  

Bows should specifically be tillered for three under.  Three under places the arrow directly under your eye, so you can sight down the length of it (shot gunning) to aim (non instinctively).  Gene Wensel shoots three under I believe.

I've nocked my arrows on top of the string nock and it works fine.  It is primarily done when used with a back quiver for "speed loading".  A John Schulz/ Howard Hill thing.  

No cost in trying anything different...it's all learning.

Kris

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Started shooting spit in 1956. I've tried 3 under and didn't feel comfortable or natural for me. I tie dental floss above and below the nocking point.....fresh dental floss works best    :D
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
split for me with a brass nock above the arrow
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Shot split from 1955. All of my bows are quieter and I anchor as high as the 3 under shooters putting their first finger in the corner of their mouths, at least the arrow is in the same place on the face. I don't paper tune and have no idea why people are even commenting on that one. I have two nocking points.

Split is superior for me shooting running and flying game.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
I shoot split with a tie nock above and below.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Split - tied on nock above and below
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
I don't paper tune and have no idea why people are even commenting on that one.
I think it was a misunderstanding to the second half of question 1.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
I shoot split because I was taught to shoot that way in 1969. I have never found it necessary to sight down the arrow shaft which many 3 under shooters do. I use a tie on nock, and nock below the nock. By nocking below the nock, the weight of the arrow point(field or broadhead) forces the nock up against the nocking point and the arrow does not fall off the string. This method offers much better balance and control.   :archer:

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
I shoot split because I have more control of the arrow.  Works best when you need a quick shot such as at a running rabbit.  I place the arrow on top of the nock because it's easier to load a second arrow on the string from a back quiver if you nock on top. If I didn't hunt a lot of small game, I would probably shoot three under because I think it is a little more accurate.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
Split, nock below with either one or two points.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
I shoot split because that is the way I learned years ago. I have tried 3-under a couple times and did not like the results........or the noise. Also, I have my nock point above my arrow.

Bisch

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
I have totally noticed how 3 under seems noisy. I am told when listening to me shoot that it sounds the same. But to me it sure sounds louder when I shoot.

It seems like it would be quieter as there is no contact to the arrow. Why's it louder?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©