3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tagging  (Read 373 times)

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
tagging
« on: October 14, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
So I have been watching a few of the deer killing shows on TV, not hunting just killing, and I have noticed that when they kill a deer and recover it right away they make a big deal about tagging it. When they have to wait over night and then find it was eaten by yotes they never say anything about putting a tag on it. Do you think they tag it or just grab the head and try again? Seems to me they should tag it just the same, they did kill it.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tagging
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
hmmmm thats a tough one.
i've never run into this myself but it would seem that ethics and  morals would dictate that you tag it.
  i'll be interested to read the responses.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
I saw just this same thing last night. the guy said he was happy to.put his tag on this trophy even though it had been eaten.
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
I would tag it if I killed it.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
I've heard rangers tell hunters to keep the tag since an animal got it and they didn't. Of course, that's hearsay, laws and your own morals may say differently.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
If you take any part of it home you better tag it.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
I've know guys that tagged large bucks even when found,a,week later. If,it was a,lesser,rack or a,doe I know it would not have been tagged.

I'm more of a meat hunter, if I lost a deer,to a,poor shot placement or elements or coyotes I probably would not use my tag. If I gave it as much effort as possible to recover the animal I would feel OK about saving the tag.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 04:06:00 AM »
In Maryland we get a bunch of tags and I have burned one on a deer that was found by animals before I found it.
I love Bow Hunting

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 05:38:00 AM »
If the critters eat it, let them tag it.

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »
I saw just this same thing last night. the guy said he was happy to.put his tag on this trophy even though it had been eaten.
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
If I'm taking any of it, I tag.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
I would think that the TV personalities would do the right thing and tag it. Being that there was an actual documentation of the whole thing. If there was an "audit" so to speak couLdnt they be punished for poaching otherwise...?

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
I'm on the fence. Down here we get a lot of "tags", as in we just fill the date in on our card, no physical "tag" on the animal. With 10 antler-less and 2 antlered deer, I would fill it in regardless. But growing up in NY you got one buck and a lottery for doe, sometimes 1,sometimes 2.  Thats a bit trickier. Growing up we also counted on the meat for the year, these days I do not. So the circumstances are a little different. Now if you shot a doe, and then found it eaten by coyotes and you did not salvage it I can see not tagging it. Though if it was a buck and you even just wanted the antlers I would say you tag it. Like said above, once to claim and remove any portion of the animal, tag it. If its a good buck and you just want the antlers I would call DNR and ask if its ok to not tag it. Worst case is they say no and that you have to tag it. To me the risk isnt worth it, the only thing worse than blowing a tag is getting your hunting license revoked.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
Matty,
You are correct that video evidence is used to make cases. I know of one made in KY a few years ago.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
I have tagged and will tag any deer I kill even if I don't get anything from it , I still killed that deer period.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
Here in pa if you can show a warden that an animal is unfit for consumption they will issue you a replacement tag. That would be what I would do if most of my meat was eaten by predators. I'd tag and take the carcass to game commission headquarters and see if they wouldn't give me a new tag. If not id just scavenge all I could from what was left after they told me no

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
If you can't salvage the meat but do take the antlers and thus use a tag, you had better document why you didn't take the meat.  Otherwise you might open yourself up to a fine for wanton waste of meat.  It is illegal in most states, and rightfully so, to only keep the antlers of animals shot.  Make sure to have photo evidence of why you cut off the antlers and didn't take any meat.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©