3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why choose LB limbs over recurve limbs, on the same riser?  (Read 959 times)

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
Why choose LB limbs over recurve limbs, on the same riser?
« on: October 14, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Why do some of you guys choose LB limbs over recurve limbs on a t/d bow that uses the same riser? (Stalker, TT, Schafer, Timberghost). I'm sure there are some good reasons, but I don't have a lot of experience with LB's, so enlighten me. Just seems to me, the main attraction of LB's is the physical lightweight of the bow, so I'm not sure why one would want a heavy risered LB. What are your reasons?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why choose LB limbs over recurve limbs, on the same riser?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
I got longbow limbs on my Toelke Lynx takedown bow because I wanted a super accurate longbow to shoot in the longbow division of tournaments.  I believe the extra weight improves accuracy, as well as the 66" length, compared with my one-piece longbows, which are 64".

Aside from the reasons I got the Lynx, a hunter might get a takedown reflex deflex longbow for the convenience of being able to pack it, and because many people believe a reflex deflex longbow is the best compromise there is between the advantages of a recurve and a longbow.  It has almost the speed of a recurve, doesn't have much if any handshock, and has little or no risk of limb twist that a recurve might have.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
There are other advantages to longbows: they are usually much quieter, often smoother drawing and more forgiving (stable). Did I mention they are quieter? A longbow with R/D limbs that approaches the cast of a recurve without all the noise is a beautiful thing. I find them to be more enjoyable to shoot - not as "violent" upon release as the high performance recurves.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
Recurve limbs usually have less finger pinch w/ the same length limbs. Like any design some are touchier to shoot than others in both regards.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
I just prefer a longbow over a recurve.  I have both limbs for my RER so that settles that !
CHuckC

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
I can slide the Longbow limb into my boot and have the bow at ready at all times. Recurve, not so much.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
I have a t/d bow being built soon, and really want to go with the LB limbs just to have something a little different. Help me solidify my choice :-)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
Honestly a recurve has to be pretty special now (like the double carbon Schafer I just reviewed not long ago, or the Cari-bow Tuktu, or Toelke SS) for me to take any interest in it vs. hybrid longbow limbs.  R/D limbs may give up a few fps in speed depending on the design/make/model but they nearly always make up for it in reduced noise level, more linear draw feel, and more stable shooting.  That to me is why the hybrid longbow is the ultimate hunting bow.  That and if you forget your stringer its still pretty easy to string most of them with a push-pull.  Can't beat it.

I still like a few recurves.  Its mostly about looks with them.  Love a handsomely designed recurve bow, the curves are just sexy.  I'm a big fan of statics too.  For me they bridge the gap for guys who are on the fence.  

Honestly, you need to shoot both styles and see what you like.  Two different flavors.  You should go with the one that feels the best and yields the best shooting results for you and the one that when you look at the strung shape it just calls out to you.  For me that is r/d and hybrid longbows.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Quieter...according to my ears.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
I would say the main reason is torsional stability.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by stujay:
Quieter...according to my ears.
With out a doubt........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
Most risers that accept both longbow and recurve limbs are better suited for one or the other.  If the riser and thus usually the limbs are wide, and the limb pad angle is rather large, recurve limbs are usually better.  If the riser is narrow, and accordingly the limbs are narrower, and the limb pad angle isn't as great, longbow limbs work better, IMO.  

For example, I have a Morrison Shawnee.  IMO, the riser is much better designed to accept and get better performance out of longbow rather than recurve limbs. On the other hand, the Morrison   Cheyenne riser gets more out of recurve limbs than longbow limbs.  In the looks department, too, longbow limbs on a Shawnee riser and recurve limbs on a Cheyenne riser just look better than their counterparts.  That's my experience and perception.  I'm sure some would disagree with me.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Cause longhbows are just sexy!!!!!!

Bisch

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
I have often wondered the same thing. I want my longbows to be slender, light, wands of death.

Putting longbow limbs on a big heavy clunky riser is like petting a dog backwards. It gets the job done but it just ain't right.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
My RER XR [recurve] limbs are actually quieter than my longbow limbs...but the longbow limbs are more forgiving to shoot; I get a little more consistent arrow flight with them. I think that is the greatest advantage. But...I still like my XR better!
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
Cause longhbows are just sexy!!!!!!

While I will not argue this point, my new Bighorn from BigJim gets my juices flowning.   :D
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
I can't seem to decide what bow I shoot the best...seems I shoot them all the same.

Once I pick up a bow and get ready to shoot, I quit thinking about the bow.

Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 12:27:00 AM »
No matters for me, I think if you have a good form and a good release you can shoot them both accuratly,in other way i never see a olympic target shooter shooting a hybrid bow !!!!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 12:46:00 AM »
Have to agree with Big Jim...I could never tell the difference between my RER LXR with the recurve or longbow limbs...that is probably the most consistent bow I have ever owned which of course means I traded it away...so many bows and so little time

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 12:53:00 AM »
There are a bunch of generalizations being posted here that i completely disagree with.  Recurve limbs can be just as quiet as long bow limbs if they are designed correctly and you use decent hunting weight arrows.

The statements being made that recurve bows are faster than long bows is an old school way of thinking. There are many R/D long bows being made  today that are just as fast or faster than the average recurve bows.....

The hybrid long bow limbs are my favorite for hunting because they slide through the brush easier, can be push/pull strung in the field easily, and torsional stability is much higher with no worries of ever popping a string off if you were to get tangled up in the brush.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©