3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why Osage?  (Read 994 times)

Offline dannyvp

• Trad Bowhunter
Why Osage?
« on: September 28, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
I've been trying to figure this out.
Why are most people making their selfbows from Osage?
Orange osage is the horse apple tree right?
"I make dirt look good"

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why Osage?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
your are correct as to the why, I think its the best wood for a bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
One reason might be that it is simply an outstanding wood-in the right hands. I recently got a Strunk made osage self bow that shoots circles around glass laminated flat long bows.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
Aged osage not only looks good, but it is strong, smooth, fast. What else is there?
Lon Scott

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Hey....Im trying hickory!   :biglaugh:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
OSAGE,,, mmmmmmmm!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
My experience has been that osage limbed bows usually shoot heavier arrows better than bamboo.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Osage has the unique property of being strong both in compression and tension giving it a greater likelihood of durability.  This strength also increases cast with lower set after break in.  It is also one of the easiest woods to induce a bend into(ie. recurves and reflex) without breaking.  Combine the above with the inherent beauty and sometimes gnarly nature of the wood makes it my favorite yet. Have fun, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Another word for the Osage Orange tree is Bois d'arc.  That means "wood bow" or "wood of bow"

It has a color that is hard to replicate. Simply beautiful.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
I'll have to throw in that Osage has got to be the most forgiving wood for the mistakes that a beginning bowyer makes. It is the only wood that I have found that will survive the stress  of being a bow, when it has bad longitudenal splits in it. Osage is, indeed, an amazing wood!

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 02:08:00 AM »
What I like about it,in addition to some of the things mentioned above, is how little of it you need to make a hunting weight bow. White woods will make a nice bow, but osage will make the same weight  bow, only a lot slimmer and sleeker.imo
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
I agree with all the above, osage was just meant to be bow wood. Plus you can pry your truck out of the mud without damaging the bow  :jumper:  it is just that tough!
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
If you can get your truck outta the Mud with the Bow, does that mean it has Excellent Cast?   :readit:    :goldtooth:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
Shakes,,,if the bow is tillered just right considering tension & compression, osage will cast that truck out of the mud hole without taking a set!   :biglaugh:
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
I love Osage for Bows.

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
Just try it you'll see.   :bigsmyl:
Jason Lester

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
When Art Young and Saxon Pope went to hunt the cold Alaskan north they left their beloved Yew bows behind and opted for Osage... that should tell you something.

I've got an old Osage bow, 64", 60#@28" that was made in the early 1940's. I still shoot it from time to time. Osage is tough and durable and the best choice for a wood bow that you want to last IMHO.   :readit:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline DaleinOhio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »
Check out the quote from Meriweather Lewis below.  He wrote it in his journal during his famous trek across the continent.  Seems osage has been the bow wood of choice for a LONG time.
"So much do the savages esteem the wood of this tree for the purpose of making their bows, that they travel many hundred miles in quest of it."  -- Meriweather Lewis' description of the Osage Orange tree in a letter sent to Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
I believe a well made osage bow will last the owner a life time.

For me it is readily available where I live, and a challenge to take it's normally dogleg, twisted configuration and turn it into a straight nicely reflexed bow stave.

It works easily, much easier to rasp and scrape than hickory and has a wonderful radiance in is grain. Watching those golden curls scrape from the wood makes you feel rich and privileged to own it.

It will make a great bow of any design design, narrow, wide, long or short, doesn't matter, osage is up to the task.

It cuts like a raw potato when green, forget the tales about sparks flying from a chain saw or dulling blades one after another. Anybody that sees sparks flying from their chain when they cut it has hit grit embedded in the bark or hit a nearby rock.

I guess you all can tell I love of osage. I also have enough cut and stored to last me a lifetime.

Offline wakolbinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
the real question is..why use anything else?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©