3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why Osage?  (Read 995 times)

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why Osage?
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
I love hearing about this but then why didnt Howard Hill go with Osage .Why did he end up with split bamboo and finally having that glassed?If Osage was that good I would have thought he'd use that and glass it as well.Bamboo must have something important over the other woods?

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
Good question CV...And why are virtually all the flight distance records held with hickory in the primative classes??...O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
Hickory is a great bow wood especially in dry arid regions where they have the flight shooting events. In wet climates Hickory sucks up moisture and changes cast, extreme weather changes will affect Hickory this way also.  It doe's not affect Osage.  Howard probably went with laminated bow because you can build them faster than a stave bow, jmho.  There were a lot of respected bowyers and archers in the Thirties and Forties who used Osage.  Earl Hoyt, Fred Bear, and Nels Grumley to name a few.

Dan Raney
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
All of the above, and Cuz it's yella!  :bigsmyl:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
tis might be a dumb question, but has anyone ever made osage arrows??

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
I have not personally made osage arrow s but know a man who has. Talk about a heavy arrow! Most likely if a piece of osage is found that is long enough to make an arrow,,it will be made into a bow instead. At least I know thats what I would do given the choice.  :)
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
lol, yea not a bad idea espcially if ur goin underwater bowhunting

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
Osage is God's gift to bow makers.  It's extremely strong in tension and compression, can make a compact bow in heavy hunting weights, is less affected by changes in temperature and humidity, is very hard and can withstand rough handling in the field, and isn't prone to unexpected failure.

Do a search on "Why did my my (red oak, poplar, locust, Home Depot crown moulding, etc.) bow break?  Then do a search for the same with osage.  The lack of hits for osage should speak volumes.  :^)

Offline dannyvp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
Well i hav been reading on Osage some.
And even looking around a little. I remember seeing horse apple trees around but low and behold i cant find one now, go figure.
Anyway i've also been looking for a how to on picking and harvesting the wood. Does anyone know where a "how to" On picking and careing for the wood is?
"I make dirt look good"

Offline dannyvp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
Well i found some Osage Trees. Now What?
I also found directions to build a bow horse.
so i also need a Draw knife. Ummmmm like i dont spend enough money already.
"I make dirt look good"

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
The sparks off the chainsaw is no tale. I had 'em coming off my chain in a clean log. I have also had the same in a locust log. I would love to find a good osage tree. They are all short and twisted around Meade Co. Ky. Good Huntin'
DR

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
I recently built an osage self bow that is 48" t/t, 1" wide and pulls 54#@24". I pulled this bow to 26" with no ill effects. That is one reason I like osage best for self bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
Try to pick a tree that has a straight trunk at least 6 ft (longer is better) with no limbs growing from it. Small limbs arn't a big problem as long as there aren't too many.

Also try to find one that is growing straight up. In my experience, a tree growing at an angle tends to have more twist and stress on the inside. Be sure the bark is growing straight up the trunk and not growing in a twist up the trunk. This takes a little experience to get an eye for.

Look for a tree that is 12 to 18 inches thick.
This is not crucial, but you will yeild more staves from a tree this size than you will from a smaller one. Trees bigger than that are a bear to handle and split by hand.

I bet will look over about 200 trees to find one that is exceptional for bow making. I have access to a lot of osage so I am pretty selective.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
As for caring for it after it's down.
Take your splitting maul and at least 3 wedges with you and stave it out where you cut it.
Spend a while inspecting your log. Pay attention to any knot's or "cat eyes". Look over both ends and pay attention to the thickness of the growth rings.
Decide where you want your splits. Try to plan your splits so as to avoid waste. Again, this takes some practice but don't be intimidated.
You will want your staves to be no less than 3 inches wide.
Start a wedge in the end of the log. Once you get one (or two) started, then place your wedges in the opening you have started on the side of the log. Just keep working your way down the log until it is in two peices. You may need a hatchet to help cut some of the "stringy" stuff as you go along.

Once I have my staves, I usually try to get the bark and ALL the sap wood off within a week or two. This will eliminates any bug infestation that could ruin your stave.
After I have that done I seal the ends and the back that I just cleaned the sapwood from with shellac or carpenters glue.
Put them up to dry and do something else for at least a year.

Offline dannyvp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
Well i may have to be quick about getting them out of the woods. I may not be able to split them there. If i cant not split them there do you just seal the ends to keep the bugs out until you split it?
"I make dirt look good"

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
Sealing the ends won't keep the bugs out, spraying the bark with a strong insecticide will, for a couple of months at least.

Offline Dean Marlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
I personally like to let my osage logs set whole a month or two before I split them. I like my logs to stabalize a little after cutting. Quite a shock to a log being cut then trying to be split with wedges immediately. Let them set in a dry place for about a month and you will have less warpage I found out.  Dean
Dean Marlow

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
That's good advice Dean.

The reason I split them on site is to make carrying them out less of a chore.
I'm usually a little light on motorized transport and have to carry them from the cut site to the truck !!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
You said it Eric!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
PatB,
You got a picture of that?  Sounds awsom.
dannyvp,
After your first, there will be a second.  Just know that.  And then a third and fourth.  Then you will realize that you are finally understanding how to build a bow, so you build another.  Then your family members want one so ....

Bitten by the bug.
Good luck.  There are lots of life lessons to learn from building a bow.  Good luck and God bless.
Ben
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©