3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Static Tip Curves: Which Bowyers have Mastered It?  (Read 1957 times)

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Static Tip Curves: Which Bowyers have Mastered It?
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
Expect to be trying out a TimberGhost with RC static tips in a few months.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
I've gone through four models of statics plus a bunch of prototypes. All of them have been really good bows. However each new model has been built as an improvement in some way over the last model.
If I determine any imagined or real fault in a model then I work to eliminate that plus add too the overall performance in one way or another.
Sooooooooooo,

Mastered? I believe that the current model bows I am building are as good as or better than any bow being built but I am also sure that I can eventually determine an improvement that will require me to build yet another set of forms.

I doubt that I will ever consider myself a master as long as I believe that I may be able to improve in some way.
Models I have built are the Talon, Talon 11, Storm Eagle and Steppe Eagle. I built my first static forms 14 years ago.

God bless, Steve

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
Mastered, in the sense that some builders have gotten this style of limb down to the point where it shoots well with few problems in terms of lateral stability at the tips, which could lead to trouble if one doesn't string it up perfectly every time.  The bow stringer is a given; I don't know how anyone strings any bow without one.  If you can, good on you, because I don't want to try it.  After talking to Mike, I think I might have gotten too long a bow back then.  It was a 64", which he thinks is too long for my barely 28" draw.  I was essentially shooting a dynamic limb with extra weight on the ends.  I would have been better off with a shorter bow, probably.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
I'm another shocked at the OPs opinion on RERs.   I've shot a lot of bows in my time - currently own about 20 and have had many many others that I've since sold.  My RER recurve is my all time favorite.  

To me that just shows how useless it is to get other people's opinions on what a good bow is.  What you like is obviously very different from what I or anybody else might like.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
That's correct, Whip, which is why I said it didn't work FOR ME.  After talking to Dryad, I feel that I might have had too long a bow, and wasn't getting into the limb enough at my draw.  Clearly, RER makes good bows, but I've shot lots of bows that other people swear by which I hated.  That proves nothing about whether you or someone else will like those bows.  Black Widow clearly makes one of the better recurves out there, but they don't work well for me, and I've tried really hard to like them, because everything about them screams quality, and many of my friends shoot them.  I also love the way they look, and the mass weight of them, but something about the grip doesn't fit me.  I've tried both the standard and Asbell grips on them, but still never shot them well.  They are great bows, though.  Same with RER; no complaints on the quality of the bow, it just didn't do anything for me, or at least not what I expected it to do, but that's possibly because I never got it drawn far enough to realize the benefits of the static limb design.  I've decided, after talking to Mike at Dryad, to try one of his bows.  He had a riser and set of medium ACS recurve limbs on hand that I liked very much, and I've ordered them.  He was very helpful and his rep speaks for itself.  Liking a bow is very much a personal thing; I hate longbows, but that doesn't mean that longbows are bad, it just means that I don't favor them.  I've owned and sold a bunch of different brands of bows, and with one exception never thought the bow itself was bad.  I just kept the ones that I shot well, and parted with the ones I didn't shoot well.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
I can totally sympathize about the draw length vs bow length on statics.

The RER XR I had was 62" and at my slightly over 29" draw I felt like I was just on the edge of fully working the limbs, a 60" would have been better.  Whereas on a bow like the Cari-bow Tuktu EX I had, it was 60" and I felt that if I got another I would rather have the 62".  And crazier still on the Shrew Lil Favorite/Java Helms Deep I had the 54" was perfect..it of course is a radical forward handle design.  Your mileage will vary from design to design.  

I really think you're going to like that Dryad.  Great choice!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Thanks, I hope that I will.  One last thing:  I posted this hoping to learn something, not in an attempt to criticize anyone's bows.  Maybe I didn't express that very well.  I could only give my personal experience with this limb design.  The one example I tried was not quiet, TO ME, and I did not shoot it well.  Others might have thought the bow dead quiet, perhaps.  I was wondering if this was something to do with the static design not working for me or with the bow simply not working for me, that's all.  I have learned something, and that is that the length of the bow in this design is probably more critical than in a full working limb.  Once again, I have no criticism of the quality of that RER bow, it was simply the only example of a static that I had ever tried.  Recent things I've read have led me to re-visit the static limb concept.  I like to try new things.  I could probably shoot a Wes Wallace bow for the rest of my life and be happy, but I'd like to see if there is something else out there that might give me some benefits I'm not getting right now, even though I'm happy with what I am shooting.  I never meant this to be a criticism of any bowyer's work.  It's entirely possible that I would love an RER in a different length or model.  The workmanship on the one I had was excellent.

Offline Arcobsessed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Bought a Dryad and couldn't shoot it worth a hoot. Didn't help that the company made it 7 lbs. heavier than I'd ordered. Bought a Black Widow and never regretted it.

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
That little 52" Texas Commanche static was a bow I always wanted to try. Wish I'd have bought one back when Paul Brunner was selling them in his catalog. I'd still buy one if I ever find a used one. Just a cool lookin bow.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Well, the one I ordered is a stock bow, so I know the weight on the limbs.  I know for a fact that I don't shoot Black Widows well, because I've owned two of them.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
I do NOT  own a Static Tip Recurve  I am ALMOST a strictly Long bow man > that being said  My son is a Recurve guy and owns almost noghint but Static tipped recurves . He has a beautiful RER PLUS Kwyk Styk and Eagle wing from Steve . Recently I shot the Kwyk Styk  for a lot of practice due to me being placed into a Pop-up Ground blind that restricted the height of the bow I could use and I elected to use the Qwyk Styk  due to its 54" length.   MY usual bows are in the 64" range both D and Hy-brids . For me to drop 10 inches  is a big deal .   NOW  I have shot the Eagle wing  and the RER  extensively in the past and I am generally im pressed by the smoothness of the draw and release  compared to my long bows .  AND  during that prep for the hunt I did shoot the RER and Eagle wing again to see how they felt . ( all are in the same weight range )  Having shot them then recently. The Qwyk Styk won out ONLY due to its length .  AGAIN I will say that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the RER  but I do beleive that that the Qwyk Styk (Kempf)   and the Eagle WIng ( Talent ) were FAR superior.   MY choice would be for the Eagle WIng. One of the reasons is that Jack Kempf is to the point that he may not be making bows much longer .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Pretty sure if you did not like the RER you will not like any of them...Kevin built absolutely great static tip bows...he is going to be missed even if the new guys turn out to be just as good

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
Pretty sure if you did not like the RER you will not like any of them...Kevin built absolutely great static tip bows...he is going to be missed even if the new guys turn out to be just as good

DDave
I agree.........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »
I certainly agree that RERs are really great bows with a great design. My thoughts on this have been that the bow was probably not set at a correct brace to give it the stability it needed. Just a thought.

God bless, Steve

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
Could have been lots of things.  I might not have gotten the right arrow spine, for one thing.  Lots of people seem to think the statics might need a bit stiffer arrow.  Could have been the limbs were too long for me to properly get into the static tips with my draw, which is pretty average.  I bought a 64" as a target bow, with a pretty light weight, as I recall, thinking the same way I'd think if I were getting a dynamic limb target bow: longer equal smoother, better string angle, more stable, etc.  Lots of stuff I've since learned about static tips seems to disagree with that thinking.  Who knows?  I'm picky about grips, and it might have been that, for all I know.  It was a very long time ago.  I know a lot more about tuning a recurve now than I did then.  I probably expected too much based on what I had been told at the time.  Now, I realize that no matter how well-made a bow is, and no matter how many other people love it, that doesn't mean I am going to love it.  If I don't, I'll try something else.  No big deal.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
  Could have been lots of things. I might not have gotten the right arrow spine, for one thing. Lots of people seem to think the statics might need a stiffer arrow.  Could have been lots of things.  I might not have gotten the right arrow spine, for one thing.  Lots of people seem to think the statics might need a bit stiffer arrow.  Could have been the limbs were too long for me to properly get into the static tips with my draw, which is pretty average.  I bought a 64" as a target bow, with a pretty light weight, as I recall, thinking the same way I'd think if I were getting a dynamic limb target bow: longer equal smoother, better string angle, more stable, etc.  Lots of stuff I've since learned about static tips seems to disagree with that thinking.  Who knows?  I'm picky about grips, and it might have been that, for all I know.  It was a very long time ago.  I know a lot more about tuning a recurve now than I did then.  I probably expected too much based on what I had been told at the time.  Now, I realize that no matter how well-made a bow is, and no matter how many other people love it, that doesn't mean I am going to love it.  If I don't, I'll try something else.  No big deal.
that's entirely possible. I ended up using a much stiffer setup than Stu's calculator churned out, and than most people suggested as a ballpark guess. My Retro is 53#@ 28" (I draw a tad over that), and I shoot 31" GT 7595's with 250 grains up front. that setup is lights out, with field points and broadheads.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
Yes, Mike told me to start with a stiffer arrow than I am used to for a fifty pound bow.  He said a 150 might work at 28.75" w/ a 125 point, but probably will start with 250s for a heavier arrow.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to trying the Dryad.  The riser he had is pretty without being too flashy, and has nice mass (cocobolo and ebony actionwood).  He has given me plenty of good advice to start with.  I'm going to take my time and not get frustrated if it doesn't shoot lights out in the first few days.  I'm ready to experiment; I've been shooting the same thing for a long time now.  I am intrigued by the static limb concept.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
good luck! I think you will find that with a grip that fits your hand well, and a well-tuned arrow, you will be won over by the quietness and efficiency of the static.

I surely was.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
The commanche recurve by Curtis byrd is a great static quiet dead in the hand and fast a short bow a bit of finger pinch if you draw past 28 .If there was atop 5 it would have to be on that list imho.
Arrow_Flynn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©