3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HELP!!!  (Read 259 times)

Offline bill m

• Trad Bowhunter
HELP!!!
« on: September 28, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Hello, long time lurker, finally registered. I am amazed at the skill and knowledge of the folks that post on this forum. With that said, I am in need of help. I have read all the posts and seen the video on how to sharpen 3 bladed broadheads (Wensel's and Razorcaps). I have used a sharpie to mark the blade edges, files, stones of various grits, diamond hones of different grits, and leather strops, with and without polishing compound. What I end up with is a very shiny, smooth edge, with absolutely no cutting ability at all. Is there hope for someone like me, who is apparently beyond sharpening challenged? Thanks.

Bill

Offline bill m

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
ttt

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
There is something in the How-to section on sharpening Bhs.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
Bill... if you've gone through all the steps and still don't get a good cutting edge, you are either not going far enough with the file/coarse stone part or you are using too much pressure in the polishing part.

Personally I will hunt with the head right off the file... last strokes should have almost no pressure.

I'll often just give the head a light push or two across a ceramic hone to remove the burr edge.

Easy does it at the end.

Once the head has been brought to an edge on the file, you should not be able to see ANY shiny spots along it.... the very edge, not the sides.

The shiny spots are where the edge isn't completely sharpened.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©