3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow length for tree stand hunting?  (Read 430 times)

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow length for tree stand hunting?
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
I'm currently using a 66" longbow and am having trouble in tree stands. What length do you tree stand hunters have good luck with?
TOBY

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow length for tree stand hunting?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
74"...
Silence is golden.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
56" Super Shrew Classic Hunter works great for me.  I've used my 68" Howard Hill longbow before, but it's only good in certain trees for me.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
I've hunted from tree stand with a 72" long bow with no trouble. You just have to check the clearances all around you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Any bow will be easier to manuver on flat ground opposed to a tree. Try to build your treestand around your bow instead of vice versa. I use a 60 inch bow in trees.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
  I've hunted from tree stand with a 72" long bow with no trouble. You just have to check the clearances all around you.  
(Caption)
"Seen any deer yet?"

:biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
I use a 64" longbow with no problem.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
toby it depends on the tree but first thing you do after getting your safety strap tight get your bow and do a whole bunch of practice draws in every direction so you can get an idea what shot to wait for if a deer comes through,,,, I already know I have a few angles I can't really make so I just avoid that shot and wait for a better shot if something shows up.

but its not a bad idea to have the shortest bow you can shoot on the rack with the others for those times when the 66's bottom limb is just too long for that stand.
"Us vs Them"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
I think it's a very personal thing, it depends a lot on your height, arm/draw length etc. and your ability to be aware of where your bow is during the shot, not to mention whether you shoot out of an open stand or a stand with a rail.  I know I could probably shoot out of a stand with a 68" bow no problem as long as there weren't any interfering tree limbs around.  However, I'd much rather have something more like 56-60".  

My prescription for you is a 56" Java Man Elkheart!   :D   :D   :D
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
This is the bow that was designed to go where Long bows won't go.
 http://shrewbows.com/shrewclassic.htm

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
I have almost all 64" longbows with a couple 66". I dont have any trouble shooting from a tree stand with these any more than a 58 or 60".  It's all about mindset and preparation and by preparation i dont mean trimming every branch around you. Its about planning how you position the stand
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
It definitely depends a lot on the stand you hunt out of. My 60" Shrew is a bit hard to shoot out of a hang on, but in my bigger ladder stand it's not too bad.

60" and under works, but I think 56" and under works the best. I've got a Kodiak Magnum that is short and sweet in stands.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
I like a shorter now out of tree stands. I think I'm going to stay at 60" or less from now on

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
Short bow is an advantage in a stand, if you can shoot it well.  It depends on whether you cant or like to shoot it straight up, too.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
I have hunted bows from 66" down to 56" from tree stands and the 56" er is the way to go if you can shoot that length effectively, just so much easier to get clearance for a shot especially when sitting.

I occasionally do guided hunts and have to settle for something other than my Chippewa Wedge Lock. Ladder stands for me are especially challenging if you want to shoot sitting, and the 56" bow really worked well. I shot a 56" Thunder Child, great from blinds too ! You can make just about any bow work just depends on how much trimming you want to do but for me in a tree shorter is better.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
I don't know how this all works itself out, but I found that a 60" bow of a different make was only one inch shorter when strung than my 64" recurve.  I suppose that the arc of the limbs upon release could be a factor, too.  But given that I shoot that 64" recurve so much better, and since a "short bow" was only giving me 2 added inches of clearance on each end, I decided to stick with the longer one that I shoot well.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
I mostly hunt out of ladder stands,and the rails on the sides are a problem, especially on close shots.
TOBY

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Its a matter of draw length, what bow and then throw in personal opinion.

With that said I dislike limbs stacking and I have a relatively short draw length so I prefer 58" bows. Our woods is also very thick in spots I tend to like to set up and a shorter bow also makes it easier to move around while on stand and allows me to cut away less of my cover.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
Just so happens my favorite hunting bow is 56". but with the new summit elite I purchased last year I dont have to worry about lower limb contact like I did with the old stand. My fine tooth saw takes care of obstructions above. There is no reason to give up your longest bow after taking a few precautions.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
I shoot 64" -68" recurves out of all my stands, some are in the nastiest stuff ever. But you have to set yourself up and take some shots to make sure all is working.
I'm not a ladder fan, so I have never shot out of one....might be more difficult than a hang on to shoot a longer bow out of?
The only issue I ever had with a bow being too long was in Newfoundland hunting woodland caribou. Bottom limb kept getting hung up in the low tundra growth.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©