3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow length for tree stand hunting?  (Read 429 times)

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow length for tree stand hunting?
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 04:24:00 AM »
56"-66" bows, just have to more aware with the longer bows.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 04:42:00 AM »
64" but it's in a very open tree, I'm sure I have some limitations that I might not have with a shorter bow, but I knew that going in and I have too long of draw for much of anything shorter. Pick your poison and go with it!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
Always been a big fan of a 60" bow. Just seems to work the best for me.

Bill

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
I like 56" recurves and 58" longbows from a tree.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 07:48:00 AM »
Ladder stands are not so bad but my Viper is a different story. The shortness of the KMag is definitely nice from it but I find if I keep the top and bottom halves of the stand closer together I can stand and shoot my 58" Grizzly from it from most directions.
SWA Spyder

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
My 68" longbows cause no trouble in tree stands, but you do have to remember to be careful to provide lower limb clearance. It is just a matter of adjusting the way you prepare for the shot. However, until you get used to it, I admit it can be annoying. Tree stand design is a factor, and I use the most simple ladder stands available. To be honest, I have never considered bow length to be crucial, but using longer length bows in the trees does require some practice.
Sam

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
Tree stand are a challenge, we have to use the wind direction and stand set up to be in position to shoot out the front side of the stand. I have a hard time shooting towards the tree I'm in anyway.
I have a Lone Wolf tree stand and a Summit Viper both are great stands and good for all day sits. I use my Wolf most of the time because its open in the front. I have a 58" Schafer Silvertip.
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
60" hybrid longbow 0r 58"-60" recurve. Anything less gives stack,finger pinch or both. In treestands some shot angles I cant and some I hold verticle. Be prepared for your tolerances before a shot opportunity arises. Bring some blunt tips to your stand and try some shots. Now if I could figure out a way to deploy some doe in heat with my blunts I could kill two birds with one stone lol.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by toby:
I'm currently using a 66" longbow and am having trouble in tree stands. What length do you tree stand hunters have good luck with?
toby, when i first started i was in the same scenario/predicament.  I was hunting with a 66" longbow from a climbing stand that had the bar around the top and my first deer I saw in the stand, I didn't even get a shot at him due to my bow not having clearance.  Some tips i would give you.
1. have the top of the stand lower than usual.  I have mine where my knees were about 90*.  
2. learn to shoot your bow on a slight cant(angle).  
3. don't climb as high as you used to with a compound.
4. be sure you check the limbs ABOVE you, that is what got me.  

the best advice I can give you is to practice with it.  I know that it is frustrating learning, but it can be done.    

I now have a 60" recurve that i primarily hunt with and it is a lot more convenient than the 66" longbow.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:

Originally posted by toby:
I'm currently using a 66" longbow and am having trouble in tree stands. What length do you tree stand hunters have good luck with?
toby, when i first started i was in the same scenario/predicament.  I was hunting with a 66" longbow from a climbing stand that had the bar around the top and my first deer I saw in the stand, I didn't even get a shot at him due to my bow not having clearance.  Some tips i would give you.
1. have the top of the stand lower than usual.  I have mine where my knees were about 90*.  
2. learn to shoot your bow on a slight cant(angle).  
3. don't climb as high as you used to with a compound.
4. be sure you check the limbs ABOVE you, that is what got me.  

the best advice I can give you is to practice with it.  I know that it is frustrating learning, but it can be done.    

I now have a 60" recurve that i primarily hunt with and it is a lot more convenient than the 66" longbow. [/b]
Great response; for my Viper I ended up with these specifics:
Item 1. I go even a little more severe than 90Deg
Item 2. I ended up do that as well. Also find I need to hold for a spot about 6" lower than normal for the form I use in that Viper
Items 3 & 4: Yep!

Practicing out of the stand was definitely necessary. (having a second person on the ground to get your arrows is a very good thing too!)
SWA Spyder

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
When using my viper, I keep the top and bottom close together and I do not use the seat back against the tree. I have the lower seat straps adjusted tight where the seat is level with the bar it is attached to. Then I fold the back of the seat on top of the part you sit on, this allows you to keep the two parts of the stand close together and still be able to stand easy when the time comes. It also gives pretty good clearance for your lower limb when standing.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
I favor the 54" Black Widow KB.... Treestand mobility issues are a thing of the past. Focus on the spot you want to hit and do it, no more mental churn and tree stand gyrations.... My 60" recurve can have clearance issues with my leg & chest on short range or higher stand heights...

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by bruinman:
When using my viper, I keep the top and bottom close together and I do not use the seat back against the tree. I have the lower seat straps adjusted tight where the seat is level with the bar it is attached to. Then I fold the back of the seat on top of the part you sit on, this allows you to keep the two parts of the stand close together and still be able to stand easy when the time comes. It also gives pretty good clearance for your lower limb when standing.
I like it.
SWA Spyder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©