3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best 3D scores outdoors. I wanna know.  (Read 434 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best 3D scores outdoors. I wanna know.
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
I typically shoot 8.2 PPT (points per target). That's my running avg. I've only shot below 8PPT twice in the last couple years when it counted.  At the worlds I shot 8.6 PPT and it didn't get me into top five, there are some outstanding shots.
I shoot longbow wood arrows.  TL
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
How did you wait so long? 3D shoots is how I got into trad archery, and I'm only recently trying to get it together to start hunting. 3D shoots are so much fun, and even more fun when you go to the weekend long shoots and get to camp and shoot with great people.

Anyways, my local club does 28 targets for weekend shoots, but the summer league has only 14 targets set up.

For 14 targets, I'm happy to break 200, but regularly shoot in the high 100s.
We score on a 10-8-5 basis, two arrows each target. 10 for heart(really just a ring inside the lungs), 8 for lungs, and 5 for any part of the animal that isn't horns or hoofs.

I rarely miss the target completely, but some guys are really good and never miss the vitals. But, you have to consider that this is a game, and half of the shots are shots I probably wouldn't take when hunting. Either they are farther than my comfort zone, at an odd angle, behind/around trees, through brush/trees, etc. I also don't plan to hunt big mosquitoes or giant cobras...
I have found that anything within 20 yards is an easy 16 points for me(2 lung shots or better), so even if I don't shoot a really high score overall, I get to know what I'm comfortable with, and what my limits are.

If they have a league, or any form of regular shoots, I would suggest that you go as regularly as possible. I notice that if I shoot in the league, by the end of the summer, my score are much higher than when I start. It also helps to get the chance to take awkward shots that you might not otherwise practice in your backyard.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
If I remember correctly, most of the top shooters are averaging around 9 per target, and don't miss any.  My goal is to average 8, and hit every target.

I remember my first 3D shoot-I didn't get the correct stake and ended up shooting from the back stakes with the compound shooters.  I kept thinking that the shots were awfully long.... Needless to say, my score was pretty pitiful!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wandering Archer:
[QB] How did you wait so long? "

I am 25 and this is my 2nd full year shooting trad.  We only have tourneys in the summer around here.  I wish we had more, but we don't.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Once you start shooting these courses and keep track of your score by counting the number of shots you dropped out of the 10 ring on one hand, you'll start rubbing shoulders with the top shooters.

A lot of it is how difficult the course is set up.

Good sport!

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
most shoots in here in So.Cal. trad shooters shoot from the same stakes as compound shooters so the average shot is 40-50 yards with shots out to 80. Most of the time 50/60% will win or place for the longbow class.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
An '8' averaage may typically be viewed as competent based on a little better than average IBO and ASA 3D range distances.

A '9' average may typically be viewed as reserved for the elite on a little better than average IBO and ASA 3D range distances.

Due note: that the range can significantly effect final tabulations.

My performance was weak for me this year after 30+ shoots....I stayed around 8.2...enjoyed much comaraderie and was able to loose many arrows. Our groups often focused  more on torturing each other this year. I was in no way innocent.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
They are fun to shoot, but at times people will get discouraged on longish courses because of poor results or misses.  The thing to remember is that many of those shots aren't shots you would actually attempt in the woods.  You can be a very good hunter with a high success rate on animals because you know your limitations and stay within them but not do so well on the 3d range.  No big deal, it's good practice and good to stretch things out in practice sometimes.  I shot against a guy who was a former IBO champ with recurve once.  He gapped, and could stay with compound shooters (average ones) on long targets.  The funny thing was that he did poorly  (relatively) on short shots because of his gap at that range.  He was mainly an elk hunter and had developed his system because of the longer shots he encountered out west.  At 40 yards, he was money every time.  It was pretty intimidating to shoot with him.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
You make an excellent point Paul.  All of the courses I have shot involve probably 40-50% shots I would never take in real life based on my ability to some extent, but also because they are too far and in real life deer don't stay still, or there are too many obstacles, so many of the shots are made to be challenging for competition but not really ethical.  If I set up a course with all shots I'd be willing to take at good close hunting distances with minimal obstacles I and many others would probably shoot close to 100%.  

The nice thing about these 3D courses is the challenging shots make you better when out in the woods and its a shot you like.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
I completely agree.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline LongbowArcher1987

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
Great stuff,guys! I liked hearing all about it! Going to try the course again today:)
Ellen Reed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©