3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do Lunar Game charts work?  (Read 397 times)

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
Do Lunar Game charts work?
« on: October 22, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
I was wondering if anyone uses and or relies on the lunar charts.  What experiences have you had.  I had read that Texas State University did a study and found no correlation between deer movement and lunar movement. Up until then, I believed in it.
capt eddie

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do Lunar Game charts work?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
They probably work if you can only pick one or two days to hunt.  But I find the best time to hunt is every chance I get, and if the deer aren't moving - I do.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
I had a farmer today tell me that he has always noticed that the deer rut at the same time his goats do....always on a waning moon.

The next waning moon is just before Thanksgiving which is about when the rut kicks off around here.

But, like mentioned above, I just hunt as much as I can.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
I have mixed emotions on the subject.

I'll be watching this closely!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
It's only one of a lot of variables.  I wouldn't let just the chart dictate whether or not I was going to hunt on a particular day.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 02:57:00 AM »
What stumpkiller said x2
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 04:30:00 AM »
I'll agree with what's already been posted. In my experience, yes, they do work to an extent. But there are many other factors that influence deer movement. The biggest factor around where I hunt, is the weather. If it is unseasonably warm or cold, if it is raining or pouring, if it's breezy or really windy, will all effect where the deer prefer to be, or move. Hunting pressure, and availability of food and relative location to security cover are also important factors.

So in a more direct answer to your question, as long as there are no other factors suppressing deer movement, yes they do work. I have noticed the biggest  so-lunar impact when the sun and moon are on opposite sides of the earth, and during the full and new moon phases.

Of course there is absolutely no ryme or reason during the rut. When a doe is in estrus, or a buck is feverishly seeking and chasing, movement can and will occur at anytime during the day or night, even with minimal suppressing factors.

In both cases, stand location is the most important thing to a hunters success. You have to be where the deer want to be.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 04:35:00 AM »
I have found the moon to determine many, many things, including animal movement. I have never used a chart. I simply figure out when the moon is directly above or below the Earth for the best hunting and fishing. The daily news paper has the moon rise and set times, from there it's easy to determine the moon's position.

Like most, I hunt when I can but I will know where the moon is and take advantage of it. Back when I coon hunted a lot I would take advantage of the moon phase. The coon hunting nights proved out the moon phase was way more than just a theory for me. Quarter moons were and are the best time to get some early coon hunting done. This lead to trying the moon phase for all types of hunting and fishing.

Of coarse there's no guarantees but in my mind the moons helps more than a little. The next time you hunt a full moon try a mid-day hunt. Good Luck!!!

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 07:15:00 AM »
Well I am not sure, I hunt when I can. However, I have a brother in law, that swears by them. He only hunts when the lunar charts say it is the best time/days. He really only hunts a few days a year. His success is very hard to argue with as he takes about 130-150 inch bucks every year. he is a xbow and rifle hunter though. Could just be coincidence, but sure seems to work for him.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
I got the app on my phone just a few weeks ago called isolunar. I have been paying attention to it. It will be my first year watching.
I have Alzheimer's book on hunting whitetailed by the moon. Only thing he says that I don't agree with is hunting is best on full moon. I have found that to not be very true for me.  Except for this year. Big ol nanny hit the ground. But have heard numerous times as stated above about hunting mid day on a full moon. I'm going to try it here on the hunters moon coming up.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
I don't really use the chart but I have seen a disproportionate number of deer on mornings following a new moon.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
I just do not see how hunters can determine movements by the lunar charts unless the deer is fitted with gps and the hunter is monitoring it.   :dunno:  

Just because a hunter does not see a deer on a certain day does not mean the deer was not up and moving or feeding somewhere else.

One thing is for sure...you will not see deer if you're home on the couch.
Lon Scott

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
I agree Blackhawk.

There may be something to it, and it surely can hurt.

But you cant kill um on the couch!

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
i read an article recently that tested some of those factors, and the one that seemed to affect deer movement the most was barometric pressure. deer tend to move, regardless of any other factor, when barometric is within a certain range (can't remember exactly what it was), or when it is rising. low or falling pressure slowed them down tremendously.

i'll try to find the link.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
This is a good article.  Love the last paragraph...
 http://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/cuzs-corner/2012/11/20/the-effect-moon-phase-has-on-hunting-deer

If you google "moon-phase deer movement research" you will not find an scientific research based article to support the concept that moon phase has any appreciable effect on movement.  But if you google "moon-phase deer movement"  there is all sorts of opinions and stuff to "buy".  

Loved what Blackhawk said too...that pretty much sums up lots of what we think works or not....

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
I have been watching this for a few years.  I really do see increased movement when moon is overhead or directly underfoot.  I have seen enough to have no doubts but I hunt when I can anyway.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 06:41:00 AM »
I have the Isolunar app on my phone and look at it mostly for fun but I will say that on days they call for more activity I see way more deer while driving(I drive a lot for my job) than on days with low movement predicted.  Very "unscientific" but when I have to drive at night I pay attention and slow a bit on predicted high movement days.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »
No.
JMO
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter