3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TV Show?  (Read 349 times)

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TV Show?
« on: October 23, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
I see alot of guys posting on why no trad show on tv.  Well, about 8 years ago I pitched and idea to 3 networks that was actually little interested.  My idea was have a host, cover a legend in bowhunting/outdoors, as the actors played it out (kinda like gunstories does now), have those whom knew or working with the person interview.  I gave them the idea for 3 seasons, from people like Will and Maurice to Chuck Adams.  They came back later and all 3 said "there isn't enough people who would watch it".
I think there isn't enough money to be made, myself.  But, would love to start interviewing the few legends we still have to document it for our great grandchildren.  Just imagine what hearing Howard Hill, Fred Bear or Hugh Rich answering some of the questions we have today.  That is what are kids will think of Gene and Barry, John Schultz, Ron Laclair, etc...

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TV Show?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
I would love to see some trad shows,but like you said I think money talks.There probably would not be many sponsors,like some broadhead or sights company that would spend the money for a trad show.What company would sponsor a show if the main target for there products probably wouldn't be watching it.I love trad archery but I think it is in the minority compared to other methods of hunting.

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
If you had a blond and a nascar driver or country music singer it might work

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
Heck could even give it a reality twist, like a competition to see if the average person could perform the same feat and/or if modern tackle do the same thing.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
I would sure tune in!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
Here in Oklahoma, the wildlife department puts on a TV show called Outdoor Oklahoma.  It is a really good outdoor show that covers all aspects of hunting and fishing. Last winter they ask us if they could film us bowhunting for squirrels.  We agreed and had a lot of fun with the filming and hunting.  We had a good day and got some squirrels and had a little interview section.  Anyway it was supposed to air this Sunday but a few days ago they informed us that they couldn't use the video because we were always walking with arrows on our bows which is contrary to what is taught in their bowhunter safety class. We may try again this winter being careful not to have a loaded bow.  Sign of the times, I guess.  I know I would love to see a traditional hunting show.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
I think at one time, Back In The Day as my Kids like to put it, I think the Local PBS had such a tv show called "Indiana Outdoors". I was a Wee Archer at that time, but I seem to remember my folks watching it. Or I could be mistaken....but it sure seems like we had such a thing. Any Hoosiers remember such a thing??  :confused:
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
There's a Trad segment on this TV show

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
Ron,

Many thanks for sharing the TV show.

It's a great example of the tradition of hunting and it's neat to see you guys at Shrew Haven.

Perfect explanation of why we all enjoy doing it the hard way.

You guys got it going on.

If there was ever a traditional archery show like this one, I would certainly watch it.

Too bad everything has to be about Big Sponsors and Big Money.
Irv Eichorst

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
I'd watch it if it was on basic cable and I didn't have to add 30 sports networks and six home shopping channels to get to it.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
I would also watch these shows IF the bowhunter(s) and hosts have attitudes and personalities I could tolerate. There is only one person/show currently on outdoor TV that fits the profile for me and that's Mr. Eichler. I know he isn't 100% "traditional" but his narration makes the show more about the hunt than either the equipment or even the kill, sometimes.

A great way to lose a lot of money is to have an idea the public won't buy and advertisers won't support. It is freaky expensive to put these shows on TV. Some advertisers (sponsors) will pledge support and then not make their payments. The episodes (and expenses) are filmed and edited on the promise of payments that might not follow. For too many people hand-shakes mean little these days.

I've never been personally involved with these but friends have.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Oh, and no whispering.  That's annoying.

Over-dub the narrative in later.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Prolly my favorite trad DVD so far is Jim Neaves' "Wild Tradition".  The production value and whole feel to me is perfect.  The first time I watched it I immediately wished it was a show.  To me it made a great prototype of what a modern trad show could be.  I really hope Jim and Co. come out with a "Wild Tradition II" at some point.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter