3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Quarter Century, an elk hunters tale with pics more on pg 3  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Quarter Century, an elk hunters tale with pics more on pg 3
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
Yes, I would.  I've been doing it for 25 years.     :thumbsup:    

I'd rather "bring home the bacon" but, I can buy it in the store.  Not so, the memories.  

Get in touch with your dad this weekend.  It will be worth it.  Life is short.

homebru

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
yep, its worth it.  everyday spent in elk country is a gift.

been waiting for this thread. what a hunt!  im actually sure youre going to get your bull, and I bet sooner than later. all streaks come to an end.

thanks for taking us along, taking great pics, and giving me a little glimpse of heaven with September 1 so far away.
is it September yet??

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 01:29:00 AM »
Ryan-great read and pics.Thanks for taking us along!
Don't worry you will be blessed one day for your goodness and it will be that much sweeter!

Kenny     :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 02:36:00 AM »
Ryan,elk hunting itself is the success,being able to climb those mountains hear the bugles of the bull,breathing the clean air.
After I killed my first few elks I find myself to don't shoot elk,if not monsters,for not interrupting my stay in the mountains and I still think I am successful. It is all about the hunt.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 03:09:00 AM »
Thanks for taking us along and congrats to your dad!  I think we all have our nemisis. I know mine is the mature mule deer. It's not an inches game but I love chasing mature deer. No matter how hard I try and how often I get close it just never works out. I know I have had more opportunitys than most at them but you know how that goes. I know it took me a long time to get my first elk and when I finally did it was pure luck to be honest. I wasn't even looking for elk and happen to check a pond at 130 in the afternoon. I was wearing flip flops, purple shorts and a tee shirt. Three cows almost ran me over as I made like a tree. It was that easy.  After that it came easy almost like they started finding me.  It was like when the weight was lifted I relaxed more and sure seemed to capitalize on opportunitys more.  This year I scouted more than normal and thought I had several monster bucks figured out but that's a sore subject right now. I even had one big buck I had watched all summer at 30 yards twice and no shot. I just had to move my set up another 20 yards over but once again my hunt was cut short.  It sure seems when I try the hardest I fail, maybe it because we set the bar to high. I'm not really sure but when I'm almost not trying they fall in my lap. Last years first elk I was blood trailing my nephews deer when I came accessed her.  I think next year all scout hard for elk and go for the luck factor on deer. Maybe then I'll get my nemisis!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 06:05:00 AM »
Awesome read brother, congrats all around!!!

Don't worry bud, I truly believe..."good things happen to good people"....when it happens, it'll be that much sweeter    :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 06:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by steadman:

A question to ask yourself:

Would you continue to hunt if you NEVER brought anything back but memories?

Heck yes.  When you ARE an old timer, you sure will appreciate the memories from all the hunts after all the elk steak are long, long gone.  Some of my most treasured memories come from hunts where all I had were close calls.

Why not hunt spike/cow every year in the LE unit you will hunt big bulls again in?  Or pick a new unit with quantity over quality in mind?

I'd be pretty content to be a pack mule for your dad for as long as he needed--I'd love that opportunity as my dad does not hunt.  Congratulations to both of you!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
Ryan,  Awesome story here. I am very happy you were able to get your dad on a bull and experience the hunt with him.

To answer  your second question. Yes.  I need to be in the woods/mountains hunting to help my brain heal from a  severely stressful work environment.

Killing an elk would be icing but not the cake.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »
Ryan,great story. I'm sure there will  be more to come.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
Ryan,
  Great story, congrats to your dad on a fine Bull.

Elk country in the fall is reward in itself, but you know that. It's just a matter of time and when it happens it will be sweet success.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
Been looking forward to your dad's story buddy great read    :bigsmyl:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
I killed my last elk in, I think, 1995. I will hunt them until I can no longer hike the mountains. They are magnificent animals that live in magnificent country, and I can't get enough of it. I came so very close this season to putting one down, but while it didn't happen, it gave me hope that it may happen in a season to come.
Hurray for your dad; gives us old farts hope for the future. And the answer to your question is a no brainer; keep on keeping on and enjoy the experience. Elk are addictive!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
Ryan, thanks for the great story and congrats to your dad!
Elk hunting is tough by nature  and doing it with a stickbow does make it even more challenging. I know,  elk are my nemesis too! Your stories reminds me way too much of my own hunts with the same oh so close encounters. It will happen for you, I know it. Just as I know it will happen for me. Just being in the mountains is special, the memories are yours forever.  
I was seriously frustrated this year and still am wondering where I will be next fall and what I will be doing differently but I will be there, somewhere...........enjoying the hardest, most frustrating, grueling time with a big smile on my face!
Enjoy my friend, it will happen!
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
First off, Congrats to Mr. Steadman on the awesome hunt and thanks to you for sharing it with us. What a fine read this is my friend.

I sure hope you don't give up. I keep closer tabs on you than you know during the fall just praying it will happen for you buddy. I've been on an increadibly dry spell as well.

This year with Gatekeeper we were in elk every single hunt. Mostly bulls which sucks when you have cow and spike tags. I called in and feel comfy to the fact we both could have hung tags on bulls (or at least lost arrows trying). Tom came really close to getting an opportunity at the biggest spike elk I've ever seen but it just wasn't meant to be. I did mangage to put a 5x5 right in his lap just for gigles one day and I could tell that was worth the drive out here for him.

What I'm getting at is it will happen for you buddy and when it does the juice will be worth the squeeze...

Keep after em'...

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
Super read Ryan! I can't tell you how many times I've elk hunted and haven't got one yet. I know my first out of state Colorado tag was $25. Boy were those the days! My friend never give up as long as your able to negotiate the mountains. I love to go and one day, who knows I may get one too.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Believe me I won't be giving up. I am truly blessed, that I'm sure of. I think you're right Jimmy,  I'm going to do the opposite   :)  
I agree the hunt is what it's about, and I understand that, otherwise I'd hunt with a different weapon.  Steve unless you know the open bull units, which are tough,  the spike/cow units are our only choice and that's pretty much all I hunt. I'm not looking for horns, otherwise I'd move   :)
Thanks for following along!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
Ha, you're right about it being longer than some of us have been alive! 23 years here and I hope to have some elk encounters like the ones you've experienced some day - some of us are stuck with whitetails only and can only dream of doing an elk hunt one day    :rolleyes:

One of my favorite quotes...

"It's paradoxical that the death of your quarry is besides the point and at the same time the whole point. A chase without a kill as its object is like a journey without a destination; a kill without a chase employing all of the hunters craft is killing, not hunting." - Phillip Caputo

We don't do what we do just to take a stroll in the woods - but without the work we don't have those opportunities.

Keep working hard and the stars will align.

Alex
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
The one thing Dad insisted on carrying out

Shanes bull he got later in the hunt. He too is shooting a Stalker Wolverine with static limbs.

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
Only been on an Elk hunt once........never saw or herd one.......and I would go back in a heartbeat. Just wandering the high country at 10,000+ feet is worth every penny!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
WOW! WHAT A 1/4 CENTURY!!! Thank you for sharing it.  I hope to share the elk adventures some day.  You must just be a better guide than killer!  Seems you always get others into the elk!!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©