3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Gray Squirrel  (Read 401 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
The Gray Squirrel
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Alright, so I am really going to do some small game hunting for these little critters soon.  The area where I am deer hunting is filled with squirrels.  I have hunted them with my dad when I was 6 here and there, but never have gone out for them except maybe once or twice.

I have been trying to find stuff on google but can't really find what I am looking for so maybe you guys can help me out.  I live in Central Fl, so getting frost is kind of rare.  I have seen where people say wait for the first or second frost for rabbits, what about squirrels?  Do I need to look for anything besides those "WOLF" parasites.  I have seen a few squirrels with those things all over them, so that's a no brainer.  What about the rabbit deal what am I looking for if I have the opportunity to get one of them?

My  son is 4 and although I don't think he is ready for a trad bow I do have a .22 I cut the stock on for him so he can shoot.  I want to get him into hunting as soon as possible (get him away from the stupid IPAD)  I just don't want to be giving my family something that could possibly make them sick.  Your info on small game would be really appreciated.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: The Gray Squirrel
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
I hunted squirrels growing up down in SW FL, with a .22.  I would generally only shoot and only keep for eating squirrels that had no immediate appearance of lumps or parasites.  I always cooked the meat thoroughly.  I'm still here.  Btw- never eat the brains.  In the central U.S. its a regional delicacy but scientific evidence in more recent years is suggesting some squirrels in that part of the country may carry prions in their nervous system, which causes a milder illness similar to mad cow disease that has more long term effects/ less acute than mad cow so people aren't as aware or alarmed by it.  Basically in the area of the study there was a rash of older patients with Alzheimer's-like symptoms and they started to correlate the symptoms with long term consumption of squirrel brains.  I don't know if that only applies to squirrels from that part of the country but I only eat the meat to be on the safe side.  Again, cook thoroughly.  Squirrel jambalaya is delicious.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
i never did understand the frost thing. . .  what does that do ?  Remember, the critter is alive and hot (inside and out), frost doesn't change a whole lot.

chuckC

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
Ok, that brings a question about Central Indiana Fox Squirrels. Do you Cleam em ASAP after snuffing them, or what kind of time frame should they be Prepared. Gutted,Skinned,Etc.?  :confused:  
I have been told too many things from too many folks about it, and I Know Y'all will tell me truth!!  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
I clean my squirrels as soon as I get home from the hunt. Almost never over 4 hrs after the earliest kill. I think you could go a little longer if you had to and they would still be good to eat in cold weather.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Yeah, see here the high is still in the mid 80's.  So I am thinking first light until about 8 or so and your done.  I was reading about looking for spots on the liver for rabbits, does anyone know anything about this?  Does it apply for squirrels too?
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
Thanks Y'all!   :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
I put one in the freezer yesterday. No issues with that one. Shot him at 5 was in freezer at 5:30.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by freedomhunter:
Yeah, see here the high is still in the mid 80's.  So I am thinking first light until about 8 or so and your done.  I was reading about looking for spots on the liver for rabbits, does anyone know anything about this?  Does it apply for squirrels too?
spots on the liver of rabbits and squirrels can be an indication of tularemia, a disease that is transmissible to humans. if the liver is healthy and reddish, you're good to go.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
not being a smart butt, but the Wikipedia article on this is pretty informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
Didn't take it that way at all.  Thanks for the link, I didn't know what it was called.

Offline Mike89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
ChuckC,

I recall seeing something about when you wait for first frost, you're less likely to get a rabbit with worms.  It may be warm inside the rabbit, but parasites come from outside the rabbit in one way or another.  Maybe the cold kills the worms/eggs outside the rabbits or something? I'm not sure.

Chances are if you haven't seen anything in your rabbits and you cook them thoroughly, there's no reason to worry about it.

Mike
Bear Archery Grizzly 58" 40@28

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
During the early season I carry a backpack with ice packs in it and gallon freezer bags. I clean right away and put them in the pack.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline mh2324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
Here in Ohio I always wait for the first frost. There are nasty black maggot like worms we always called "worbels" that are under their skin and if you hunt too early when you shoot I squirrel they crawl out from under the skin. I hunted early in the heat one time and this happened. Never again. Not sure if it hurts the meat but i won't hunt early season because of them.

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 04:18:00 AM »
the parasites under the skin are harmless although they are ugly and turn my stomach to see em come out.they are a larva of some type of bot fly.if i was starving i would eat one with em otherwise no.back in the days of the depression people ate squirrels with them.the frost thing is supposed to kill the diseased rabbits and the parasites withdraw from the squirrels and the wound heals up.i have cleaned tree rats that had them and they are indeed between the skin and leave a small spot on the meat i gave these skinned ones to the dogs.i have heard where it is dry the wolfs or whatever they are called where you live are more likely also if near livestock but don't know how true that is.
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 06:22:00 AM »
I start squirrel hunting August 15, when the season opens. Obviously, it can be very warm. I carry the squirrels until I'm done hunting and clean them when I get home. I've never had any trouble.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©