3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: baking soda and vanilla  (Read 880 times)

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: baking soda and vanilla
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 07:53:00 AM »
I recently got some trails end attractent
Says all season and rut
smells like doe urine plus licorice.
Slickhead

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
Vanilla killa by Fitzgerald or they sell Nose Jammer. It has a vanilla scent to it. Just spray on the tree by your stand. I don't care to put anything on my clothes.

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
Ok , gotcha . Can anyone tells me how fox ,hogs , coyote or  badger reacts on vanilla ?
    :confused:

If someone have experience pleas to write
Thanks guys :-)
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline john gerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
Bowfanatik, According to the bottle the "Fitzgerald Vanilla Killa will attract all types of game.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by K.S.TRAPPER:
I wash all my hunting cloths in baking soda and use the real vanilla from Mexico, you can by a large clear bottle of it for about $8 if you know of anybody that goes down there on trips. Sometimes it's even cheaper used to be $5 and the brown works fine too I put it into a spray bottle and have been doing this since the early 80's

Tracy
I should have said this better, I wash in baking soda but I use the vanilla in a spray bottle as a coverup and lure. I never mix the two together that would be pretty silly.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
Baking soda does not kill or neutralize odors - big misconception.  It attracts or captures odors by bonding to them at the moleuclar level.  So in essence, what it does, is it attaches the odors thereby keeping them from becoming airborn.  I would never put it on my outer garments as baking soda will start collecting/attaching whatever molecules it comes in contact with.  What is effective is to cover your body and inner clothing layers with it prior to going hunting.  One thing I learned from a Myles Keller article years ago is to cover my hair with it and then use a shower cap on top.... makes since as the head release most heat from the body and heat escaping equals human scent being dispersed.  I use to spend a great amount of time really trying to stay scent free.... bought all the gimmicks and tried everything - same result.... deer downwind busted me unless I had rising thermals.  So - I wash my clothing in all free and clear, store it in plastic bins with some cedar, and then I hunt DOWNWIND.  I am alkso very picky now days about entry and exit routes.  I occasinaollly will use a scent killer spray and I sometimes use baking soda while I am getting dressed.

I still laught at how much money I spent on thus silly carbon suits.  I was in the military and I knew that once they are opened carbon suits fill up within a few hours and are totally ineffective at attracting anything.... and yet I bought the stuff.  And there are still writers today, often very respected hunters, that swear by them.  Of course some deer downwind will not smell you all the time - wind currents and thermals do amazing things - but it sure isn't because they are wear "re-charged" carbon suits.  Same can be said about washing your gear in baking soda.  

Every little bit helps - but rest assured the single best thing you can do for scent control is to only hunt with the wind in your favor and to really pay attention to how you will enter and leave your stands.... a deer's nose really is that good.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
Vanilla and other scents may attract deer, however the reality is big game, be it deer or other animals (for those asking) are MORE than capable of separating the "human" (many distinct odors) from a cover scent.  There is also research out there showing that unnatural or new smells (chemical cover scents) actually raise an animals alarm status. Even if they have not previously been associated with danger.

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
Couple vanilla sticks in pockets will be enough ?
Clothing washed with home made soap .....
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
Years ago I had a mature doe trail me to my tree and once she saw me the gig was up. After that whenever I hunted that area she would invariably track me to my tree like a bird dog and always finding me she would blow forever ruining my set up. Never could get her close enough to kill her. I decided the scent was too easy for deer to pattern because of its unforgettable strong smell. My wife liked it on me though!   :thumbsup:

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 01:28:00 AM »
I went to a lecture on k9 tracking dogs last week. We were told the dogs actually smell the skin cell that fall off your body . I'm not sure how anything can mask that.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
Yes I use the Baking soda on my clothes, wash them in it.  I have used the "scent cover spray", only one worked in my mind.  BUT, no matter what you do have to "PLAY THE WIND", and watch you entrance and exit route.  I have used the Vanilla and the "Vanilla killa" and they do work.  But nothing will replace woodsmanship and playing the wind.
Keep your string waxed.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Best thing I ever did was to stop buying into any scent clothing gimmicks.  I hunt the wind and once in a while use doe urine or spray my legs and boots. My success has been much greater.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©