3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Michigan Small Game Hunters  (Read 320 times)

Offline Mike89

• Trad Bowhunter
Michigan Small Game Hunters
« on: October 24, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
Hello, fellow Michigan small game hunters. This is my first season in Michigan and also my first season hunting.

My question to you is this: where do you dress your small game? According to the dnr rules, "You cannot destroy the identity or evidence of the sex of any bird or animal except for processed or butchered deer, elk, or bear as noted below."

I had been planning on removing the fur, guts, head, and feet of my rabbits in the field, as I don't think my fiance will appreciate me doing that in the kitchen (we have an apartment, so no garage), and anyway I feel like the sooner, the better. I would also like to avoid bringing the pelt in, as we've already treated the dog for fleas once and I don't want to do that again.

Now I'm thinking that I might attempt to gut my critters in the field without removing the fur but I'm not sure.

What do you all do and what advice do you have for the new guy?  Thanks!

Mike
Bear Archery Grizzly 58" 40@28

Offline bear mike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Michigan Small Game Hunters
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
Hmm I've always done it as soon as I kill it

Offline Mike89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
I guess the best way to get an answer is probably to ask the DNR, now I think of it. I'll post an answer. Additional question though. Aim for the head or the chest for rabbits? I've heard head to avoid spoiling meat

Offline Mike89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Ok heard back from the DNR.  Basically they said they talked it over with the law enforcement department and the consensus was that the sex of the rabbit doesn't need to be identifiable, but the head should be left (fur on) so you can easily tell it's a rabbit.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
I kill lots of Michigan rabbits and squirrels every year. I gut them in the field, and take them apart in the kitchen. Clean up after yourself, your fiance will be fine.    ;)
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
Aim for the head.  Shot one the other day and at release he jumped forward and my judo passed thru the back half.  Took a while to find that one.

It was pretty neat,having my son there with me.  We just went out for an evening walk, and being hunting season, I tend to not leave home without my Longbow.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Mike89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
Well today I'm going to go try again after work. I went on Sunday morning and saw neither hide nor hair of rabbits or squirrels. I did get about twelve yards from a young buck, so that was pretty cool. Hopefully I'll find something to shoot at tonight!

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Interesting question that I never considered. I've always gutted them in the field, but skinned and quartered them at home. Never noticed the requirement to maintain the sex of small game. Thanks for checking it out.

I was sitting on the ground this morning waiting for a certain doe to wander by (she didn't). I had a black phase squirrel willing to bet his life I couldn't hit him at 7 feet. I was pretty sure I could, but didn't want to bury my arrow in a big, green maple, so I didn't accept the challenge. Little bugger doesn't know how lucky he was.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
If your fiance' has issues with cleaning game in the house you may have a greater concern than how to do it in the field.  Just sayin'...
Silence is golden.

Offline Mike89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
Haha I think the problem is that it's cute game. I pointed out that she has no problem eating chickens and that it's not the chickens' fault they're ugly and she laughed. I think I'll just chop the heads when she's not looking and there'll be no problems hahaha

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©