3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any of you use a monocular?  (Read 726 times)

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
Any of you use a monocular?
« on: October 24, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Instead of binoculars, I am considering a monocular. It is WAY cheaper for quality glass, and lighter, and more compact. I've never used one. It seems to be in line with the philosophy of  keeping it simple, like trad archery.

Any thoughts, or experiences??
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Any of you use a monocular?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
I have often thought of getting one myself. Will be interesting to see how this thread pans out. What model did you have your mind on?
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »
I found mine too much trouble in locating game within the radius compared to binos.  Binos seem easier to find as they pointed quicker.  They, it, is smaller and lighter
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
Started using one some. I think I'm gonna like it. Sure nice to just stick it in a pocket. I'm still using binocs too so I guess I'm still deciding.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
I've got one of the small square Minox ones like they used in Stargate. It works ok but it is best suited if you aren't doing alot of glassing. I keep it in my pocket for when I'm hunting dense woods and just need a peek at something.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
I'm looking at a Vortex 10 x 30. Really inexpensive compared to my binos.

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 12:06:00 AM »
I've been wanting to get one for a while. No matter what binos I use, I can't get a single picture, it's so distracting when both eyes are separated...

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
I,ve got an 8 power Vortex, light handy, easy to clip to a pack or find a pocket for it. Had it for a couple years, it has it,s positives, lot of times I catch myself wishing I had a little more power, miss the depth that I get with binocs. Next step in optics, probably try a pair of 10 power Leupold Mojaves.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 12:18:00 AM »
I like mine simply because it is half the weight, and bulk of Binos. Long hikes carrying lots of gear make you want to cut weights in any way possible.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 02:09:00 AM »
I have a Zeiss 5 power...good quality, but I don't like it much. Have tried some other monoculars, but I guandamntee you those pirates in the movies couldn't see crap through a hand held telescope on a moving ship!  If you can really see anything really clear when you're not using a good rest, you have better eyes than I do!

Also have 8 x 20 Leitz binos-perfect size, but they aren't bright enough at last light. Tried 10 x 25 Zeiss with the same complaint. My best small glasses are 7 x 35 Swift Audubons and Vortex 6 x 32s. I go bigger when I can stand the weight, but a really good 6 or 7 power compact is my go-to hunting bino.  Reasonably small, light weight, great eye relief, great light gatherers, with especially clear, crisp views.  I'll suffer whatever to carry a glass like this.
Tom

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
I've got a Vortex Solo 10x25 and to be quite honest with you I went back to my Nikon travelites. My biggest issue was when you put it up to your eye you need to use both hands to spin the focus dial to me this defeats the purpose of using one. They are very light and easy to carry just not as "user" friendly as I had hoped for. I use them at work for patrolling power lines looking for damaged equipment now and they work great for that!

Steve

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
There are a bunch of smaller framed binoculars available in prices ranging from under $50 to a lot more.  Some have decent capabilities. I am not certain that any monocular would be easy on the eyes for long glassing sessions, so why not a small bino set ?  I routinely put them in a jacket pocket.  They are tools, meant for certain purposes.  They are not well designed for sitting and glassing all day, although I have done just that with my Nikon versions, but they are perfect for carrying around while deer hunting in the east or anywhere that you need to see, but at reasonable distances.

I myself just don't see the benefit of a monocular.
ChuckC

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
I have the vortex solo 10x25 as well.  And I will echo what stykbow67 and Roadkill have said.  It's nice and light but for me too difficult to get what you are trying to see in the sight picture.  Gonna go back to binos.
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline ridge runner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
I use a6x zeiss and the the thing I like the most is I can pull them out and look and still keep my bow in my hand,

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by stykbow67:
I've got a Vortex Solo 10x25 and to be quite honest with you I went back to my Nikon travelites. My biggest issue was when you put it up to your eye you need to use both hands to spin the focus dial to me this defeats the purpose of using one. They are very light and easy to carry just not as "user" friendly as I had hoped for. I use them at work for patrolling power lines looking for damaged equipment now and they work great for that!

Steve
I got the 8 power vortex and while it's good and clear glass...what stykbow67 said rings true.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
Great feed back guys, Thanks. Now I am starting to lean away from the monocular some. Two eyes defiantly give a better picture than one.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
Yes, love my Vortex 10x. It's about all me and my wife carry hunting, scouting I carry regular binoculars but the monocular goes right in my pants pocket for hunting and it's light and not in my way!

David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
I bought an inexpensive 8 x 25 and either I'm too far gone sight wise or it's not strong enough to do me any good.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Not good for extended periods of glassing, but in the whitetail woods they are just fine for taking a closer look at the clump of grass that looks like a bedded deer,  or check the headgear on an already located deer...etc
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
I sat on my binos for over 6 hours a day last week.  Actually found a bedded doe at 1.5 miles and a band of lopes at better than 2.5.  Each device has it's own application spectrum , so define your intended use before making your final decision.
Believe it or not, at artillery school, we had a class on adjusting and using binos, ---40+ years ago
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©