3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sights on Trad bow.  (Read 534 times)

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
Sights on Trad bow.
« on: October 25, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
I didn't want to hi-jack TX-Ag's thread on using sights on traditional bows. But I still wanted to ask y'all some questions.

I think I've just about peaked accuracy wise for now, but I don't feel that I'm accurate enough to hunt with. I have been considering adding a simple pin sight to my bow to use as a training aid. Do you think that would help or hurt me?

Also, I would like to hear your thoughts on  3Rivers\\' Single Pin sight.   It seems simple enough, and I can mount it using tape instead of screws. Which would be good as I don't want to put holes in my 1958 Bear Polar, and do you think it would work on my bow? I'm a bit worried about it not fitting because of the grip. However, I probably could use it as a reference point to get a consistent grip.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sights on Trad bow.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
It will work fine. I had a Cobra sight holder taped to my Bear Alaskan (many moons ago) which has a similar shaped riser. The old Cobra holder is similar to the one 3 Rivers offers. I used one pin and killed deer with that setup.
Member NCBA

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
I first started bowhunting in 1967 with a Bear Kodiak Magnum that had a pin sight on it.  Worked for me back in those days.
T ZZZZ

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
You could probably also use Velcro.
                                                        Good Shooting,
                                                                        Craig

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
I shot for years shooting gap. Use the tip of the arrow and point it at the target. Or mostly under it. Now most people want not to look at arrow but only the spot on the target. With gap or pin sight you will have to judge yardage. I think that is why so many people want just to let their brains and experience shoot the arrow without sights.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
You need to do what is best for you.
Many don't even try to adapt, keep trying different things until you find your way. And then adapt some more!
Your hunting will change, your quarry will change, your bow AND your body will change.
It never ends, and that keeps it interesting and challenging.
David M. Conroy

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
Sights were so so common back in the 50's and 60's.  I killed many deer using them.  They are great for teaching you good form.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
The thing about using sights vs instinctive style is with a sight pin you are thinking about yardage and placing the sight pin accordingly to the distance to the animal.

With instinctive style you practice a lot more and let your subconscious mind judge distance and adjust for elevation. All you do is concentrate on the spot you want to hit & "Use the force Luke".

It takes time to learn to trust your subconscious mind. Lots of practice shooting at different yardages will imbed itself in your mind, but if you start thinking about it too much it will screw you up.

you bet.... using a sight pin will help you in your shooting consistency, but it's very different than shooting instinctively.   Sights is like a rifle... shooting instinctively is like wing shooting with a shot gun.... You just do it... You don't aim...

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
Thank you Kirk!
IMO, using a sight will set one back even further if shooting instinctive is their goal. If one is having problems w/ accuracy shooting a bare bow, it's usually something in their shooting form.
I would suggest some coaching from an accomplished bare bow archer or go to a compound and set it up to shoot bare bow off the self.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 07:51:00 AM »
An Olympic coach/traditional bowhunter provided me this insight.

If someone has been used to using sights (compound coverters) and then goes without them "traditional", it is common to shoot high (for another reason). While the sightless shooter may do fine in practice just looking at the spot when the pressure of a animal shot occurs the archer will often look at the point of the arrow without knowing it.

These shots are high because almost all shots are taken much closer (less than 20 yards) than the point on distance of the bow/arrow combination (>30 yards).

I agree that lots of practice at various yardages are key for many to shoot well instinctively. I did this in my mid-teens to early 20's and it was amazing the accuracy one could attain (hit a penny at 33 yards -- the length of my subdivision backyard 45 years ago).

Then maybe 34 years of sights on compounds and I suppose I didn't have the patience to get back to that competence. That's why I string walk. I don't stare at the point of the arrow because that would be as damaging to accuracy as a sight user staring at the pin. You simply know the yardage (not a problem after 45+ years of bowhunting)put the fingers in that spot under the arrow (3 under) and look at the spot you want to hit.

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
Hmm....so it'd probably hold me back for learning instinctive. That does make sense. I don't have money to pay a coach. If I did, I would have done that a long time ago. Unfortunately, I'm stuck having to fix me. I'll go back to my light bow and work on form for a while and see if that helps. My ultimate goal is to be hunting accurate while shooting instinctive. So I guess I'll forgo the sight for now and focus solely on instinctive.

It'd be nice if I could finally figure out how to tune my arrows. lol. For some reason I just can't wrap my head around it. That could be my problem as well. I got lucky with my 60# Polar, I'm shooting 32" 7595 GT Traditionals with 225gn points on 11.5gn inserts. This combo has been fairly accurate for me, but I don't know how to fine tune. And I can't seem to get consistently within an 8" circle at 20yrds. I can get within 10" but I still get quite a few fliers that drive me crazy.I've read several different techniques and know what to do, but I just can't seem to do it. I'd rather not cut on my arrows, so I've been trying to tune by point weight. 225gn is close but I'm not consistent enough to fine tune.

Good thing I'm stubborn and want to figure this out. Otherwise, I'd be a bit disheartened.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
I think using a sight may help you in the long run. Just like any other style of shooting, you must have consistent form to shoot accurately and using a sight will help make sure your form is the same every time. I have thought about doing this myself actually. As cheap as the one you mentioned is, it can't hurt to try it for a few weeks and then take it off and see if it helped.....or sets you back.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
If you are having trouble w/ tuning carbons? Then try aluminums. They are far easier to work w/. IMO, tuning your bow and shooting form go hand in hand. Look, I had major flaws in my shooting form for 15+ years. I got a 2 hour session w/ Mike Fedora and some of his field archer buddies from the 60's and 70's. I got 10x more out of those 2 hrs than the 15 years of reading books and watching videos.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
A sight can be a great training aid. It will help you find flaws in your shooting form and release.

Offline Medicare Bhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
Bow wild,  Roy I agree totally with your last paragraph.  Upon returning to recurves after 40 years of compound/sight/release shooting I had lost my instinct.  Since my last competitive shooting was stringwalking,  it became my preferred method for hunting/3D.

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by PaulDeadringer29:
I think using a sight may help you in the long run. Just like any other style of shooting, you must have consistent form to shoot accurately and using a sight will help make sure your form is the same every time. I have thought about doing this myself actually. As cheap as the one you mentioned is, it can't hurt to try it for a few weeks and then take it off and see if it helped.....or sets you back.
I may go ahead and do that. I'll order one next time I'm getting something from them. Not like it's breaking the bank. If I don't like it. I can always pass it along to someone who wants it.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by overbo:
If you are having trouble w/ tuning carbons? Then try aluminums. They are far easier to work w/. IMO, tuning your bow and shooting form go hand in hand. Look, I had major flaws in my shooting form for 15+ years. I got a 2 hour session w/ Mike Fedora and some of his field archer buddies from the 60's and 70's. I got 10x more out of those 2 hrs than the 15 years of reading books and watching videos.
I would love to get a session with a good coach. I just can't afford one right now. All my money is tied up in medical bills at the moment. I don't think many coaches come near where I live though. So I'd have to travel to find a good one.

I think I'll hit up some of the lumber yards and see if they have some wood I can get cheaply. Maybe hanging a paper target and tuning that way would help. I've just been going off of where my arrows hit verses where I was aiming. I have them close but not where I want them. That might help some.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Didn't cost me a dime for that session. I met him at a shoot and we started talking. Are you near Mike Palmer?

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »
Just so you guys know, I passed along an article written by Jack Howard about using a sight and his method for aiming with one. Anyone interested in using a sight or just likes vintage articles can find it posted on the How To section.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by overbo:
Didn't cost me a dime for that session. I met him at a shoot and we started talking. Are you near Mike Palmer?
I don't know Mike Palmer. Where is he out of?
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©