3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First post on tradgang and a call from kirk lavender  (Read 806 times)

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First post on tradgang and a call from kirk lavender
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »
My Sasquatch sends a very long heavy arrow, where I am looking with exceptional speed. It does this whisper quiet. Kirk knows his trade well. A gentleman to do business with.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
Thanks a bunch for the kudos Eric... She looks pretty good in your hand there bro....Hopefully you still have some hunting time left and can make some meat with her....   :thumbsup:

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
great looking bow, sure to make many fine memories.  The pictures made me feel a lot better, I mean, wow, I thought my shop was messy  ;)
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
Wow, good looking bow...how does it shoot?  What is the poundage?

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
Sexy!

Welcome to the gang.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ejhorstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 02:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by The Ole' Bowhunter:
Wow, good looking bow...how does it shoot?  What is the poundage?
The bow is 51@29, but I have to tell ya...you would think its lighter. I have bows set at 43lbs @ 28in that don't handle the way this sasquatch does in terms of smoothness. I'm thinking a bit of pixie dust or something similar thats put into these bows that Kirk isn't telling anyboedy

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Eric,

I recently had one of Kirk's potential customers call and ask if they could drive down to shoot my bow before they plunked down an order. I was delighted.

The current bowyer shall remain nameless, but once this chap had mine dialed in with my arrows, and shooting his well with his arrows, I suggested he stay at the shooting line at my yard and I pulled his arrows...then told him to use the exact same sight picture and shoot HIS arrows out of my Sassy Lady...

He's already commented as you have that even though my bow was very close in draw weight, mine was much smoother.

When he shot HIS arrows out of my Sasquatch, his eyes popped...using the same sight picture as with his, his own arrows printed tightly, BUT...BUT...a full 6" higher than with his bow of the same draw.

How Kirk milks all that energy out of his limb design, I do not know nor care! I don't give a flip about speed, but speed is a reflection of stored energy and stored energy is something I am focused on as I dropped bow weight.

I ended up having to go UP in spine from .400 (shooting 3 other bows in the same draw weight as my Sas) and to harness Kirk's extra energy, I had to go .340 spine on the Sas... amazing. Deadly. Quiet and with a long history of grip issues on many bows/bowyers, Kirk nailed it...

I'm a happy, happy boy!   :thumbsup:  Welcome t o the club, Eric!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
My story is the same. Same weight, same draw length. I had to go from 55/75's to. 75/95's when I got my Sasquatch. It hits hard , pulls easy.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
Ha! So, Jim, how's come you said what i said but  did it in a couple words?

Hush yerself, Kirk!  :saywhat:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ejhorstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
Thanks doc for the welcome to the Sasquatch club!! I have to admit when talking about an awesome bow, which this one definitely fits that category, I find myself getting wordy, difficult to NOT carry on.

Also I know what you guys are talking about how Kirk's design really kicks out an arrow. Already starting to think I may have to get some heavier shafts to accommodate. I don't know the connection yet, but it seems every new bow only leads to two things....me needing more arrows and especially "needing" more bows!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
Eric, LOL...on that point about leading to more bows and more stuff...

When I finally got a bow in my hands, after all these years, other customs, trades, tries and failures, and shot one that was designed for the way I draw and shoot and my wrist mechanics, I know I'll only ever own a Bigfoot again.

There is a good tuning guide on Tuff Head site IF you happen to buy into the EFOC concept... but we'll not belabor that here.  

I tried it and quickly learned my .400 shafts were too limp... same draw, same draw weight, but too much energy transferred to the arrow instead of the shooter...

It was an investment well worth the money to buy a few more arrows and harness all that stored energy... especially since I'm shooting only 47#.  Made me feel more relaxed....envy those chaps still shooting the high 50's and 60# range bows for what it can do!  My Sassy Lady filled the niche nicely...

Enjoy the addiction... you'll never regret the investment!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
If you feel the Sasquatch hybrid is smooth and quick, which it is, you need to give Kirk's SS a try.   :goldtooth:    

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=140042#000000
shoot straight shoot often

Offline ejhorstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
It might not be all that long before a SS transfers from the want to need list. Actually been very curious about the static, don't have any static recurves in the stable and I couldn't imagine a better place to start then with one of Kirk's.  Of course, I've been finding my eye drift to the flatliner a bit lately to. I'm typically drawn to the lines of r/d longbows, but something about the riser design of the flatliner is appealing. I'm starting to think this thread isn't going to be helping my bow-coholism.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 04:19:00 AM »
That's easy Doc, I only know a few words.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2014, 06:22:00 AM »
Eric, if you like a AML style riser Kirk makes the Stealth with the flatliner limb profile, R/D, with a more traditional riser design. A buddy has borrowed mine and has a hog and deer so far this year. I may not get it back.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=137936#000000

As you can tell I like Kirk's bows and bocote. The addiction is marvellous. You have one gorgeous bow there.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Chain2:
That's easy Doc, I only know a few words.
Yeah, right, brother... I think there is more to it than that... but you really hit the nail on the head... lots of people make great claims, but those Bigfoot bows just quietly produce results!

Katman,

Nice friend to have that you loan a bow and expect not to get it back...where do you live? I might have to drop by and visit some...   :rolleyes:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Notenuftime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Just found this thread and wanted to chime in. I was the guy DocNoc was referring to. Kirk had given me his name as someone who was close to me that had one of his longbows. Doc was kind enough to extend an invitation and I gladly accepted.

The first thing I noticed in handling Doc's bow was how thin in cross section the limbs were. They were literally half the thickness of my bow and mine is 3 lbs. heavier at the same draw length. The bow I was comparing it to is a fairly radical R/D longbow made by a well know bowyer who's been making bows as long as I've been alive so it's no tool shed creation. Kirk's grip was great and very comfortable and I found it near impossible to grip it differently each time. My hand just slid into the sweet spot every time which not every bow can duplicate. Now it was time to shoot. Doc handed me his arrows and we started at around 15 yards. It drew extremely smoothly and put 'em right where I was looking. We moved back to 20 and I was really enjoying how the bow handled but to be perfectly honest, wasn't blown away by the trajectory. It was no dog, don't get me wrong, but after everything I had read I was expecting near wheelie bow like speed. (That may be a stretch but the performance of Kirk's bows is kind of legendary on this site.) I mentioned this to Doc and he suggested I shoot his arrows with my bow. Doc wasn't exactly correct when he said they were hitting 6" lower out of my bow, it was closer to 8" or 9"! I don't know how stinkin' heavy Doc's arrows are but they had the rainbow arc coming out of my bow. Now I'm just depressed! I thought I had a decent performing bow in my stable and it just got blown away! Picked up Doc's bow again and those logs he shoots flew just as flat as can be. Keep in mind the Sasquatch is 3lb lighter at 28" than mine. I was impressed to say the least.

I really wanted to shoot a Flatliner and Kirk had also provided the name of a fellow in NY that had such a bow. I gave him a call and found that he was about 6 hours from me. Now I love shooting new bows but a 6 hour drive is a bit much for my taste but fortunately he was headed to Denton Hill as was I so we made arrangements to meet. Very different bow style but I found the grip to suit me just as well. The draw was a bit different than the Sasquatch but still very smooth. At about 15 yards, the first three shots were dead center bulls-eye. Just as impressive, the much improved cast of that bow with my arrows was visibly noticeable at just 15 yards. To say I was impressed was an understatement. Like I said, I love shooting all kinds of stick bows and normally find a few at the Denton Hill shoot that catch my eye. And every time I shot them, no matter who made them, I left with a feeling of, "Well it shot nice, but not really any better than mine so why spend the money". Not this time. The week after Denton Hill, I had my order placed with Kirk for a Flatliner. Kirk told me I'm coming up on the list and I may see my bow as soon as mid December. Can't wait!

Anyway, the point to this rambling is I've been shooting traditional equipment for over 20 years now and Kirk's bows have been the only ones I've found that blew me away. I've shot some bows that were very nice, shot well, etc., but was NEVER as impressed as I was with Kirk's. If you're on the fence, find one, shoot one and you'll be buying one.

Offline Notenuftime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
Hey Doc! You better change your profile, you're not from L@ncaster anymore!  :goldtooth:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
Hmmm...

You're younger so your rememberer is likely better than mine...

I thought I pulled your arrows after you shot your bow... and gave you my bow and told you to shoot YOUR arrows...pfftt... Age induced memory loss.

See if my location changed with this post

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
Yup...it did change location. Now I don't have to spell it funny either!

Thanks for the reminder, Keith...

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©