3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First post on tradgang and a call from kirk lavender  (Read 808 times)

Offline Notenuftime

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First post on tradgang and a call from kirk lavender
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
Nope, shot your arrows. The arc of your arrows out of my bow is burned vividly into my brain. Makes me that much more anxious for my Flatliner.

You'll need to drive back up here so we can shoot it together! It's only 9 hours...

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
Ha! You need to drive back down here with a plumber friend...I got a major leak in the basement from my master Bath. I can't win!   :mad:  

My arrows, btw, weigh just around 600 gr.  Those were the 7595 with 300 up front... I have and will build the lighter Beman Speed I got the other year, too late for the season, and will work them up for next year here.  Pricey buggers, but the lighter GPI will allow me to keep the front weight, but lower my total weight...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Hey Keith,

Thanks for the great write up. It won't be too much longer and we'll get started on your "Flatliner"...

Here is something for you Big Foot Bow owners to consider... Every bow is a wee bit different and has the optimum weight arrow it likes.... Arrow speed alone does not dictate the over all performance of your bow. Finding the perfect weight arrow for each bow requires a bit of experimentation....

You ever hear that expression, "The bow seems twitchy." or "This bow requires an absolutely perfect release or i get erratic arrow flight..."
9 times out of 10 you could increase your arrow weight, get the arrows tuned right, and have that bow settle right down and you'll have a quieter set up, that's dead in the hand, & start busting nocks with it.... this premium arrow weight typically runs from 9.5 to 10.5 gpp on my bows.

There are exceptions to this rule for guys shooting competition that use lighter shafts to get a very flat trajectory.... But their form is perfect, and they typically shoot with an open handed grip....But many of these same guys will sacrifice a wee bit of speed to get more forgiveness in their bow..... The key to success is finding a good compromise.....

Thanks agian for the good words guys....Kirk

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
I'm heavier than what Kirk recommends, but that's ok. It works for me and for my purposes.  Once I get to bump around some potential hunting grounds here in TN, I'll learn if it's that much different from my past experiences and I have to actually change or tweak my set up!

I know that Kirk shot lighter arrows, both in that 9.5 to 10.5 gpp range and got some eyebrow raising speeds out of my 47# bow! I've got the arrows, that would give me that if I sacrificed some of the front weight and FOC...so till I actually get to check out new hunting grounds, I'm not building those Beman speed shafts into arrows just yet...

So far, my Sassy Lady gives me decent trajectory out to 40 (which I very seldom shoot), excellent penetration and good accuracy... but I may want to tweak it some if the country here turns out to be more open than as thick as I hunted before.

Those who read my review a couple years back, know why I'm tickled and how long I waited to get a bow that performs in all areas of my desired outcomes.  

Tip of the hat, Mr. Lavender!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ejhorstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
Really enjoying the stories and the talk on arrow tuning, it's amazing the difference in performance when you have your arrows properly tuned to the bow. For years I was die hard on only using wood arrows and didn't think much of tuning in regards to the arrow, other than matching spine. At that time I just felt I wanted to keep that traditional angle, and enjoyed making my own arrows. However, I then visited John McCullough  to check out some potential bows and he had me test some of his carbons that he had well tuned to his bows. Needless to say that after a little bit of shooting I was home later and buying carbon shafts and accessories. The performance difference is unparalleled, the whole experience at John's was one of those cloud parting and seeing the light events. Needless to say he was very patient with the ignorance of this young guy and was happy to share his knowledge.

I know my story is a bit of a different direction from the current discussion, but it was my first "real" eye opener to arrow tuning and the importance of matching arrows to bow. Now I actually enjoy the process of swapping around arrow parts and finding that sweet spot with a new bow.

On that note I am finding my new sasquatch very forgiving and firing well placed lightning bolts with minimal tinkering. Still finding myself doing alot of "oooohhing and ahhhing" as I shoot. It's amazing just how much of a pleasure it is to shoot a bow that just fits!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by ejhorstick:
 It's amazing just how much of a pleasure it is to shoot a bow that just fits!
Lots of quotable comments in your tale, but that one sentence hit me tween the ole peepers!

You said a real mouthful there.   :thumbsup:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ejhorstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2014, 03:01:00 AM »
I have many brothers of the bow to tip my hat to for responding to this post, the first post of mine and hopefully no where near the last. I started this post by saying I have followed for awhile, but my interaction with Kirk on this Sasquatch longbow  made me want to start to interact and get sharing some experiences. With no doubt... knowledge, community, and support flows within tradgang.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
YOu're in good company, Eric!

With a great bow in hand!  Many great bows out there and each has to find what works best for them.

I did. Sounds like you did, too!

Congrats and keep strokin that string... it only gets better with time!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ejhorstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
Kind of resurrecting an older thread here, but why not. So this sunday was an unusually beautiful December day and I took advantage of it to sling some arrows prior to heading into the office. It has been several weeks now since I got my sasquatch and I have to admit she is still getting those "new bow eyes" and it still feels like xmas morning getting her out of the sock and stringing her up. I've had a few other customs show up recently, but I think my sasquatch must be making the others jealous. So it goes.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
Eric,

Dunno if it's important, but your first post 4 pages ago said you have 56 posts... then all that 1st page was still 56...now it's down to 55 and repeating that number...

You have bows that are jealous?  Shame on them! Serves em right not being Bigfoots... bigfoots stomp others... scary, hairy beasts they be!    :knothead:    :jumper:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ejhorstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
Don't think I'm too worried about the post number.

But the Bigfoot to the "other bow" ratio is a bit off, in that some more bow real estate may have to be made for bigfoots before long.

The trouble with all that, if trouble it even be, is that in my last communication with Kirk he mentioned his wait may be getting down to about 2 months by the end of the year. Now words like that get me a thinking... and a bow a wanting.

Here then is the problem...when you ask your boss (non-archer) and mention you need a raise to support your dedicated and honorable bow addiction...you get really strange looks...and I personally don't understand why     :dunno:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
Harumph...find another boss!!! Piker!    :knothead:  

After I commented I see mine isn't changing either... on the post count... as you say, no biggie... just an oddity!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©