3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too Steep?  (Read 245 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Too Steep?
« on: October 26, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
This morning, I watched a nice 8 pt skirt by me at 60 yards.  After my sit, I went over to see a really nice trail that came to a hub where I saw him.  There are 5 trails all coming together at this point.  It is a great spot, but there is a problem.  The only trees big enough to put a stand in are 6-7 yards from the trail and one of the trails comes right next to the tree.  There is no spot for a ground blind but I did get a ladder stand in one of the trees and have 4 other trees real close for cover.  I am worried about the shot being too steep.  It is a 15' stand with a 7 yard shot.  If given a broad side shot, will I get both lungs if I am for a low exit with the arrow?  Would you take a section of ladder out and have the stand only 11' and chance being seen?

I just put a stand up in the yard so I can practice before I hunt this spot.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too Steep?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
I'd go with the 11' height and zipty some pinoak limbs(they keep their leaves well) around you for cover, especially background cover. Good luck!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
hunt it. i hunt trails close time. just so you hide behind the tree if there is no cover.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
I have taken quite a few deer at steep angles.
No one can tell you for sure if you will hit both lungs, too many variables that we don't know.
But one thing, although not the BEST shot to have, it does leave a very low exit hole and I have always had a quick bleed out and easy trail to follow.
BUT....practice this angle, you need to hold LOWER than you normally shoot. Its a MUST to practice at this angle to get familiar with this steep shot and where the arrow actually hits compared to normal shooting.
David M. Conroy

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
I can't hunt again until next weekend, but I plan to shoot every night after work from a tree stand.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
Well, I was able take 12 shots from the 15' stand in the yard tonight and it went well.  I shot at a tennis ball 7 steps from the tree and was able to be within 2" on all 12 shots.  It felt good.  Just need to pick a spot and aim for the heart.  If it happens, it will be exciting.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
I've shot deer from 20" ft up at distances as close as 6-8 yards.  The secret is study the shot angle and aim for the arrow to take out both lungs.  Sometimes that means studying where the arrow will exit and you may have to adjust accordingly but do so and you'll be fine.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
I shot the buck in my avatar from a height of 20+ feet. The buck was eight steps from my tree. I hit him in the 12 ring. In fact, I couldn't have hit him better with a compound bow with all the bells and whistles.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
If your comfortable with the shot angle after practice. Id stick with the higher stand. Good luck sounds like you found a dandy spot.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »
Hunt it! Pay real close attention to any quartering shots as those wind up bad at close range and height
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©