3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead noise..  (Read 540 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead noise..
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Has anyone ever heard a their broadheads whistling or making noise while in flight?

I have some Simmons Interceptors that have holes in them and they make some noise while in flight even though they are flying perfectly.  

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead noise..
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
I have tried half a dozen different heads and can't say I have ever heard noise from the broadhead.  But my hearing ain't that good so maybe there is and I don't know it.

I would change heads I guess.  There are a lot of good ones out there. No need to be less than fully confident in your heads.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
i am fully confident in the head.  I am just wondering about the noise it is making.  It isn't really a whistling, it is more of just making some noise.  sounds like rushing wind or something to that extent.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
I've read you can sand down the back edges of the vents to help. Try a search, whistling broadheads-or noisy broadheads

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
I've never heard anything from my Simmons, sure it's not your feathers?
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
pretty sure as it does it on all the arrows i shoot with it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
Dunnoh?

I never had anyone shoot one of mine at me to test if I could hear it.  

I don't notice mine making a noise from where I stand when shooting them other than a faint "zzzzzip" and satisfying "thwack!"
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »
Personally, I would try just putting a small piece of electrical tape over the holes, if the sound bothered me that much. Seems like a cheap thing to try just to see if it works.   :dunno:

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 12:08:00 AM »
If you put a small dab of grease on the back of the vent it will silence it if it is indeed the broadhead. However if you stand downrange and hear the racket your fletching makes flying at the target you will think the other is immaterial.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by bigbadjon:
If you put a small dab of grease on the back of the vent it will silence it if it is indeed the broadhead. However if you stand downrange and hear the racket your fletching makes flying at the target you will think the other is immaterial.
I don't think so.  I shoot field tips all the time and don't really notice much.  These heads are DEFINITELY more noise than the feathers could dream of being.  it sound like something cutting the air, literally.  I have had whistling before with arrows that weren't tuned perfectly, but nothing like this!

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
I shoot three blade, used to shoot snuffers now razorcaps, they all whistled for me but as far as I can tell the deer never heard them coming.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
Yeah,
i don't think deer will mind much.  I have just spend so much time getting my arrows and everything flying like darts, tuned my brace height, installed silencers, moved them, etc. and now I have broadheads that make more noise than my whole set up.  I am not concerned really, just wish i could get rid of the noise.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
I had that issue with one make. Also have shot Magnus Stingers and I didn't have that problem with them. I just avoid vented heads now that I like heavier heads.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Every vented head I've tried whistled.

I've ground the back edges of the vents, put petro jelly on the holes, covered with tape..everything I've read to help it out.

..some methods helped a bit..but still whistled.

It might not bother the deer.
If it bothers you find a solid/non-vented head.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
Zradix,
i think that is the answer.  I emailed David with simmons sharks to see what he had to say about the issue.  i would like to pump up my weight to a 190 grain head, but i already have these heads and i don't want to invest money is something I already have.  

do the tree sharks also whistle?

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
I personally think the noise comes from the air going through the vents from the spinning of the head even more than the air going past the vents while the arrow is moving forward.

I've tested this theory with compressed air coming out of a pretty good sized hose ( to keep the air hiss itself sound down).
Hardly any noise when pointing directly at the tip of the head.

I could make em scream from the sides though.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
you may be on to something!  it makes sense to me, atleast.  I think a larger non vented head should fix the problem!!

but then again, i already have 1/2 dozen of these!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Change heads on the same arrows to determine if the head or the feathers are at fault. If it is the head, try another style. Over the years, I have heard of complaints of noisy heads that are vented. Not as much with solid heads.
Sam

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
I've never shot a simmons head.
..they look nice and I might try em someday..just haven't.

I've been VERY happy with the solid VPA 3 blades.

Are you tuned to 190 heads now or are you saying you're using a lighter head and would like to try more weight sometime?

Most simmons heads are 1 9/16" cut.

a 1 1/8" 3 blade will do 1 11/16" (1.6875") worth of cutting.
 1 1/8 ÷ 2 (radius gives cutting depth of one blade)=.5625"
.5625" x 3 ( 3 blades of same height) = 1.6875" or 1 11/16"

...just food for thought.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
i am currently shooting about 195 grains up front.  I just like the larger cutting diameter heads i guess.  I have some snuffers I may try, but I will have to get me a heavier insert for them to make them the weight I want.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©