3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads  (Read 908 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads
« on: October 28, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
Hey guys thinking of switching my broad heads out for something new.  Been reading to many bad reviews of the G5 montec ss.  

I am shooting about 43-45 lbs and arrow length is 27 3/4".  

2 Blade or 3 Blade?

Zwickey Eskimo 2-Blade Screw-In Broadheads seem cheap but I would like something that flies really well like the Montecs do.  I mean those suckers are like I have field points on.

200-220 grains is what I am looking for but I can add inserts.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
The Eskimo have killed tons of deer, they are cheaper than a lot of heads and made well.  I also shoot the Magnus 1's and have had good results with them.  

There are a bunch of great 2 blade heads out there.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
If you like how the Montecs fly you could switch to Magnus Snuffer screw-ins, or Woodsman broadheads.  Similar style heads but much better heads length to width ratio wise for the money vs Montec and easier to sharpen.  If two blade is your thing Magnus Stinger, Magnus Buzzcut, or STOS 2-blade are all good fliers and have a stellar rep.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
NAP Hellrazors are very similar to what you are shooting and they take and hold a much better edge. I shoot Razorcaps which are no longer made and the Hellrazors are made of the same steel. Very tough, very sharp, shoot straight and really hold a nice edge.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »
Many great choices available.

A VPA Penetrator would be my personal pick for the  setup type which you have mentioned.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
I don't pay much attention to all the hoopla about broadheads. Essentially, if a head is strong enough to hold together when striking bone, is sharp enough to penetrate and cut cleanly, and flies well from the particular bow in use, it is sufficient. I have used Razorheads, Zwickey, and Magnus, and all are simple heads that kill a deer if you hit him where you are supposed to.  Most of us choose a head out of personal preference, and we may be heavily influenced by what "they" say. At least on whitetails, I don't think it makes any real difference. On larger and tougher game the situation may change, and subtle differences make become more significant. However, I don't think the Indians knapped specialized points to use on varying types of animals. In short, use the point that you have confidence in. If the Montecs are doing it for you, why bother with all the rest of the reports you read? Granted, I am not technologically interested, but for most situations, simplicity works just fine.
Sam

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
With your poundage my choice would be a 2 blade. All my bows are 50lbs and I prefer a 2 blade for penetration reasons.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
I look at the two blades and can only think that they effect arrow flight.  Is that a real issue or no.  I really do like the way the montecs fly I just don't like hearing all about the lack of blood trail and what not.  I am positive if I sat down with them for awhile I could get them like razors if need be, but if a two blade will fly the same, cost less, get more penetration, and sharpens easier then its worth spending a little more money to buy different heads.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
Given your poundage, I too would go with the Zwickey.  I am shooting the Eskilites with an insert and they run `145 grains.
I have tried them at different positions in relation to the fletching and not any issues so far as flight.
However, I still turn them so that they are horizontal when on the bow.  It makes me feel better to see the broadhead aligned the same way on every shot.  And that nasty edge is away from my fingers.
That is a lot of head weight for such a bow.  I went a different route and just went back to aluminum to keep my arrow weight up.  With the 145 head, my arrows are running just over 505 grains.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
zwickey is my preferred 2 blade broadhead also. I just switched this year to Magnus Snuffer on my woodies...
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
I like the Zwickey & the Magnus, I think they are both good BHs.
There are others out there too.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
Given your draw weight/length I'd stick with a 2 blade. Since you want something 200 plus grains I'd go with a Grizzly.

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
I have some 125 grain hellrazors in the classifieds   :bigsmyl:

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
I'd try Magnus Stinger 2 blades. Similar in weight to the montec and they should fly great. You won't have to worry about penetration either.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
Bad broadhead flight is almost always a magnified symptom of another tuning issue. I wouldn't worry about flight when choosing a new head 2 or 3 blade. I would choose a good 2 bld., make sure it is well tuned and you will be fine.

I would pick Ace express or Stos for that setup.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by freedomhunter:
Hey guys thinking of switching my broad heads out for something new.  Been reading to many bad reviews of the G5 montec ss.  

I am shooting about 43-45 lbs and arrow length is 27 3/4".  

2 Blade or 3 Blade?

Zwickey Eskimo 2-Blade Screw-In Broadheads seem cheap but I would like something that flies really well like the Montecs do.  I mean those suckers are like I have field points on.

200-220 grains is what I am looking for but I can add inserts.
Especially at that poundage, I would use any quality 3:1 ratio 2 blade head. try Grizzly or Tuff Head.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »
I have been very happy with the 200 gr Kodiak by grizzly. I might try the tuffheads this next season.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
For a srew-on in the 125 range I would pick a Magnus Stinger and never look back.  If your looking for something in the 200+ weight that I'd look at the Stos and use a steel adapter..
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
Woodsmans

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
Robert- If you like everything about your Montecs, I agree with Bill, get the NAP Hellrazors.  Our local archery shop recommended them and you can get them scary sharp, much better than Montecs.  I bought my son some and they are wicked sharp with a little touch-up, fly awesome, and quiet.  It should be an easy transition for you.  I use Woodsman and have had great luck with them, trying the new RMS Cutthroat 160 grain single bevel for something different!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©