3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1.5 billion $ pig problem  (Read 753 times)

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
1.5 billion $ pig problem
« on: October 28, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about this beacuse I sure don't want there to be a shortage of pigs! They are just too fun to hunt and dang good on the table.....

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/10/27/america-15b-problem-ruinous-wild-pigs/?intcmp=features
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1.5 billion $ pig problem
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
Anything the feds get involved in will be like throwing money down a rat hole as well as being a failure in the long run. I don't think you have to worry about being pigless.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
Blaino,

the only way to get rid of all the pigs in america would be to nuke it.  And i'd bet some of the pigs would become radioactive.  They are some tough jokers!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »
funny:

"I've never seen any one species that can affect so many livelihoods and resources," says a Texas official."

Look in the mirror.

ChuckC

Offline choochoou

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
My sentiments exactly chuck c
It's all fun and games, until someone gets hurt...then its hilarious!

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
They are so worried about them in New York that they don't want hunters to shoot them........   :dunno:   And we all know how well they can manage game in the Empire State!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
How's this:
  In NH, you can't kill a hog in the wild without first CONTACTING THE HOG'S OWNER AND SECURING PERMISSION!?!?! They're considered 'private property'.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
Yes, get the feds involved, that should solve the problem. Maybe they will put wolves in the states with the hogs. Sure is working out well in the west.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
some of you may recall the Catalina Island goat "problem".  they helo shot them all.  We bowhunters used to be able to go out there and hunt them year round, but someone thought they were destroying the environment and gunned them. Those of us who hunted there loved the freedom of roaming the entire island with bow in hand.  
We all understand the dynamic nature of pig reproduction. We also would like to be part of the solution....CA used to make it easy to hunt them-cheap.  Now the $$$ rules, both in the price of the license and tag and then trespass fees.  If the problem is really a "problem" then why put obsstacles in front of the average guy helping resolve it?  I am not naieve enough to think bow hunting alone will control the pig issue in places that have serious overpopulation, but we could put a dent in some of it.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
Pigs should be open season, year round with no license fee. Yep, I know a few poacher-types will use such open regs as cover to be going after game species.

Anyone caught moving live pigs should be prosecuted.

The only way to get rid of these animals would be to allow market hunting of them -- kill all you want and sell them for food.  If there was a financial incentive to go after them, pigs would go the way several game animals almost did more than a 100 years ago.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
Pigs should be open season, year round with no license fee. Yep, I know a few poacher-types will use such open regs as cover to be going after game species.

Anyone caught moving live pigs should be prosecuted.

The only way to get rid of these animals would be to allow market hunting of them -- kill all you want and sell them for food.  If there was a financial incentive to go after them, pigs would go the way several game animals almost did more than a 100 years ago.
great point
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
Bowwild that is very well thought out.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Here in FL its currently legal to hunt them year round on private land day or night, and you don't need a hunting permit.  However on public land hunting is restricted to 'day' only, and the open seasons on that particular WMA, the legal methods are narrowed also.  Recently I believe a few WMA's allow after dark but its highly restricted.  

I feel strongly that FL should open up the WMA's to year round hunting for them day or night, just like private land.  I guess they won't cause they'd have to have officers keeping track at all hours for safety reasons and to prevent deer poaching during the off season or whatever.  

I support swine genocide 100%.

Wanna hear something crazy though...this morning I was driving to work and on the radio during the news they made a blurb about how FWC in one region of FL was going to start working with some high end restaurants or some crap to bring "wild boar" to the table???  WTH???  I about spit out my coffee.  I need to fact check and see what the backstory on this is or if the newscaster didn't have their facts straight.  That's all we need is the government making some kinda management deal on them with some restaurants and then they're going to restrict private hunters even more cause its a money maker.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
get this.. Where we hunt on a WMA there are a ton of hogs.  And i literally mean thousands.  They do have a hog season that you can hunt them in march, but here is the kicker.  You can't hunt them with anything but a rimfire.  I invested in a .22 mag and it does the trick within reason, but if you're truly concerned with the controlling of them, why aren't we allowed to shoot them with whatever we want?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
Typical media crap. Divide what they tell you by 7 and you'll get closer to the truth.
lll

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
Interesting read with a lot of good points.  I don't live in a hog rich area, but I would give my eye teeth to have a big game animal to hunt year round.  I would LOVE that.

As to management...

Seems like eradication is order many areas.  That also seems like an easy problem to fix to me, but the government can rarely be relied on to make sense.

Great thread,

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by killinstuff:
Typical media crap. Divide what they tell you by 7 and you'll get closer to the truth.
That's the truth.  400# pig ain't a wild pig.  Probably raised in a pen and released.  We have a lot of pigs in FL, but they  aren't the scourge of mankind.  just another critter that needs to be chased with a bow.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
22?  Really?  Who makes the rules?
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
I wish we had wild hogs in masses in PA :/

Then again I'm not a farmer and they wouldn't affect my livelihood at all. I'd just love to have something to get after with a stick bow year round, that's for sure.

Not to mention homemade bacon jerky  :D
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
I recently spoke with a game biologist in Louisiana about hog hunting. He admitted that they are "5 to 10 years" behind with the regulations. He said that the State didn't realize how quickly they would become "problematic".

He assured me that the regulatory agency is working to make it easier (cheaper) to get NRs and Rs alike to hunt the "nuisance quadrupeds"... feral hogs.

I hope to take my first hog down there early next year.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©