3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does anyone shoot both left and right handed?  (Read 2292 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
Does anyone shoot both left and right handed?
« on: January 22, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Does anyone shoot both left and right handed? I am right handed and shot a compound that way for 17 years. When I started shooting a recurve I went left handed because I am left eye dominant.

My bow arm (right arm) shoulder has hurt a little after shooting. So today I shot fewer shots with it the picked up my other recurve and shot right handed figuring might as well build both sides. Then I got to thinking why not practice both ways all the time. I can shoot a rifle with either hand.

So does anyone shoot like this?
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does anyone shoot both left and right handed?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
I can but don't very often. It's too easy to blue screen the computer between my ears. LOL

Truth is I started as a righty because there was no one around to explain the eye thing. It does have it's advantages though. two that come to mind is that as a lefty, there are a whole lot of bows you get to touch but not shoot unless you can switch, and secondly, you can usually win a soda (or such) when you challenge someone to switch bows with you and shoot for points.  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
Yes...I am amphibious  :)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
I think there is a real advantage in shooting both right and left handed.  You need to develop both sides of your body, or one side will get out of whack and you will end up with back or shoulder or finger pains.  I don't shoot worth a darn left handed, but it keeps me shooting, and gives my right hand a rest.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
Yep I do, don't know what I am.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
Hell I cant shoot either way
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
I think it would be an advantage when hunting from a tree stand as well. Does anyone make a bow with the double shelfs like some of the old Bears?
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I am right handed and 20 years ago switched to shooting left handed due to eye dominance, my dad shot guns alot and thought it would be best, I also shoot guns left handed, but I can shoot a lighter poundage bow pretty well right handed. In fact I injured my left hand (drawing hand) to the point of needing stitches, and rather than miss bow season I made a temporary switch to shooting right handed and killed a nice buck with my wifes 53lb kodiak..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
I made the effort to take up lh'd shooting (after being a Rh'd right-eyed dominant shooter for many years) several years ago because of the increase in hunting opportunities and it's paid off tremendously.

Basically affords 360 degree shooting around your tree and helps inside the blind when you have to shoot close to one of the walls.

Was into bows with opposing side shelves (can see some pics in my Webshot addy under my handle) but always wasn't satisfied with tuning due to the draw length difference from right to left that I have.  Finally settled with same side shelves...bow has equal tiller and is very tuneable.  

Gives me less movement when I switch in a hunting situation...just re-nock arrow lower instead of spinning arrow around and flipping bow over.

Handle isn't as comfy, but that's a low priority for me in what usually ends up in a one-shot event.  Strap on bow quiver works nicely...gets upside down on occasion, but can't use a bow quiver with opposing shelves...gets in the way visually.  Also helps in the tendency with target panic that I have with Rh'd shooting.

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
What kinda bow is that ken?? I am very very left eye dominant shoot my dads lefty a bit but hunting bow is a righty

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 02:10:00 AM »
I have been practicing left a little just to balance my muscles and give me an excuse to buy more bows. I seem to shoot right better after shooting left.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 05:09:00 AM »
Budog56 - it's a 54" Striker Extreme.  Was a righty, but had enough meat in the riser for me to cut another shelf in it.  Dyamond wood is super strong....both shelves are near centershot.

Also is nice for standing up against a tree when still hunting, though i've been caught on ocassion guessing incorrectly which side of the tree the shot will be on.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 06:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charles K.:
Yes...I am amphibious   :)  
Is that you Charles Shackleford?
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
Ken, I would have never immagined...
Do you go to the Baltimore shoot in the spring? I'd love to see that one in person.

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Dave Lay:
... I can shoot a lighter poundage bow pretty well right handed. ... I made a temporary switch to shooting right handed and killed a nice buck with my wifes 53lb kodiak..
:scared:   there are no wimps in Russellville, Ar   :readit:

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
yep...about 4 years ago I made the switch to left ...I have left domiant eye, to me it made a difference and I have better on tree rats (squrriels)...    :)    ....I shoot both to balance my body . My Doctor says doing to the right, what  I do to the left , balances me...when I got the left side shooting down it was like a breathe of fresh air...good luck!!     :) ..remember pray for our troops...they really need them now...
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline jchunt4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
I have always shot right handed cause I was right handed, since I started (about 5 years ago for trad. and about 17 years compound). I have always been left eye dominate, and wasn't real happy with my progress as a right handed trad shooter, so I bought a left handed bow last year and started trying that. I can actually say it didn't take very long to get used it, and it is pretty easy to hit what I am looking at.

The thing that surprised me most, is by learning to shoot left handed, I learned so much about how to improve my form and shooting technique for right handed shooting (it was really sloppy with lots of bad habits). I kept shooting right handed because it was too close to hunting season for an all out switch, and my right handed shooting improved tremendously. Now I can actually shoot both ways, fairly decent at times.

So you can count me in this "group". And I really want one of those bows that Ken has now, that is an awesome idea.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
--Fred Bear

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
I can shoot well both ways.  Right eye dominate, but write and eat left handed.  I can also write right handed decently, I hunt righty exclusively.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline droptine59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
I shoot both ways. years ago, I suffered from real bad target panic righty as i went from heavy compound to heavy traditional in the late 70's. I went through all sorts of crap..then finally i was hanging out with Al Reader and he sad lets try to teach ya lefty. I am right eye dominant, so it was awkward at first. Especially starting out with 31#..but in a few short weeks, i was shooting lefty at 50# no heavier. I really liked 45-48# lefty. I shot as if i was born to. i shot lefty for almost 20 years until a few years ago, i took that same lesson Al taught and re-taught myself righty again. I have to use a clicker righty, but i am accurate as all get out, and am having a whole new "fun filled" experience. So I shoot both lefty and right comfortably. It is a great and deadly combo in a treestand situation.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
Ken, I had plans to make a bow like that this summer, for a friend.  Can you please e mail me a couple facts about handle placement.  How long is the space between shelves, are they identically spaced away from center line of the bow, are they at or near center shot.  Hey, now I KNOW I can do this for him.    Cool

Oh, and yes, he and I both shoot "both ways" its kinda fun.

Thanks
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©